How to start a romantic story?

discussion

I am back again and this time I have a new topic to discuss about…
its more of your opinions for which I create a topic a place for me to learn from your knowledge
so I am on the verge of starting my first story but there are many I have read so how do you think a beginning should be the classical “I woke up to the shining sun”
or something different or as some choose to write here I am bright early in the morning in the campus of… etc etc etc…
the start is where people decide to continue or not to so it the most important and the most neglected part I feel
but again like I said not my opinions this is the place for your opinions
well today I have started a topic for romantic stories I will soon start topics for the start of other stories tooo… so stay tuned and help me with your mindblowing advices
love,
@TanyBafna

If a story starts with “I woke up…” or something similar, I’d probably put it down immediately. I want the first chapter to be an interesting set-up; something non-mundane must happen that introduces the character and makes me want to know more about them.

These kinds of openings are vastly considered to be cliche and not quality work. Your opening is your eye-catcher, your debut, your punch that knocks your reader out and leaves them hooked.

Many like when stories begin in the middle of something, such as your mc is rushing to work cause they’re late, or they are arguing with a store worker on a coupon’s expiration date. That is a popular and interesting way to start your story.

Another way is to have them in a casual setting. They are going into a coffee shop to grab their breakfast, and that has nothing to do with the rest of the story, or something like that. You could have them wake up to the sound of someone calling them when they fell asleep at work, or started describing some dramatic moment and it turns out they were reading/watching tv.

Just please, for the sake of your future self, don’t start out, ‘hi my name is … and I look like … and I have a crush on …’ You will most probably regret it later.

While my romace starts out with the MC working at a coffee shop. xD

When I see a character waking up scene, I move on. The issue with cliche scenes is that when used right away, they give the impression they will be like so many other’s we clicked on.

There’s nothing wrong with cliches, when used at the right time and used sparingly.

But it’s sort of like the excerpt in the blurb or the two people kissing for the first time. That, “you know you want me” scene. It’s showing the reader’s it will be generic, even if the story itself is actually quite unique.

First impressions are vital.

The first chapter should show your character’s personality. We don’t need to watch them get ready for the new day, but we do need to see who they are as a person.

Pick an opening that shows that. Have dialog that gives reader’s a chance to experience them.

It does not have to be perfect, it just has to get the ball rolling. The great part about writing here is that things can be changed at any time. Most of us do not keep our original first chapter.

My first chapter is in a coffee shop, where my MC works. It’s a dull shift, as there are events going on in town that are stealing away her customers.

When her favorite customer comes in, the slow shift gives them a chance to hang out, which they don’t get the chance to do as often. Them hanging out kicks off the series of events. So while it does seem like a chill chapter, it’s an incredibly important one.

My MC is writing a book. One of her favorite customers walks in on his way to wotk, but it isn’t the love interest. The manager puts a little something in his coffee. xD The next chapter is where the love interest is introduced.

The enforcers who adhere to the Americain Romance standard want the lovers to meet in chapter one. So, literally, any situation where two strangers meet qualifies for chapter one.

Anything is better than the first day in a new school, tbh. Air raid alarm in the mud-ridden trenches on the battlefield is more romantic than ‘I was nervious b/c I walked into that new school, bouncing my blonde locks all over the place, my big blue eyes wide-opened in wonder, and ran right into a jerk with dark hair over a permanent smirk and yelled at him’ start.

What the hell do they put in his drink?

Otherwise, this sounds like a nice beginning. You’re showing the MC in a good environment, introducing three characters, and allow people to get to know her for a chapter before introducing the love interest.

Start in the middle of a kiss, but then it’s a daydream. And everything is actually on fire. And theres a unicorn eating evil bats in the sky. And a vampire has blotted out the sun.

Like any other story, it should start where the plot begins. This could be anything depending on the story itself. It’s best to not use the morning routine as that often comes out as info-dumpy and boring.

For example, in my previous story, it’s about a woman and her sisters taking a vacation to Rome, and the woman finds love there. The first chapter starts with her writing (because she’s a writer and wants to be published one day). She gets interrupted by her sisters who try to convince her to go to Italy with them. The second chapter starts off with them already in Italy, but because it’s the first day of their trip, they relax from the plane flight. The third chapter is where they go to the Colosseum, and that’s where she meets the love interest.

The story should start 30 seconds after whatever just happened that makes it so the story HAS to happen. That event can be anything to a small decision being made to a conversational mistake to something blowing up. But the story begins at the point where there is no escaping.

Then what we need to see is how that thing that just happened affects the main character. We need to know what that character wants, and how that thing that just happened is going to make it harder to get that thing they want.

My story begins in the court room as my MC gets sentenced to 2 years in a juvenile detention camp. We find out why, which gives us clues to her personality and her family dynamic. The love interest is introduced in chapter two.

A shot of something. xD And the manager is the one that did it.

I always like starting with a character monologue. Gives the reader someone to relate with and want to read about

The beginning MUST be unique and captivating.

“I woke up to the shining sun,” is cliche. Especially if it’s after a dream about the lovers “deep, soulful eyes.”

Try some other ideas. Does the heroine meet her lover because he saves her life somehow? Does he hit on her directly? Does SHE hit on HIM?

Try to avoid having them meet in school. That’s another huge cliche. It’s okay if they go to the same school, but maybe try something where they meet outside of school, maybe have a common interest (rock climbing, escape rooms, movies, bookstores, etc).

It’s okay to feel a little overwhelmed. The romance genre has been done over a million times, a million different ways. So it’s a bit difficult to know how to make your story stand out. Think about what romance stories/movies started out the best, in your opinion. Go from there. Good luck! I hope this helps.

suggest few examples may be…
I would love to more about how you think about a starting
and yea that’s the mundane thing to do but many books start that way

oh I m never going to start that way I havent written books but my reading tells me introducing character with her name and her crush and her biodata leaves nothing to suspense
and yea thank you ur examples were a heads up and had some classic and some very new ideas :heart:

you just always have your ways don’t you :laughing:
and thank you for always taking interest in my topics

well thank you
just to take he discussion ahead whats your way to start if you have to define a character in your first chapter
some examples would do great to this discussion