How to Make a Living as a Professional Self-Published Author

I actually just purchased Ella, The Slayer. I’m not usually one for novels that have historical settings, but that one caught my attention. I’m a huge fan of all things undead. :joy:

Congrats on your success. :slight_smile: I just started the publishing journey this year, so I’m making peanuts in comparison. lol

Do you mind if I ask how long it took to reach 6 figures and how many books you had out by then? Did you have one book that went crazy or was it a combination of them all?

I’m curious too. :open_mouth:

Reviews are so hard to get. I think I have 18 on Goodreads and 7 on Amazon, and my book was released in February.

Congrats on getting your debut novel out there. :slight_smile:

I plan to try an editor/proofreader I found on Fiverr. They charge like $110-220 or something, depending on length.

Yeah? :open_mouth: what was your first book that you published if I may ask?

It’s called “Her Lover’s Face.” :slight_smile: I wrote it twelve years ago, but I didn’t do anything with it until I joined Wattpad a few years back.

oh ok, I read in your previous posts that you started publishing this year?

Yep :slight_smile:

My book was released by Black Velvet Seductions. Since then, I’ve had two short stories published and have been working on editing what I hope will be my next book, providing the publisher likes the new edits that he requested.

can you PM me?

Not every editor charges that high. I don’t, for example. Just remember: cheap, high quality, fast. You can only pick two.

Thank you for the long (and honest) reply about self-publishing. As there are factors an author can control (writing, editing), there are too many factors outside of our control. If those happen to match, then both the book and the author succeeds. Or maybe not.

As for me, I would like a combination of both: being an author who writes for fun and the one who writes for money. However, at the same time, being an author who writes for money is exhausting. From the constant advertising to the constant editing and rewriting to market/genre demands.

It’s understandable why those authors got angry. They spent months, years (if not) decades writing a single book. So when they approach an editor who tells them that (for example) to rewrite 90% of the book because of market or spelling reasons, those authors get pissed. I suspect many wanted affirmation and not be told what they needed to hear.

Don’t forget the other two that came after. The 50 Shades movies are a trilogy covering all three books. Oh yeah, the books are now being rewritten from Grey’s POV and they’ve become bestsellers.

Short answer to your question - I had 5 books out (4 in one series and Ella) when I hit 6 figures. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to chat in pm.

Given I’ve been a target for SchuylerThorpe’s bullying and harassment for the last 4 years, and that he has hijacked this thread to continue to attack me, I won’t be sharing my journey, nor how I’ve grown my income, publicly.

I still don’t like them and haven’t seen the movies. That’s just me. my opinion.

I can understand that. I’ve sent you a private message :slight_smile:

I can understand how you feel, I sent you a PM

Do you like steamy romances? What did you dislike about the series?

I, personally, didn’t mind the series. I mean her writing style doesn’t compare to say Nora Roberts, but it was okay.

I mind that it was SUCH an abusive relationship! Both emotionally and physically and it’s really never shown as that. It’s not BDSM, it’s abuse!

I love steamy romances and even try to write them. What I didn’t like was that I couldn’t fall into the first book. It lost me on the very first page and my inner editor kicked in.

I know there is the one scene that crosses over towards abuse in the movie where he uses that whip or something(been a while since I’ve seen it) when she tries to get him to help her understand his pain, and she leaves him over it, and then the other where she cries out the safe word…

But I think the story more so revolves around his tortured soul and how he grows to become more than that. My thoughts anyway. I guess I focused less on the bdsm part.