How Should Magic Work?

Provide suggestions, keeping in mind established canon and history. Poll will be put out later with options based on suggestions

26 Likes

intention should be a factor. if one acts without intention, it will backfire.

4 Likes

In honour of Canada day I want to suggest that maple syrup is used as a power supply for magic and people fight over the maple syrup supplies due to shortages

22 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: that’d definitely be different

2 Likes
tags!

@ACertainCrimsonFox @AllAboutWordz @Arkotract @astrophile @Azanthiel @BIoomedWiIted @BlueFangirlStreak @bluespringlife @calmwolf @Chewton @CoLLoRBLiND @DavidJrK @Deepthi_Shashidhar @dreams_i_have @d_s_t_e @dystopial @Eternal_Foxglove @FireAlwaysReturns @flyingCouch @Gigibold @GreekMyth @HeartfeltLetters @HEEdwards @IftiYousuf @inkwellheart @IntoTheTempest @JJJ000YYY @JesskyaBradbury @JuniorDragon @KalesReclaim @LailaLiliana @LigerCat @LittleMinx94 @Livkuile @LostNeverland4 @lunaetic @LuthienSeregon @misspopgoingnowhere @MistickMage @Nablai @Nonfictionism @Oblivionyx @prince_pretence @ReyenaScarr @RobosSidekick @rosebrown1k @Sam_le_fou @ShadowsOfStorms @shadowsettle @sky_is_limit @SmokeAndOranges @Spider-Hawk @SylviaWolfe @the_blank_verse @theEnigmaticPrince @TheGrumpyMountain @Theora @The_Twi1ight_Prince @UseofthePower @wildwolf708 @Xenoclea @ZoekieS @ZellaKay @404Page

26 Likes

Thanks Cat >.<

3 Likes

Ideas

Magic from nature

What if magic was natural and as people were around it more, as generations passed some grew an affinity for it through genetics. It used to be in the air and from nature, but not in NT the government is keeping a close eye on all parks and greenhouses, while trying to cultivate man-made magic.

Some old trees aren’t allowed to be taken down because they are so effective in creating this magic, but with the NT not everyone is aware of how important they are. Some are dying due to lack of care and pollution. The government wants more then ever to find the right solution in man-made magic. Flowers and plants are finding it a bit hard to grow in places other then their designated spot that the government creates (parks, green houses, etc).

The closer you are to a spot with more magic concentration in the air, the easier it is to preform. But maybe with the meddling of the government, the magic isn’t really happy–in a way. The man-made magic is kind of twisted and not right.

In the beginning, after the Rend magic made an appearance–the gods came. Nature grew and magic was everywhere. But as it was used up, and nature was being taken down for the sake of buildings and flashing lights, it was harder to regenerate.

The government decided instead of making more parks and saving nature to create a man-made magic. The parks and gardens are–in their eyes–a temporary source of magic, that must be kept from the citizens as not to waste too much. But some is always needed in the air, for those who have an affinity for it will always seek it out. If you want to find those with a gift for magic, they will most likely be near the parks or anywhere with a group of plants and trees growing healthily.

Some have more of a reserve for taking in magic than others, and at different speeds. But anyone with any capacity for magic hurts from how little there is in the air.

~ @Calmwolf

13 Likes

Hey, Jane! thanks for tagging…lemme just scuttle away, read the history and canon once more then I’ll be back.

4 Likes

No one ever calls me Cat. Huh.

But ways for magic to work… Maybe the city itself seems to be generating it, and it runs through every living thing, like a river? And if you know how, you can tap from it? Depending on how good you are, the amount of “water” coming out of that tap is one small drip per year or a small waterfall

6 Likes

Canada day~

1 Like

That’s actually a good prediction :blush:

2 Likes

Yes xDD and the purest form of magic is maple syrup, everyone knows maple syrup is very magical

1 Like

I think that magic should be a power some people are born with the ability to use. Maybe they have to use something to help them (like the maple syrup idea) but that not just anyone who has enough maple syrup can make the world explode.

1 Like

Maybe something like the speed force, if anybody here knows of The Flash. It could be some extra terrestrial force that users can tap into, to focus the energy into whatever they want to do.This of course means that there are limits, and using too much at a time could drain a user.

To tap into the magic force, users could use something like a wand, similar to Harry Potter, or if they are skilled enough they can tap into it directly and have access to abilities like telekinesis, teleportation or shooting fire from their hands. Or something.

3 Likes

I also think magic should be able to be used for good or for ill. Like maybe some people are talented so they can heal people and save lives while others destroy everything from in their path with fireballs.

What if magic was natural and as people were around it more, as generations passed some grew an affinity for it through genetics. It used to be in the air and from nature, but not in NT the government is keeping a close eye on all parks and greenhouses, while trying to cultivate man-made magic.

4 Likes

Since magic is based on he deities, I propose a contract based system. Each person enters a contract with their deity, with their deity becoming a familiar of sorts, and said deity allows then to channel their power at will. With some conditions.

1. The power of the deity must never be used agaisnt the wishes of the deity(ex: if a deity is a deity of order, their powers cannot be used to cause havoc)

2. magic spends life energy. The more spells you use in a row, the weaker you get physically. This can be trained, but never abused.

3. even with a contract, a deity can deny you its magic at any given time.

4. a deity cannot attack another deity, so they have to use magic users as proxy.

5. an incantation is needed to draw magic put of a contract, like spells.

6. the more powerful the spell, the bigger the incantation.

7. everyone is allowed to use a set of basic magic, but specialized spells, such as flying will only he available according to the contract.

13 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the tag!

I actually quite like that idea.

1 Like

Magic :confetti_ball: