How do YOU stay confident??

question
discussion

whaa?

It’s spam. I’ve flagged it, so it should be removed shortly.

i dont even know whats going on

It’s advertisement for some other site, it seems.

What I did was to write my OWN over-the-top, egotistical, narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, funny-as-hell review of my own book! I basically told myself EVERYTHING I wanted to hear just to keep my ego from collapsing due to low confidence like you were saying. And boy, did I feel better after that!

it’s against the rules to link to my SELF-BOOK review, but if you look, you’ll find it. :wink:
Maybe someone will get a kick out of it or at least a few LAUGHS!

@faithfulnarrator One of the best things I can suggest is to just write. If it sounds stupid, write it anyway. Whatever you write is ultimately practice, and you need practice. Writing is like any other muscle and it needs to be worked. I think part of what you’re experiencing is a lack of not knowing your voice or your character’s voices.

I can’t remember which author said it (might be Steven King), but it was said that it takes writing one million words in order to find your voice. And I think that’s about right. I’m writing my fifth novel and I’m just starting to feel comfortable with my voice as an author.

Also, trust yourself. This is YOUR story, you know it better than anyone else. While writing my current novel I had a couple doubts about some of the plotting and the way characters were interacting. I bounced my thoughts off my wife and she gave me that very same line. She practically told me to stop whining and plow ahead with the story. So, I did, and after going back and comparing it with earlier parts of the book the inconsistencies I feared weren’t there.

This isn’t directly related to writing, but it is confidence building related. I can’t remember what self-help seminar it was, but the suggestion was to surround your creative space (office, bedroom, etc) with things that have made you confident in the past. Prior to my writing career I ran a martial arts school and developed my own grueling workout routine (it was 6 hours a day/6 days a week of intense training). I’ve not feel as accomplished as when I was doing that routine. So, I decided to hang copies of that routine on the wall behind my monitor. Every time I’m at my computer and I drift into thinking mode, I glance at those papers (15 of them) hanging on the wall. They always evoke a smile, and are a pleasant reminder that I can do hard things.

Another point: outlining a story prior to writing it can help a ton. With outlining you know the story. And when you write it you’re just telling it again, just better.

Yassss. I think most people thinks outlining doesn’t give you enough creativity. You’re still being creative, you just gave yourself an easier time to be creative and add more detail to your said creativity.

I would argue that it “channels” creativity rather than stifle. Some of my best writing has some from drawing on an outline. I had one book I published (third in the series) that was roughly 80,000 words of outlining. When I actually wrote the book the final word count was 147,000. A lot of things changed in the final product, but the outline helped me make a better book.

Wow 80,000 words just in your outline? How long did it take you to outline that particular book?

I did a rough outline that took about a week, that ended up being around 30k words. I can’t remember for certain for the second outline, but I believe 3 weeks. it was mostly an information dump, as I wrote anything and everything that came to mind for the various scenes.

Now, my outline for my current book (a 300k+ word monstrosity) I’ve only done about 20k words for the outline.

Wow that’s awesome lol it took me a year almost to finish a first draft of one of my earlier novels that I had planned on writing, but I have no clue where that draft even went and I forget most of the outline for said novel. The only thing I remember was that it was about a Demon Hunteress and her Step Sister was kidnapped by demons. xD

I am def an outline fiend, so very open to outlining some more, ha! Thank your for the kind words though. Honestly, I do have a voice and a story… but it’s one story and one character. I would like to do more than just that story and that one character, since I have more ideas for other works not in the that universe. I know the thought process then goes, “why not just write that story instead and work on others later?” but… I don’t think I’m skilled enough just yet to do justice to what I have in mind for that project. I know that’s also a dangerous path, because no one is ever truly ready for anything. Butttt… Ready in the sense that I might have a bit more clout to get the story out to at least a small readership, and ready in the sense that I’ve solidified my process enough to have a rough idea of how long it takes me to complete one story. I’d also like some more experience publishing stuff off-line or at least ready to order, since all of my writing has been via online publications only and sites like wattpad. Does that make sense?

@missmadhatterqueen that sounds like a good jumping off point. Time to start drafting!

It might worth the endeavor to just start writing that larger story. Especially if that’s where your heart and mind are at. You can go at it with the goal in mind that this is one draft of the story, then if it doesn’t turn out the way you envisioned, take a break and come back to it later.

There’s nothing wrong with having one version of a story, and another, and another. I think Brandon Sanderson had two versions of the Way of Kings before the final published version.

The first first book I wrote and published was written and rewritten three times.

I’m actually in the process rewriting my fantasy series. This time around it’s much better. So there’s really nothing wrong with rewriting a story, even after its published. Well, harder to do if you have a publisher, easier if you’re self-published.

And I understand where you’re coming from with the publishing aspect of your concerns. The only way you can overcome those concerns is to jump in. It’s kinda like learning how to swim.

As far as production… it took me awhile to get to the point where I know how fast I can produce a particular story. But that only comes with practice. Once you can crank out about 400 words an hour, you’re on track producing an average sized novel every 250 hours.

Not sure what you mean about publishing off-line though.

I’m kind of thinking about trying to outline it again but it won’t be the way it originally was. It’s why I’ve been putting that particular outline off. Lol.

As in in print. I was writing for a digital publication for awhile, so my stuff was being published digitally by a magazine, but not printed. Yes, like I said, I’m not sure. I’ve been doing a few bits of writing for that bigger story every so often while I work on smaller projects, and now it’s been a few years. I would like to finish this smaller story first to get a feel for starting a story, completing it and polishing it enough to have people paying for it in some capacity. There’s certainly days when I’d rather be working on the big one… of course, when I do, I then yearn for my tinier project. Lol. The heart wants what the heart wants.

How do I stay confident? I don’t, lol!

I just continuously think anything and everything I produce is utter crap :joy:

YEP

ME TOO

I’ve been stalking this thread looking for tips on how to not do that

Whenever I get stuck, I do what some have advised already on this thread and I take a break. I see a movie, play a video game, hang out with friends, whatever that looks like.

If I still come back feeling insecure, then I give myself permission to write ‘crap’. I give myself the permission to write terrible things, and I put in my music and force myself to just write without editing. After I’m done, I leave it for a day or two and come back to it. More often than not, my writing is never terrible, or bad like I had thought, and once there’s something on the paper, it’s easier to edit later.

I also have a couple different types of editors who look over my work. I’m lucky to have a partner who reads all of my stories, and so I talk to her when I’m feeling insecure. She reads my stories in order to give me positive feedback, and gush about how much she loves it. I would highly advise finding yourself one or two people who can do this for you: who will read your work religiously and tell you how awesome it is AND that you need to post the next chapter ASAP. Even when I’m feeling like ‘oh boo hoo, I have no readers’ blah blah. I can think back to at least one reader I have, and it keeps me going.

I hope this helps and good luck to you! :slight_smile: