How Would you Respond?

‘This is a bad novel’

If you got this comment in the middle of your book from a previously silent reader, how would you respond? Would you respond?

You might have guessed I got this today. Just scouting opinions. I don’t tend to take these kinds of comments seriously, but it does leave me at a bit of a loss of what to do with it. I struggle to know how to respond if someone is rude because I don’t want to look passive aggressive or defensive. I know from experience how intentions get misconstrued over the internet and I don’t want my responses to potentially put off anyone with legitimate criticism from commenting.

I’m also prone to overthinking :joy:

Thoughts?

respond with:

this is a bad comment

xD kidding
I would just ignore that. If they’re not going to reply with constructive feedback or anything reasonable, I don’t think they’re worth your time.

10 Likes

It depends on my mood. If I’m feeling gracious, I’ll ask them to elaborate. If not, I’ll just give my standard response: ‘Thanks for your opinion’ and leave it at that. If I’m feeling particularly vulnerable, I’ll just delete it.

6 Likes

No, it’s a fantasy novel.

Or… your power of observation is absolutely perfect.

6 Likes

What confused me is that they voted on the chapter they left it on :joy: but yeah, I was wondering whether I should just ignore it.

3 Likes

I would just not respond at all. Probably eat some ice cream and take a nap lol

3 Likes

Lmao can I steal this? I might use it next time.

Feel free to.

2 Likes

Ice cream and a nap sounds really good :joy:

2 Likes

Well, uh, I think it was some singer/celebrity (Cardi B?) who said something like ‘thank you for the haters for buying my record, helping with my sales’ (paraphrased)

xD yeah I dunno. These types of people don’t often have a lot of logic

1 Like

I’d just shrug and let it go. They took the time to actually read up to that part so was it really that bad?
I’d just reply with a ‘Thank you and have a good day.’

2 Likes

Just that? No explanation?

I like bad comments and I usually respond in paragraphs to ask why if not pages to see if the person is interested in giving me criticism out of honesty and sophistication or just trying to act like a pain to look smart. Usually an intelligent, intellectual person worth listening to will take an hour to respond, and the latter will disappear or give you a one-liner because they can’t write any longer than that to save their lives, in which case, close the case, move on.

TBH, any bad comment that ends without an explanation why shows a lack of attention or sophistication and is usually not worth your time.

2 Likes

Also I would try to actually stop writing and figure out what exactly is wrong with it.

Maybe it just wasn’t what they like, in which case it’s okay; but if there are other glaring errors, I should fix them right away.

1 Like

I’ll ask them the reason why it’s a bad novel. Politely.

1 Like

Would you delete hate comments though?

2 Likes

I usually just write ‘sorry you think so’ or something like that. I can’t really be bothered with people just complaining and not giving feedbsck on making the novel not bad.

2 Likes

I don’t know :thinking:
Would you?

Yeah so, i can feel easier. And plus, we have mute button too.

1 Like

Honestly, I would ask them to elaborate on what they didn’t like about it. They could have some valid criticisms. But simply saying something is “bad” doesn’t tell you as the author anything.

If they don’t respond or respond with anything that lines up with what is actually in the story? Then you can thank them and ignore it. But if they give valid points, those points might want to be considered.

Part of growing as an author is of course getting critiques and sometimes you have to work to draw those critiques out. Other times though? There’s just people that are waf on the internet. And the people who hang around on Wattpad is no exception.

1 Like

^This is the answer.

If I read something and think “Man, this is crap” I usually don’t leave a comment. “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. If I think the idea is good but the execution is lacking, I may give some pointers where I think it could be better. Like pointing out typos, this is a bit hit and miss, you might have to be careful with it.

Just saying “this is bad” is lazy and sort of makes the opinion worthless. It’s like someone saying you look funny…what response do they expect? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes