HOW MANY WORDS DO YOU WRITE DAILY?

question

and @EverestNeverlynn it took me roughly six hours between the breaks i had. it honestly wasn’t that bad because i already had the chapters pre-planned and most of the scenes pseudo-coded. but yeah it was 10k words and it was kinda a bitch to do. i wrote like 6k down and then realized i had one chapter left and that was the hardest to power through. right now im currently one 6k words again, but i think im going to call it a night LOL

That’s good for you. How long is your manuscript you’re writing?

I don’t write every day, though I try to. My main goal is to write at least 200 words per day, but I almost always get over that point. It usually is anywhere between 300-900 words. There have been a few times where I will write over 900 words, but that’s when I’m in the zone. Today, I wrote over 700 words. Last night, I wrote over 600 words.

A chapter should be as long as it needs to be to get the point across. Average chapter length varies upon the story, author, and genre. But generally speaking, it can be anywhere between 2,000-5,000 words. But it can be as low as a single word, or as long as 8,000 words. Personally, my chapters can be as low as 400 words to as high as 6,000 words. It depends on the story for me and what I’m writing in that chapter. The last few chapters I wrote were about 1,200-1,600 words.

If you’re beginning to wear out, there are few things that you can do.

1. Don’t write a lot in a single session.

One of the reasons why a lot of people hate writing daily would be because of the “burn out” feeling. They can’t sit down and write so many words because it’s too much for them. So one thing to do is to write throughout the day in chunks. Like, if you usually do 1,000 words a day, you can do five writing sessions in a day that each last 200 words. Or ten writing sessions for 100 words each. Or two writing sessions of 500 words.

1. Don’t update daily.

While updating daily is one of the common updating schedules, it’s one of the unpopular kind because so many people can’t keep up with writing and updating unless they wrote the entire book before posting it. If you’re beginning to experience the burn out feeling or how it’s becoming a bit more unpracticle to write and post every day, change your updating schedule. Perhaps updating once a week or once every two weeks? This way it doesn’t feel like a constant pressure to get the work done and out.

1. Understand that you don’t have to write every day.

The point of writing every day was to form a habit, specifically for those of us that suck at keeping schedules (ahem, me). But if writing every day hurts you mentally, understand that you don’t need to do it and that you can change your writing schedule to fit how you feel. Like I had said before, I try to write every day, and usually I do, but my writing schedule is more relaxed so I’m not stressing out over writing. If I don’t write every day, I don’t punish myself for it. So my schedule is either every day or every other day most times.

And like I said on my first point: even if you do write every day, you can write in smaller chunks or just don’t write a whole lot in the day. :wink:

I need you to make this into a poster for me so that I can make it my desktop screen :joy:

Writing really depends on the person writing and their energy levels/creative highs/mindset that day.

On an ideal day, where i just sit down and write, i can do upwards of 10000 words in a day, but even then that’s just me, but on a bad day i might only manage 4000-6000 words. It really depends on the person and what they’re used to. My chapters used to be 4000-6000 word average, now it’s a 10000-14000 word average

currently, i’m at 29,878 words, and i started writing this on Sunday night of this week haha. I have around 8-10k more words left before the story is finished (2 chapters and 1 epilogue) since its just a novella, but i’m trying to power through this. i know that by the time i’m starting to edit, there’s going to be either A LOT of cut downs, or a lot of additions.

editing is gunna be rough!

Lol when is editing NOT rough? Personally, I’m working on a 100k story so I have to take my time with it otherwise I’d burn out. Right now, I’m at 49800. I’m going to pass 50,000 here in a couple minutes. So… halfway done! In total, my manuscript will probably be about 300 pages long, and the book will be about 630 pages long. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: The things I write for high fantasy/high sci-fi.

ahhh see there’s a lot of depth to that. i could never write anything remotely close to 70,000 words. i dont have enough words in my vocabulary to even do 50,000. but after this novella, im going to take it slow with my next project which im a little excited for (i write adult romances but without the smut). but of course everyone is excited when they have a new project :smiley:

I usually write 1000-3000 words a day depending on how I’m feeling. If it’s a really good day I might write more than that

You’ve got this! And, oh, yessss. Very excited. My novel is difficult because 1. I wanted to imagine taking all of your traditional fantasy elements and making them sci-fi. So I have mermaids, werewolfs, golems, vampires, dragons, wizards, etc. But they’re all in the context of science fiction. That alone, is hard to achieve. then 2. I really want to put a lot of emphasis on the characters since this is a psychological thriller with all of the main characters being antagonists instead of protagonists. and 3. I have a lot of settings and world building that I have to put in. Wars, riots, politics, magic, people from different cultures and lifestyles, etc.

So overall, it’s A LOT. But I am SOOOOOOO happy with the way that it’s turning out so far. I think that by taking my time, I’ve really given myself the chance to do justice to my world.

I’m in the same boat. More than 1k for me usually means I’ve forgotten to take care of something important

When I actually have time? Anywhere between 500 to 5000.

When I do my sprints, which is how I write most of my books? I’ll set aside 10-15 days and write about 10k a day. Those are the days when I actually manage to get stuff DONE.

I don’t write every day. But I nearly have since 2019 started, and if I write, I write between 2k-4k a day.

well, i am just starting to write like in really write a novel but i don’t push myself to write daily. its like mood thingy for me. whenever good plots pop up i write them immediately and sometimes i even cross 5000 words at a time.so if you are not able to write 2000 words daily then try to wait find good plots it will automatically make you willing to write it out without any stress. i am doing my story in draft so i am relaxed when i write and have no burden of updating. because half of time i do not feel like writing which i hate cause i wanna write but not at the same time. hope it helped. all the best!

My goal is 1000 words a day, although it’s more like one chapter a day which can be 1000-2000 words.

I try to write 500-1000 words per day, before and after work. I prefer Wattpad chapters to be over 1000 words at least, say in the 1500-2500 words range.

Very little. It really upsets me how I can’t get myself to write at all.

Honestly, for me it can be anything around 1 to 7000 words. My record is ~6700 words per day and currently I believe that it was the absolute max - took me the whole freaking day, 14h or so. And then there are days when I manage to type just one word, stare at it a while and eventually erase it :woman_facepalming:t2:

I could go weeks, even months without writing, just working on the idea in my mind, before I sit down again to continue my story. Thought when I decide to write I don’t put a word goal, I just take the time I need since I’m not in a hurry. I don’t want to wear myself out etc. since I have so much else going on that I need my mental energy for.

When I tried to write daily my goal where 500-1k words a day.
Mine is all from 1,3k-3,5k rn so depends on what needs to be told.

I can write up to 1500 words per day but not more than that because I have other things to handle than writing only like homework or dishes or eating. But sometimes I get writer’s block which might ruin my flow and I go without writing the entire day. I try to write as much as I can and now 1500 words act like a word for me