How often to update?

I’m new to posting on Wattpad. If several chapters of a story are already written, how often should I post them? We are up to 18 chapters, but sometimes it can take my co-writer and I up to three weeks to finish a new chapter with our conflicting schedules. I have four chapters posted right now, and we are in the process of writing number 19.

3 Likes

Maybe once a week? That gives you a decent buffer, and it’s fairly normal for Wattpad writers to follow weekly schedules, so no one will think it an outrageous time to wait.

3 Likes

1 to 3x per week. Any more frequent is not great for WP.

1 Like

That sounds like a good plan! That way we will have time to write between posting the chapters we have finished already.

I usually do once a week, though I had a short story where chapters were only a few sentences so I updated every other day. But I agree with the others that with normal chapters once or maybe twice a week would be the best. Just set a day/ two days of the week that you will upload. It also means you’ll have somewhere between 9 and 18 weeks (!) to write the next few chapters.

1 Like

I’m that annoying person that updates daily XD I recommend 1-3x a week as well.

3 Likes

I try for once a week but I work full time so that doesn’t always happen. Some weeks I’ve been lucky to get out two. If my husband is out of town for work I tend to get a bit more done.

1 Like

I feel like it depends on your schedules and how long it takes you to write. I write constantly but between two jobs and sleep, I update every few weeks if I’m lucky.

1 Like

I love my calendars,. I’ve started a poetry collection but make it transparent when I plan to post everything. I’d always recommend using a calendar when posting anything, just to visualise and prepare for when you need to post.

I heard that it should be daily, but realistically, who can write DECENTLY that fast? I have two “Blog-Type” books going that I have 40 chapters already written, so I’m posting those daily. Mind you, I’ve noticed that posting every day has gotten me very few reads. It could be because they’re religious in nature and it seems that primarily sex sells here on this site (I’m new, so I could be wrong). I have a third book going, still religious, and am writing it chapter by chapter. I was doing 1-2 updates a day, but again same thing. Tried at new chapter a day. Hasn’t seemed to help much, so I’m thinking every other day now. It’s hard to know.

1 Like