How do you get your books published?

Hi there. I’ve only been writing for 3 years, but I’d love to know how likely it is to get your book/books published?

Like, if I’ve already posted the book on Wattpad, does it increase or decrease the chance getting it published?

And what about Paid Stories? How does that work, exactly? How much money do I get? And what aspects give me those money in the first place?

I don’t think I’m serious about this now, but I’d like to be serious one day. So… help a girl out?

You’ll get more info on this in the Industry Insiders forum. Everyone there is a published author, or wanting to become one, so they’ll know how to guide you.

1 Like

Ah. Thanks for the heads up!

Posting an early draft on Wattpad isn’t likely to hurt your chances of getting published. I wouldn’t post a final, polished draft here, though.

Will it help you get published? Do you have 1M+ reads? Did it win a Watty? Then maybe. Otherwise, probably not – especially if you don’t have many reads at all. “I posted it on Wattpad and no one read it for free” isn’t the way to convince a publisher they should make it for sale.

Paid Stories counts as PUBLISHED. If you want to traditionally publish your book off of Wattpad, I wouldn’t put that book in Paid Stories. I can’t speak to the money there, but there are people who are creating a career strategy around Wattpad publishing options.

1 Like

There’s no simple answer to this question. If there was, we’d all be published at this point! To start off, though, I’ll answer a few questions.

There’s no doubt that publishing is hard. It takes drive. First you need to know what route you want to take in publishing. The two main directions are traditional and self-published. I’d advise doing some research.

In traditional, you’ll have to query agents, who will then put you on submission to publishers. It’s a slow process, and this direction is less costly. A great resource for querying is the query shark blog.

In self publishing, you’re in control of everything. Editing, cover design, etc. It’s going to cost you money if you don’t have all these skills and want to publish well. You’ll likely need to hire an editor, designer, etc. All the work that a publisher would normally do, you’d need to do.

Definitely put some research in and decide what options are best for you. There’s already some great threads pinned here in the industry inside to get you started.

I’m assuming this is an early draft? Early drafts are okay. Some agents are fine with it and some arent, if you’re attempting to go the traditional route. If you’re going the self publishing route, then the decision is up to you. The market on Wattpad is usually a bit different than the market of buyers. I would caution against posting a final draft that you’re going to query, though.

Paid Stories is a newer program, but I have a few friends in it and have heard great things from them so far! I’ve heard of some who are doing extremely well with it and are using it versus publishing through something like kindle. it’s definitely worth checking out!

HQ has a whole page about PS, so it might be worthwhile to take a look at: https://www.wattpad.com/paidstories/writers-eng/

3 Likes

So, what you’re saying is that it’s fine to post the first draft of your work here, likely to get free readers and free feedbacks and critiques, but if you want to publish it outside of Wattpad, it’s better if you don’t publish your second to final draft here.

I had no idea paid stories count as published! Is there a difference between getting published the traditional way and the “paid stories” way?

I’ll definitely put more thought into it! Honestly, I’m just doing this to really make sure I know what I’m doing in the near future.

Oh, thank goodness some are okay with it. But what if my agent isn’t okay with it? Do I have to give him a new story entirely? Do I delete my story?

Wow, it’s great that your friends seem to benefit from the program!

I sure will! Thanks a lot! You’ve been very helpful!

That’s when you need to ask yourself what you are and aren’t okay with. Your agent is meant to be your number one champion! If you want your story to stay on Wattpad, they’ll need to work around that. That’s something you’ll need to ask them when you get the offer call. If you they want you to take it down, and you don’t want to, you can try to negotiate or keep querying until you find an agent who does what you want them to do.

They’ll pick you up based on one story, so you wouldn’t be able to write them a new story because they wouldn’t have offered, and therefore wouldn’t be your agent. Usually after that story though the contact will dictate they’ll represent your future work.

Now, could an agent offer to look at a different piece of work that’s not on Wattpad it they’re really interested and don’t want your work on Wattpad? They could, but it doesn’t guarantee an offer.

So again, you have to know what you want and be able to let an agent know once you get to an offer call. It’s really important both you and the agent offering are being honest with each other.

Getting an offer isn’t easy, either. Some writers take years and multiple books, some get lucky with their first book. So while you’re writing and thinking of pursuing publishing, think about what you do and don’t want and what is and isn’t important to you. And above all, continue honing your craft.

1 Like

The paid stories way counts as self published. You’ve officially earned money for the story.

You would just take it down.

1 Like

It really depends on which route you’re gonna take. You can self-publish and you can traditionally publish. There’s pros and cons to both. For example, self-publishing is expensive, but it really depends on what really needs to be done to the book. You can spend as low as 600 dollars or as much as 30,000 dollars on self-publishing. Traditional publishing is free, but it takes a very, very long time to get published because you have to find an agent first and then try to get an editor, and then go on submission. And even then, getting an agent doesn’t guarantee you getting published. Some authors go through multiple agents and editors before they fully become published.

If you try the traditional route by yourself, posting a book on Wattpad decreases your chances because most agents aren’t going to represent you if your story is self-published (and they consider Wattpad as a self-publishing website… whether or not you make money). Your best chances is if you don’t post it on Wattpad. It’s okay if you have a profile here—in fact, they really love a social media presence—they just don’t want you to post your story and query them while it’s still posted.

I’m honestly not too sure, but not every Paid story is going to become traditionally published. In most cases, they’ll try to get in contact with you if they see potential in it and then Wattpad will act as your agent, and in that case, you may become a Wattpad Star (?) and then yeah. xD

I’m not too sure how much you get through Paid Stories, but for traditional publishing itself, you’re not going to make much. The average income you make is about 6,000 dollars (a year). It’s very complicated to understand because there’s a lot of information on it. Basically, once you get a deal, you get what is called an advance. The advance is how much money they think your book will sell (or how much it’s worth). In most cases, you’ll get a low advance, like a few thousand dollars. The advance is spread out within two years (if it’s for one book) or multiple years if the deal is set around a series. This means that if you get a 5,000 dollar advance for three books, then that 5,000 dollars is split up between 3+ years.

Then, you won’t see any other money from the royalties until you earn out the money from the advancement. For example, say your advance is 10,000 dollars. You have to earn 10,000 dollars from royalties (a percentage of the revenue you make from the retail price of a book) in order to start getting paid. However, you only make about a dollar from royalties, so in most cases, you’ll never break even. This then means that you won’t see a paycheck for a few years… or at all. It doesn’t mean that you can’t get published again as some publishers may still publish more projects from you, but it does come with a price sadly.

I definitely recommend watching AuthorTubers (specifically who have videos about the industry) on this! It’s really insightful! :wink:

Alexa Donne (traditionally published author).

Meg LaTorre (former literary agent).

Jenna Moreci (self-published author).

I also recently saw this:

1 Like

My goodness. This is so much information! Thanks! Thanks a bunch!

I’ll read more into it later! This is definitely going to my bookmark!