How do you promote your book? Asking for a friend.

I just published my first book ever!!! Don’t Let Go is on Amazon! but how do I promote? What is the best way or where? any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :slight_smile:

Define your perfect reader very specifically:

• Hobbies
  • Books they LOVE
  • Movies they LOVE
  • Social media platforms they participate on
  • Magazines they read

And so on. The answers to those questions help you figure out how to reach that reader. THAT is how you market. You figure out who would read your book, and then you get the book in front of them.

Specificity if MUCH better than a wide shot. “People who love teen fiction” will just waste your marketing dollars.

3 Likes

Oh, I see, I’ll do that. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haven’t started marketing a book yet but having done some research I can share a few things I learned. For a start, Amazon has some promotional options including giving your book away for free, which can be helpful because if someone gets your book for free and they like it they may tell their friends, who at that point might have to pay for it. Amazon also has a paid promotional option but I don’t have as much experience with that.

Create a website. Having a website where potential readers can find you and learn about you, and if you have an email list they can follow you.

You can promote your book on this website (from what I have seen) and if you are a part of any other writing websites you can promote them on there. Just a note in your profile bio letting people know your book is on the market could be helpful.

You can also get well known or otherwise reputable authors to write a short review. However I have no idea how to go about doing this but it might be worth looking into.

And of course, a good old fashion google search of “How to promote a novel” is always a good start.

2 Likes

There’s many different ways to market your novel and a part of it is through socializing. Being on social media and putting yourself and your work out there toward readers that would like your story (AKA the target audience) is one of the main ways to get people to buy your story (or at least, click on it to see what it’s about). Platforms such as Instagram and Twitter are the most common areas.

Another technique could be that you pay money to do an advertisement across social media. I’ve often seen books get promoted on Facebook through their sponsorship services as your advertisement will target people with common interests, so if someone is interested in reading (in general), it may look for people who may be interested in it.

You can also look into blogging. Many writers may branch out into being a blogger as another way to promote themselves and their work. Or, you can join the AuthorTube/BookTube community on YouTube which is a similar way of blogging. But on another note, make sure you’re making quality content on a consistent schedule.

One of the major things you should probably do is have an author website. It allows potential readers to know that you’re serious about writing and you’re open to interacting with them (and other writers). It’s a place where people will not only be able to contact you, but it’ll keep everything you’ve written in a single place. They can see what books you’ve done and what stories you may be planning to release later on. Think of it as a digital business card.

The next one you can do is have a mailing list. It seems silly and not needed, but if a reader gives you their email address that instantly means that they want to be informed of new content from you. They’re engaged. So setting it up will help you get out there.

You can also try to get your book in bookstores and libraries. It’s kind of hard to explain, so I’ll just link you to this article for how you can do that.

And my final point would be to have a book trailer that you can share on your website and social media platforms. You might be able to find a professional who can whip you up one or you can try to do it by yourself, however, it’s best to make it an original trailer and not something that a Wattpad user will make (as using photos and videos from other movies and celebrities isn’t really a good thing lol). For example, this is what Jenna Moreci did for her book:

Overall, there are many different ways to advertise your book and some of it deals with spending your own money. However, there are other ways you can do it, but they’re more for future reference. For instance, you want to market your book before you publish your book. This way you have a release date and you can have people pre-order the book. You can also have a street team (where a group of people will advertise your book for you) and for more information on that, I’ll just link you over to Jenna Moreci’s video on the topic. Another thing you can do would be to see if there’s any BookTubers or bloggers who could review your book in exchange for a free copy (you give them a free book and they give you an honest review which can help the story’s reach to potential readers).

2 Likes

The best way to start promoting your story is first by asking people that you know to read your book, and by asking people on the Share Your Story threads on this platform. You must personally ask these first few readers to read your book. The reason why is because when they read your book, your read count increases. When you’re read count reaches a decent level, humans being those who have a herd mentality, readers would start checking your story.

Besides finding your initial readers, the best way to promote your book is by building relationships with your readers. If you find a reader who voted for your book, message them and thank them for your vote. If they commented on your book, thank them for the comment. Help them keep the conversation around your book. There’s nothing more valuable in literatureland than a group of loyal readers.

The third way to best promote your book is to have a good, professional, eye-catching cover. People say “don’t judge a book by its cover”. Guess what? We all judge a book by its cover. Your cover is what helps promote your book to those who don’t know you as a person or as a Wattpad writer. Therefore your cover must be a good first impression on the minds of those who stumble upon your book.

The fourth way is to sign up for contests on Wattpad. There are a few contests run by some profiles on Wattpad around the year. Contesting in such contests will increase the visibility of your book on Wattpad.

Also there’s this one profile that I discovered where the person takes interviews of authors. You can perhaps sign up for her to interview you and include your book in her interview book. Here’s the book where you can sign up for her to interview you: https://www.wattpad.com/story/195734270-authors-and-books

The final but most important way you can best promote your book is developing a good brand as an author. You can do this by having a legit-looking description on your profile, and by participating in the forums. Just like how people judge a book by its cover, they also judge a book by its author.

Also, monitor the Story Request thread. Whenever you find someone requesting a type of story that matches with the type of your story, share your story ASAP.

All the best for your friend’s writing career,
Dreus Dreyfus Amarillo Roberto El Quinto ( @DreusAmarillo ),
Your friendly Wattpad neighbor.

The way to go about promoting your book depends on a number of things.

If you have a budget and your book fits popular trends/written to market and you can identify it with some other already published by other authors works, I would suggest running Amazon ads. Learning those will take time and effort but it was worth for me. For me, they worked because my debut was in Kindle Unlimited. You have to have good marketable cover and blurb.

If you don’t have a budget to run ads, social media and book bloggers will be your best option. If you haven’t done ARCs prior to your release, I would suggest reaching out to bloggers and request a review. Do some Google research on how to do it correctly). Keep in mind that with the recent Facebook and Instagram algorithm changes simply posting a link on your page/profile won’t do you any good. No one will see it. Join authors’ and readers’ groups on Facebook. Make sure you’re on Goodreads and make sure you make friends there.

I don’t necessarily agree with the advice below:

If you have one book out and you are giving it away to people after it’s published, it won’t really do you any good. Only give away free copies to bloggers and reviewers. A lot of readers simply collect free books and never read them. Even if they read your book, what’s the point of it if you don’t have anything else published. I wouldn’t train your readers to expect freebies from you and sit tight and don’t lower the price until you have more books out.

Now, get ready for this: the best advice I was given by a number of established authors who self-publish.

Keep writing more books. Your back catalog is everything. The more books you have, the more readers will notice you. One book won’t make much of a difference. A breakthrough self-published debut is a rare thing. Just keep writing. For most authors, success comes in after 3rd or 5th book. This is when your back catalog starts making you money.

Good luck. You got this.

2 Likes

Excellent advice. Getting the book in front of readers is the best option. The more books, the more eyes. I’m going to be trad pubbed, so I’ll have some extra boost, at least for the first. But I’m in the process of prepping a second one, a different series, to be able to publish regularly and get my back list up to scratch. Publishing regularly also helps. It calls for restraint, you can’t be out there. But once everything is ready, I can “fire” them out and hopefully that will help. Ads are vital, I’ll probably go for FB as an author friend has good results with that.
I think for Amazon ads, you need to be exclusive, right?

You don’t have to be exclusive with Amazon to run ads but in my personal experience if you are no enrolled in KU, they don’t work. That was my case. There’s just too much competition and Amazon readers are all about KU.

I’m not running any ads myself right now. I found that summer is very slow and I’m probably going to wait until my third book is out and try ads.

1 Like

You do see differing opinions about ads from published writers in these forums. Some swear by them, and some (e.g. Michael Sullivan, a successful self-pubbed writer who posts often in Industry Insider), say don’t bother.

Presumably their utility depends on the specific type of work you’ve published and the audience you’re trying to reach, and how effective you are with marketing in other ways, e.g. reaching out through social media. Most importantly, whether you’ve got past that turning point where readers are doing your marketing for you by telling their friends and posting positive reviews.

2 Likes

If you have a cover and blurb that convert well (especially the cover that caters to a specific audience), you will do great. Some genres also do better in KU. My first book did well with Amazon ads because it was clear what it was from the blurb and cover. I could see which keywords would give me clicks and sales and they were all in similar genre.

With my second book, ads didn’t work. The cover didn’t convert well. And it partially was my fault because I could have done the cover to match the genre but the book discusses gun violence and mass shooting so I decided to keep the cover simple. It doesn’t say romance or music or anything like that not to take away from the importance of the content. It would do better with ads in my opinion if I had a man or a couple but that would also give the right reader a wrong impression.

Some covers just don’t convert. So I decided to leave it alone for now and move on to the next project. And since I’m not running ads on that book, my rank is way lower as opposed to the previous release at the same point in time after the release. I’m going to test a different type of a cover and blurb for my third one. I would give me a chance to compare all three options.

I think ads work if they are done right and it cover and blurb convert, but getting them set up correctly is also very time consuming and not for everyone. I’m decent with Amazon ads, but Facebook ads don’t seem to work for me that well. I’m yet to figure out how to bring my cost per click below 20 cents.

1 Like

There are also lots of marketing classes by published writers. Many of them are free. And also there are a lot on YouTube as well. Wattpadder Alexa Donne probably has a video on her YouTube channel that may help. You could also check out https://writingacademy.com. I believe the blogs are free, and if there’s a marketing class, it’s probably less than $20 a month. Chuck Wendig’s blog may also have some useful information.

1 Like

Chuck’s blog is great for writing advice/motivation in general, though if you’re looking for marketing advice I would suggest focusing on the guest posts he hosts. He tends to talk more about craft than marketing. That said, I’m sure he’s covered it at some point?

…facebees