I feel I got cheated and I need to vent

Hi there. Well I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, and I don’t know if I am making a big deal out of the matter, but I really need to vent.
So I answered for a R4R request on the story services forum and that person made an agreement for a long term R4R. I went ahead and finished 10 chapters of hers, that was about two weeks ago, and until now she didn’t read any of my chapters. I sent to her a reminder and she said sure she will read and that she just got busy, but now she is posting new R4R requests and she’s accepting new readers, and she hasn’t even finished her part of our agreement. I don’t even want her to read my story anymore, but I just feel used and upset. Why would someone do that? I put so much time and effort to read and comment on her book, and she just kept me hanging and eventually moving on with new requests. Did anyone face a similar situation? Am I being too impatient or over dramatic?

No, there are people like this on Wattpad, unfortunately. I’ve ran into a couple of them when I started out. Idk, I’d probably give her one more warning and if she still doesn’t read your book as promised just retract the votes and delete your comments on her book.

Also, in the future I’d at least wait until they’ve shown a little bit of effort too before doing your entire part of the bargain.

8 Likes

Like you could also do it where you do a few chapters at a time. Unfortunately, this can happen. It can also happen where one person will but more thought into the comments. You win some you lose some when it comes to R4R/Feedback4feedbacck

• You do 3 chapters
  • They do 3 chapters
  • You do 3 chapters
  • They do 3 chapters
  • Etc.
3 Likes

Oh, it’s not just you… it’s many different people who have not only experienced this, but many others who don’t do their side of the bargain. It’s a reason why I stopped doing read for reads and a reason why I don’t ask people to review my story (instead, I do critique for critiques where they have to do mine first before I do theirs because even though it can take me a while to do the task, I still manage to do everyone’s stories).

I once did the same thing as you did—a long term read for read. I read someone’s entire book and they never read mine. In fact, right after I had finished reading and commenting on their book, they stopped going onto Wattpad. How convenient, am I right? I’ve also had many people who would contact me and say, “Hey, wanna do a read for read?” And I’d read their story, but they never read mine. I’ve also had people who are like, “Can you read my story?” and I’d say, “Sure. Can you read mine first?” And they’d never do it nor would they ever respond back.

Overall? I suggest to not do read for reads anymore. A lot of people who do them are scammers and it’s just sad. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Just delete your comments and then if they complain tell them that you don’t deal with scammers

4 Likes

In the future maybe say they have to complete payment first, otherwise people can be scammers

1 Like

No, you’re not being dramatic and you’re not being impatient! Unfortunately some users do scam people sometimes. I don’t think it’s always done purposely, but it does tend to happen when looking for R4R. Case in point, I asked to do a r4r with someone on a r4r book on the official site, and all they replied with was “done”. But I was confused about whether or not they actually read my book since they didn’t vote or anything, and when I messaged them about it they never responded.

So I agree with the advice others have given you. Don’t complete your payment in full if they haven’t done anything!

2 Likes

Some of these folks up here are absolutely correct, take back your votes and delete your comments. You have been fair, patient, considerate, all of the above! Heck, you didn’t even put their name in here cause I would have been petty af and been like, ya’ll do your magic.

Take a deep breath and realize it is 10000% okay to vent cause I think all of us would be kinda-sorta pissed off if this happened to us.

4 Likes

@BitchIsMyReligion @Alicia22M @EroseGrose @calmwolf @EdenY @EncryptedWriting @Chaz1235
omg thank you everyone for your supportive words! Deleting the comments and taking back votes sounds like a good idea, I haven’t thought of that. Thanks for putting up with me and not thinking I was dramatic :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

right 3 chapters sounds good, I’ll learn from my mistake and not get carried away with many chapters in the future :smiley:

2 Likes

oh no that’s so bad :frowning:

1 Like

You can just talk to all of us and think about the good things about your writing.

Also,

You can think about how to just write a new story or something like that.

1 Like

This isn’t all that uncommon in the read 4 read section. I never use them, but I’ve heard this story a hundred times before. It’s why I stay away from them and from book clubs now.

It’s a lot easier if you stick to a very small amount of chapters first, just to see if they’ll be holding on to their end of the deal.

2 Likes

I’ve certainly been there. I once got through someone’s entire story, only to find out that they had barely gotten through the prologue and they basically said that it was boring and stopped reading.

I hate it when you see that your story has had a read, but there is no comments.

If I read (even just a chapter), I’ll always leave a comment. This grinds my bones, when they don’t take those few moments (life is certainly not that busy) to leave a comment.

I feel your pain, and I’m vexed for you.

SD

2 Likes

That’s just a horrible and awful excuse! They are supposed to check first if they like your story before accepting and making you read theirs. Very selfish!

aww thank you!
And yea I know what you mean. A comment or two would barely take a couple of seconds but it means a lot to the author.

1 Like

Indeed it does, even if they did not like your writing/story, a simple:- “While you have a steadfast entry here, It was just not for me. Sorry.”

I’d be happy with that than nothing at all.

SD

1 Like

I agree with the sentiments above – back when I did read for reads, I liked to wait and see the degree of feedback they provided before completing my end of the bargain. I reaped the best results when I made a read for read thread myself and scoped out the works before agreeing to read them. Then I would ask them to review mine first.

I once agreed to a read for read with this person who was just starting out, and I reminded her after a month that I was still waiting for her to review my first few chapters. She insisted that she was getting around to it, so I let it slide. Four months later, I paid her profile a visit and saw that her book had grown by tens of thousands of reads since her last thread, and I was so bitter I blocked her lmao. I didn’t even care about the comments / votes. It was all principle! T_T But she’s the only one who never completed her end of the deal. The rest of the time, I had pretty pleasant exchanges with people and made a few great friends.

2 Likes

omg that’s horrible! I wonder if she’s got all these reads by scamming people the same way. Very selfish! Wait you blocked her? I didn’t know we have that option on wattpad :smiley: Thanks for mentioning it I think it will be useful in such situations.

1 Like