I believe that a dragon is an entity with eight legs, four arms, furry skin and no tail. Can you counter that?

discussion

No, I don’t really believe that. This is just a friendly discussion. People can’t seem to stop criticizing “dragons” in GOT and other media just because those “dragons” don’t match their idea of “dragon”.

So, this is a hypothetical. I just want you to prove me “wrong”. When you do that, we all get something out of it.

Let’s talk.

Nope. If you can justify it in a story, it’s legit. In fact, I had a similar dialog about this in a conversation where I was telling someone that if he wanted to make it so, he could call a chair a zombie and he’d still be right within his own story.

Exactly. So…we are back at square one. Now we both need to be proven wrong (in the context of this topic) -_-

What is GOT?

Game of Thrones

Like @AndrogynousOne said, if its within the realm of possibility in your story, then you’re good. But like AndrogynousOne also said, you have to be able to justify it. If your story describes a dragon as “equine in shape, with pure white fur and a single horn rising from its forehead,” then you might have a problem because that’s not a dragon, that’s a unicorn. If you explain, in the story, “Long ago the dragons took the form of unicorns to save themselves from extinction by the hands of the dragon slayers,” then we’re good. But if the only explanation is “My dragons look like unicorns because I’m the author and I said so,” then you haven’t justified it within your story and I’ll spend the entire book wondering why you can’t tell the difference between a dragon and a unicorn.

You can tell kids anything these days. 2+2 is chair. :upside_down_face:

so true

I’ve had the opposite experience. Many I’ve talked to want the traditional dragon replaced with the four-limbed one.

Anyway, we had this argument before in the old forums. I argued that if the flying dog in Neverending Story was a luck dragon, then Slinky from Toy Story was actually a slinky dragon, not a slinky dog.

Overall, there is no dragon police to enforce what a dragon is, though I wish there was. However, it (probably) isn’t going to be to your benefit to label something as a dragon that really has no similarities.

Here’s your dragon:

Or this:

Literally makes no sense to me why people complain about dragons not matching their idea of what a dragon is. There’s dragon legends (or some giant reptile) in soooo many cultures across history that there’s no right or wrong depiction of them. Compare western and eastern dragons. Very different, no one will say that one’s a dragon the other isn’t. Thing that annoys me most is when people say ‘that’s not a dragon that’s a wyvern’ or something along those lines. Seems to me like ‘dragon’ is a broad term for various creatures like ‘cat’ or ‘snake’.

I can prove you wrong using real life. XD

I generally believe that dragons are reptiles with wings.
It depends on the person on what they believe what a dragon is. Someone can give you cake and everyone will taste it a bit differently. How is that different from what everyone perceives a dragon as?

See my comment above you :slight_smile: I want one.

WOW ppl are literally planning out all the features and how to make a dragon. I watched a documentary on this lizard last year or something.

Just clone it and add a frog’s DNA and boom! A large dragon is born, right? It worked in Jurassic Park. XD

Yeah and loads of people get eaten. (only watched half don’t know what happens at the end)

(If I’m a bit cranky, it just because I don’t have time to be nice :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’ve seen this argument before and its a tad annoying because it only applies to dragons. If I called an elf a dwarf, and an orc and elf. Readers would just be confused and annoyed, they wouldn’t defend my right to call my fantasy characters whatever I liked. If I advertised a book about mermaids, but my mermaids were bird people, readers looking forward to mermaids would not defend my right to attach mermaid to whatever I felt like, simply because it doesn’t exist. A dream doesn’t exist, you can’t prove it’s existence, but I’m not just allowed to use the word however I like because I can’t take a picture of it.

Since the only thing I can find out about you is D&D, I’ll use that in my example.

And yet D&D provides an illustration and a list of characteristics for most monsters. They don’t just say, it fantasy, it doesn’t matter what it looks like or what it does, I can be and do anything you want. If my DM said I was being attacked by a dragon only to discover it didn’t resemble or act like a dragon in any fashion, they might as well have said I was attacked by a thing because the word “dragon” has lost all meaning.

I believe D&D has broad term that applies to everything dragon, I want to say dragonkin, but that might be Warcraft, but only dragons are actually dragons. And like snakes, D&D has different kinds of dragons, but that doesn’t make an alligator or a gargoyle a dragon just because they have a lot in common. Even an undead dragon isn’t technically a dragon anymore.

I feel like this is a contradiction, or perhaps a mild example of cultural corruption or appropriation. To say “all these cultures have creatures that are different from each other, so how can you define them” then basically add “But I wish they were all called the same thing and stopped being their own creature.”

The fact that Eastern and Western dragons are so different is probably reason enough they shouldn’t be related. We call them dragons because we’re lazy and it means we only have to learn one word, because its an English-ish word rather than a Chinese word, and because it would be impossible to get people to stop calling them dragons at this point, not because it’s “correct”. We don’t call all these creatures dragons because they are all basically the same. We call them dragons because coming up with and remembering the names for all these equally weird creatures would be hard.

This is all my opinion, of course.

Glad to find you here. I was just going to tag you

-winter has come-