I joined Wattpad when I was 14 - I'm now returning at the age of 22.

Girl, I relate to this so much!! I’m 21 and wattpad was my life from 11-15 years old. Came back around at 20 and saw a huge change! I find the content and stories are completely different from when I first joined. As well, some of my favourite stories are published which is amazing! I saw a series that I read here published in a Chapters/Indigoo in Canada, and I just had to buy it. Brought back so many memories of my friends and I dying over it! I remember why I loved wattpad so much! I found it cool going back and reading all the stories I loved so much when I was younger. It makes me laugh, as I would obsess over them!

For me what’s most amazing is that when I was 11, 12, 13 years old, wattpad was a way to find stories that could fulfill my child size fantasies. Now I find myself on wattpad looking for well written, thought-provoking novels. As I grew up I never would have thought that the same website at age 11 could bring me the same joy at age 21.

I do have to say, there are some amazing young writers on this site! Makes me wish I had those same writing abilities!

21/28 here! Wattpad changed so much between my visits, and it can be really overwhelming. I’m still trying to figure out how to use everything!

I’ve basically come onto this page to post the same thing (although I literally can’t figure out how to make my own post anymore, everything is different now.

I joined wattpad when I was 13 and although my writing wasn’t at a professional level, I was a very good story teller for my age. I stopped writing when I was 15 because I had a lot of mental health issues and it got to the point where I couldn’t even write anymore. I’ve just finished my first year of tertiary education and broke my foot a week before my final exams. I’m three weeks into broken foot land and I’m trying to fill my time with passion projects so I decided to give writing another go. I’ve taken such a long break from writing I can’t formulate fiction stories anymore so I’m doing baby steps back into writing with memoirs because I think it’s easier writing about a memory as opposed to making something up.

I do have to agree that a lot of popular stories I’ve seen on here are overplayed storylines and tbh poorly written. I don’t really know how to navigate wattpad anymore because of how much its changed and it’s really hard to find a good quality read :frowning:

I keep coming and going. When I get serious about finishing my novel I come here and read the forums as I feel it might help to be surrounded by authors. But mostly I don’t even talk about writing much, nor post here.
The film deals and tv shows: It could have been you…It’s not as if the people getting the deals are good authors. I’ve read the great wattpad epic ‘After’. The author got six-figure deals. “Cliched and full of unnecessary angst” is how I will describe it. So yep, it could have been you. You might not think it’s good, but if it was popular, it stood a chance.

@Ezmeralde

I relate to this so much. It’s comforting to see someone else go through the same thing. Admittedly, I opened a new account because, though my old stories reaped a lot of popularity, they were poorly written and I didn’t enjoy them. I wrote them to get reads and get a following, not because I actually liked what I was writing. Now I’m much happier writing what I’m writing.

What I’ve done thus far is just get a lot more involved in the wattpad community and see what’s out there. I try to read and comment more often, and I joined a Wattpad Book Club for that intent. I try to make friends, publish more announcements, I even have an instagram for my writing. But then again, this is coming from someone who is completely starting over. If you’re picking up where you left off, this might be different.

I just wanted a different age dynamic, and it’s hard to find, but not impossible. A lot of readers are young on this website, but not all, and there are more mature communities of writers that are willing to go for it on here. My little community I’ve created is small so far, but it’s getting better. It takes a while, but not as long as I expected. Just keep writing, and try to remain consistent (that’s where the growth of my community started to stall is when I stopped posting), and just keep going.

What also helps is several people are looking for writing buddies to keep them going. That will introduce you to more people as well.

Good luck! And I’m happy you’re back on here. Wattpad is a good community, and we’re happy to have you here.