How do you keep yourself from writing more than one book at a time?

Right now I’m writing four books and some oneshots for Christmas and I just keep wanting to write other things. I seem to have difficulty sticking to any book for too long and have every since I started writing. I just can’t focus on one thing for long. So how do you stay focused on one project and not work on many?

Lmao.

I don’t.

I was better at it before. I would obsessively write one storyline. But at the moment I have a few projects up and going. I like it because it keeps me writing, even when I hit a block on one of the other stories. I have some tough arcs at the moment, so I go for the light hearted for a bit, to keep me from stopping all together.

But it is hard to balance and make progress on everything when you’re getting distracted.

9 Likes

I’ve been trying to write one story since April which should of only taken me a max of two months to finish so it’s definitely held up my progress on things.

4 Likes

I devote myself to my biggest project. I use other projects as incentives to finish my current one. XD then again, it works for me. For others, perhaps multiple stories is what works for them

5 Likes

It’s okay to write many books at a time, but you’d be better off focusing on just a few. In my opinion what you are going through is this; you’re getting bored/tired of one book, get an exciting new idea for something else and start writing that book instead. We all experience that at some point, and don’t worry, it’ll pass :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I same,my best proyect i saving when is better,while write others proyects

1 Like

It’s been writing for five years so… I don’t think it ever will. But yes after I write a lot of chapters for one book I get tired of it and want a change of what I’m writing.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s a condition I wasn’t aware of. Why don’t you try making your stories shorter and more interesting? Maybe that will help!

When I had the same problem I simply kept a notebook and expanded on every idea I got until I was tired of it. When I found one that I didn’t get bored of within one page, I made a story of it. I believe if your premise is solid enough you won’t get tired of it so easily.

1 Like

I’m working on three books right now (one I feel bad that I never finished and one I’m not publishing until the other two are done). I also have a book of Ideas that I call Half Baked. My goal is not to write one story at a time but to write every day, so when I get stuck on a part in my main book I have others that I can turn to for a day or so, because if I stop it will be months before I start again.

2 Likes

I don’t. :rofl: I have two ongoing fanfictions but what people tell me to do is just write the ideas you have and you can go back to them once you complete your current WIP. If you get stuck, you can write on another book until you get inspiration for the one that you wanna write.

2 Likes

That’s exactly like working on two or more projects at once.:joy:

3 Likes

Idk what to say than :shrug:

2 Likes

For me, I just remember that I can’t handle everything at once since I’m only human and that it’s better to dedicate your time to one thing instead of many things at once. That way, you can perfect that one thing and get better at it. That’s what I’m doing with my novella. :smiley: @imtotallynotokay

2 Likes

Maybe try to keep the number of open projects under five?

3 Likes

That might be appropriate. I only have two ongoing at the moment and that keeps me occupied so I don’t have to write more than that.

2 Likes

Good for you, I’m working on three right now and I have a book of half baked ideas that will never be finished.

3 Likes

I have notebooks filled with ideas that I can go back to when I get more confident in my writing to write my originals. These fanfictions are helping immensely with my writing.

3 Likes

I plot stories that I want to work on. That means I have the idea saved for later and I’m only working on my WIP. I also hate plotting, so every time I have a drive to work on that other story, I go to plot and the inspiration dies in the graveyard that is my plot map. It’ll be so much easier when I do sit down to write it now. It also helps that I save my ideas for new stories for contests that require me to write within a time frame. Like for ONC, I can’t start until January, but a plot map will help me and the start time holds me back.

3 Likes

I tend to combine ideas if I have a lot of stories I want to write about. Right now, I’m rewriting a dark fantasy novel When Queens Fall, but I’ve also been sporadically working on a horror novel As Roses Drown. I’ve been world-building for a sci-fi project too, but When Queens Fall has been my main focus lately. It’s the project that has been holding my interest the most lately, and it had also combined about 5 of my older story ideas too.

2 Likes

I don’t get bored of them is the thing and can often write 10+ chapters of one book before I feel the itch to start a different book. No matter how interesting or if I just make them a novella.

I’ve actually been doing this since August it definitely helps me get things moving but still not at the pace I wish I could do.

Yeah I’ve started to do this as well and it definitely got rid of a lot of other drafts.

1 Like