HOW LONG!?!? 🤯

Meanwhile, spam sells.

As long as they want, sure maybe. But after two years I wouldn’t even be the same person by that point,

After three months, Querytracker closes out an unanswered query as a “non-response” and I’d say that’s about right. Anything I’ve received past that was obviously part of the flurry of form rejections that happens when an agent spring cleans her inbox.

Yea I remember one mag (I realize that’s somewhat of a different beast) I promptly and professionally got a rejection after 4 weeks.

I wanting to go the semi-traditional route malnly for Graphic Novels, through something like Image Comics or Alterna, where it’s creator-owned.

I suspect one or two of these mags may have known without me telling them, I was really wanting to just completely write a story, so I’d have something to base a comic script on.

And while similar to short stories and novellas, their still ultimately different mediums: even manga has storytelling practices that wont translate to prose very well.

In fact, I’d say especially Manga, as there is a lot of downtime in between action.

While Creator-Ownership has been industry standard in prose for years, that’s how different the two industries are in the US.

Just to qualify, this was before I doubled down on writing prose exclusively, because I semi-got tired of the treatment I got from artists on web comic sites: on one hand they’d try to talk me out of drawing my own content, but on the other would flake out once they actually read the script, implying I was on my own.

Can you imagine if an agent worked this way? Thankfully they don’t, and I’ve met one I really like on Twitter that’s always wanting to cheer people up.

What’s even more enraging is people (aka readers) are and still fall for the scam.

That’s not spam selling - that’s a straight up scam. Those authors are gaming Amazon’s KU by using click bait to make people jump to the end of a book triggering a full pay out of pages read.

Yes, but it’s colloquially called kindle spam.

I’ve not heard that term used for those manipulating KU. The only content I heard called spam was, for example, the “books” that were stuffed with dictionaries to pad out the length. Authors such as Chance Carter and those scamming pages read write novels that have an audience, so I wouldn’t call that “spam” content. Their actions are scamming with how they manipulate read through and incentivise clicking to the end.

Personally I think spam content and scam activities are two entirely different things. But since we have different views on that, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

? Querytacker does not auto close anything. And 3 months is not a pass from all agents actually.

Huh. When I did the query-go-round and looked at my results in a pie chart on QueryTracker, unanswered queries were marked as rejection after a certain time had passed. Maybe it was 6 months instead of 3, I forget. And it’s possible this label was only applied in aggregate and not while viewing queries individually.

I mean i see stuff from 1 year ago with no resolution on agent timelines. Maybe they changed it but i have had to manually enter in closes on unanswered queries

Amazon is dreck for more reasons than that: if I want to update my cover, I expect to actually update. There should be no server delays: On itch.io this isn’t even a concern.

No, it’s not. At least not on kboards - ground zero for indie publishers - or in any of the Slack or Facebook groups I’m part of.

Having a link to the back of the book was a problem, of, maybe 2 years ago? - but Amazon has gotten progressively better at stopping the scammers as they scams keep evolving. And there have been many kinds of scams, though most the readers do not even notice.

• some writers inflated their KENP word count by screwing with the formatting to get a higher payout . . . Amazon cracked down on this and banned several huge authors, such as Michael Scott Earl
  • some writers had links to skip to the back of the book and get a full payout.
  • some writers were offering things - 'even diamonds! - in sweepstakes if you bough their book and flipped through it. Amazon banned them.
  • some writers were paying bots to borrow their book, pushing them up the rankings. Amazon seems to have improved on this, though apparently a lot of innocent authors were caught in the net.

But this all peripheral to most authors in KU, like me. If you were caught up in one of Amazon’s dragnets MOST likely you were engaging in black / gray hat tactics, or associating with those who did. Permanent bans require a human review of the evidence - everyone always proclaims their innocence . . . but of course they do. It should be noted that these kinds of scams are not solely the provenance of KU. Trad publishers regularly send out tens of thousands of copies of their books to scam their way onto the NY times bestseller list. Or we have The Handbook for Mortals author, who scammed her way onto the NY times by ordering copies to every bookstore in the States who reports to the Times.

How about when Amazon scams you? Besides I always make my books free when the option is available. And Amazon is hardly a faultless entity: they’re better at scamming than most.

On Itch.io my book cover actually updates: I don’t have to wait 72 hours for the changes to be processed. Itch.io also does other things to ensure reader freedoms, as just being able to tick “DRM Free” isn’t enough.

And you can’t even make your book permanently free.

To reiterate, self-publishing is ‘real’ publishing. Your book is available to buy, it ends up on Goodreads, most readers don’t even know the difference, or care to check.

Are most trad books of higher quality than most self-published books? Yes, of course. It’s a numbers game - 99% of books attempting trad fail. 100% of self-published books succeed. 95% of those self published books sink without a trace - if it’s ‘cluttering up’ your Amazon feed than likely someone out there is enjoying it, even if it’s not for you. Otherwise it would vanish without a ripple.

But there is nothing intrinsically superior about trad published books. If you are trad published, and I am self published, this does not mean your book is ‘better’ than mine, or more successful. Only that we chose a different path to publication. Readers determine the relative worth of a book, nothing else.

My point is that self publishing is now a legitimate path that authors are walking, and one that for many is actually better for them than even if they managed a lower tier trad contract, like a small press or digital only imprint.

I’m not sure what this means.

I couldn’t properly get my book updated, when on other places I don’t have to wait.

You can’t update your book? I’d check the file, as Amazon updates and publishes literally tens / hundreds of thousands of books a day without problems.

I agree, that sounds like a technical problem on @SarahWeaver6 's end.