How to find music to fit in your story

Hi :smile:
I was curious, a lot of books include songs that suit the mood in their chapters, and I actually do it too, but only with songs I know and like, and sometimes it’s hard to think of the perfect song to fit in.
So, I wanted to know how you guys do it (if you include songs in your stories)? Is there an app to find songs by specific topics or do you just choose songs you like and know?
Thank you in advance for your replies :smile:

I am horrible at … till now I have been able to decide that one full story song for my story.
I choose Easy by Camila Cabelo for my Walking Straight just because of it’s lyrics.

1 Like

i usually make stories based on the music so

1 Like

Honestly, I feel like YouTube and Spotify have a playlist for literally everything. Pretty sure you’ll find a playlist that is specific to the mood you are portraying in your chapter.
When I say spotify is specific, I mean my current favorite playlist on it is: Songs that get Super Drunk Brown Girls Excited.
So yeah.

1 Like

I look for cover songs because it puts a good twist on the oldies but goodies, also it can give you a ton of choices because cover artists like to try new things. I also pick one artist to heavily feature if I’m in a kick. Right now it’s Chris Stapleton.

1 Like

No app, you just got to listen to a lot of music and as soon as one song reminds you of your story or seems like it might fit, no matter if it’s the lyrics pertaining to aspects or themes of your plot or just the overall sound and feel of the song providing the right atmosphere, you put it onto a playlist so you don’t lose it. That’s what I do :joy:

1 Like

It also helps to try the song radio or whatever it’s called on Spotify. When you have a song you like that fits, let the app play you some songs it categorises as similar to that song.

Also check out artists that are similar to the ones you’re already using, you can usually find a list when you go to an artist’s page.

And I always have the option turned on where it will give you suggestions for your playlist at the very bottom so you can listen to those and add them if they’re good.

1 Like

Yeah this is basically it. I just listen to a lot of songs in the background while working and when there’s one that I like or think will work with one of my stories, I just list them down. :smiley:

2 Likes

I do a lot of YouTubing. I pick a style of music and stick with that, so it creates a “vibe” for the entire book. I also try to make sure that the song I pick fits the chapter, whether it’s the mood or the lyrics. For example, one of my stories takes place during a drought, so I chose Americana, singer/songwriter type songs. For my NaNoWriMo, I’m going with Lowrider Oldies and songs that have the same feel. The story takes place at a factory way out in the boonies on Route 66, so I felt that Oldies would be a good fit.

1 Like

I love music and listen to a lot of different kinds, so it’s not too hard for me to picture a song that fits the mood.

1 Like

I tend to find movie/television soundtracks. I get really distracted if a song is playing while I’m writing because then I’ll write the lyrics, so I don’t usually put songs with chapters unless they’re instrumental - if I’m distracted, then the reader might be too.
I listen to several composers - John Powell, Hans Zimmer, Rupert Gregson-Williams, to name a few. I’ll only add a song to a chapter if the lyrics themselves are in the chapter; I recently added “Raining Men” which was a lot of fun.
Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Interesting… Great idea! :smile:

Do a playlist! Nice idea! Thanks :smile:

I also tend to do that, I add songs in the chapters if I really include the lyrics or if my characters are listening to it! :smile:

1 Like

@xxAspen_Wintersxx @pretentiousQ @gracemadden1234 @MeiSummer @Van_Carley @SamanthaMarkle92 Thank you all for your replies :smile: It helps! :smile:
Though, someone really need to create an app to help us! #lol :grin:

2 Likes

I wish we can integrate spotify to Wattpad! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not alone! My MC Lily listens to music, it’s her crutch for getting through school, and I’ve made a note of all the artists she listens to/is drawn to. I don’t add them to the chapters unless it’s specific though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice idea that Wattpad could use! :smile:

1 Like

It’s the same for my MC, they could be friends! :grin:

1 Like

They absolutely could be! What’s your MC like?

1 Like