I don't know what to make of this offer....

No, I spoke to the women back and forth for a bit asking for more information and she spoke specifically about my book and characters in proper English. She said her job was to find popular online romances and she did say that if I wasn’t ready to publish the novel she inquired about, they were open to looking any some of my other works. Had I had any works I didn’t really care about, sure I would have seen where this deal could have gone.

But I care about each of my works too much to give any of them up to a company I think is real, but simply wouldn’t get me the results that I think other publishing houses could get.

It was nice to receive the message in the first place and that’s really how I’m looking at it :slight_smile:

My suggestion is that do not JUMP to this. Do research, and then make a decision. I have been contacted by somewhat similar (but not same) company and refused after doing some research. So my suggestion that take your time to make a decision.

Wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole.

Yes, as I already said to a few others on here, I told them thank you but no thank you.

Thank you for your feedback, though!

Phishing scams are so much fun, aren’t they?

Nyoi-Bo Studios are translators.

qidian who they claim to be representing, is capable of contacting you on their own if they want you sign you.

It seems that a lot of the translators are funding themselves through Patreon as well? Any publisher that is not contracting translators properly for their work so that translators don’t have to turn to places like Patreon would seem iffy to me.

The Parties further acknowledge and agree that if Party B creates a prequel, sequel, special edition, continuation, series, or the like of the Work (hereinafter referred to as “Series”), such Series shall be deemed as part of the Work under this Agreement and be subject to the provisions of this Agreement.

That’s the end of this contract for me. My book is a series of six. Due to characters in my books, it has potential to become many more books in the series. I will not give up my series for one published book. I will not turn possible future books into fan fiction.

That’s all I needed to see. End of considering this contract.

Thanks for asking my opinion.

Gerry

that contract has an NDA so i’m not sure if i will get the person into trouble if i posted it but it’s posted on their site…

anyway IMO, wattpad beta seems to be inspired by them which is also another site that is owned by tencent.
i just hope that such contracts do not become the norm.

thanks for taking the time out to read it and reply :slight_smile:
it’s always nice to hear from someone who is more experienced

When I got a book contract, I showed it to a friend who had also been traditionally published. Not that everyone has friends like this, but if you do, I think it’s at least enough to tell you whether you’ll regret signing it.

I have lots of friends who have been trad pubbed. In fact I’ve been trad pubbed.

I will still pay an IP attorney to review contracts.

IP?

Never, ever, ever sell your copyright. No matter who it is or how big the check.

Absolutely not. A publishing deal provides a “license to sell” the work but the ownership of the copyright remains with the author.

That has nothing to do with copyright (most likely) that has more to do with who has final say over the published book. In MOST contracts that’s the author, but I’ve seen several where the publisher wants the “final say.”

Not precisely true. You still keep your copyright…but yes, they are going to want to have lots of options regarding sequels and spin offs. They want access to the “intellectual property” and if you think Big-five contracts are right-grabby, a television/movie contract is FAR FAR worse. We have a great exec producer for my stuff and we were able to come up with a contract where IP reverts to us if certain milestones are met. But it was a hard negotiation, and very eye opening. In the end, I think I have the right protections in place.

Having worked with several IP lawyers and many publishing contracts, I’lll tell you there is only so much that can be done to “clean up contracts.” So much of it is “industry standard.” And in many ways you have to accept it or take your marbles and play elsewhere. Yes, you can and should defang non-compete clauses, but you can’t do much about life-of-copyright terms or clauses that make it nearly impossible for rights to revert because ebooks don’t go “out of print” and the bars they set for “in print” are so terribly low.

The big issue is publishers work as a cartel and walk in lock-step. As long as they all have the same crappy terms then there is no leverage to break them because if one falls, they all do.

This isn’t a phishing scam…this is a “rights grab.”

My wife will look over contracts for authors for free. She’s not a lawyer but she knows what to look out for.

A lawyer who specializes in intellectual property (IP).