How to gain hardcore readers/audience??

I’ve been writing on here for over a year, and yet my following is lagging. I think my book covers are above average (most of them are the same quality as seen in this post). My writing is based off of “zero drafts,” but are still presentable for wattpad. I used to have over 10,000 followers in a different account, but now I’m struggling. Did something change??

After some posts: It seems that we are together and agree on some things. After the 2014, it’s become apparent that gaining a good audience has become a struggle. There is something that is pushing readers to paid stories, when there are good quality works out there that are completely free. Do not get me wrong, as a writer I would love to make passive income, but without readers, this is impossible…

I love writing, but it’s tough when there is no encouragement from a single reader to keep on pushing on.

How about going back to your old account?

2 Likes

Thanks. That could work, but I decided to reimagine my author pen name and kind of got rid of my old account. I’ve put a lot of work into this new account, however.
I think it shows, but apparently I’m doing something negative that is not producing results.

You don’t

2 Likes

Lol, so there’s no legit audience out there…

1 Like

Nope

1 Like

Darn it!!!

1 Like

It takes time. A lot of your former followers are probably inactive. You have to create a new following audience. Try doing read for reads. Market yourself on different platforms, stuff like that.

6 Likes

What is a read for read???

It’s when somebody reads your book while you read theirs. You don’t usually get a legitimate audience from this, though. They usually bail after you update again

2 Likes

This

2 Likes

They usually bail after you update again

That’s not always true.

1 Like

It’s a 90% chance thing

2 Likes

I had 3K followers on my first account and at least half a million reads. I deleted it to take my writing in a different direction (plus a lot of users left Wattpad, so I wanted a more active following). Something did change. I don’t know what happened during my hiatus, but this isn’t quite the same site I joined 5/6 years ago. I can say that more writers seem to hang out here than readers, so the main site is still your best bet for building an organic following. I just have to figure out how to reach them in a different way than before (I didn’t do anything before, lol).

4 Likes

I mean, you just kind of have to build it up slowly. When I first started posting, I had all of 2 devoted readers. Now I have about 7 or 8. I might have more, but unless they comment or vote, I don’t know about them. You just have to keep writing and keep promoting your work.

1 Like

Yes!!!
I didn’t do anything at all last time as well. But now!!! now, it takes forever to gain one reader. I need a fan base.

How do you promote your work, give some examples please…

how old is your other account? because wattpad has only gotten bigger and more competitive over the years

1 Like

My other account was back in 2014, what other sites are competing, if that’s what you mean.

They mean that there are more writers on the site now.

2 Likes