I joined Wattpad when I was 14 - I'm now returning at the age of 22.

Girl, I relate to this so much!! I’m 21 and wattpad was my life from 11-15 years old. Came back around at 20 and saw a huge change! I find the content and stories are completely different from when I first joined. As well, some of my favourite stories are published which is amazing! I saw a series that I read here published in a Chapters/Indigoo in Canada, and I just had to buy it. Brought back so many memories of my friends and I dying over it! I remember why I loved wattpad so much! I found it cool going back and reading all the stories I loved so much when I was younger. It makes me laugh, as I would obsess over them!

For me what’s most amazing is that when I was 11, 12, 13 years old, wattpad was a way to find stories that could fulfill my child size fantasies. Now I find myself on wattpad looking for well written, thought-provoking novels. As I grew up I never would have thought that the same website at age 11 could bring me the same joy at age 21.

I do have to say, there are some amazing young writers on this site! Makes me wish I had those same writing abilities!

21/28 here! Wattpad changed so much between my visits, and it can be really overwhelming. I’m still trying to figure out how to use everything!

I’ve basically come onto this page to post the same thing (although I literally can’t figure out how to make my own post anymore, everything is different now.

I joined wattpad when I was 13 and although my writing wasn’t at a professional level, I was a very good story teller for my age. I stopped writing when I was 15 because I had a lot of mental health issues and it got to the point where I couldn’t even write anymore. I’ve just finished my first year of tertiary education and broke my foot a week before my final exams. I’m three weeks into broken foot land and I’m trying to fill my time with passion projects so I decided to give writing another go. I’ve taken such a long break from writing I can’t formulate fiction stories anymore so I’m doing baby steps back into writing with memoirs because I think it’s easier writing about a memory as opposed to making something up.

I do have to agree that a lot of popular stories I’ve seen on here are overplayed storylines and tbh poorly written. I don’t really know how to navigate wattpad anymore because of how much its changed and it’s really hard to find a good quality read :frowning:

I keep coming and going. When I get serious about finishing my novel I come here and read the forums as I feel it might help to be surrounded by authors. But mostly I don’t even talk about writing much, nor post here.
The film deals and tv shows: It could have been you…It’s not as if the people getting the deals are good authors. I’ve read the great wattpad epic ‘After’. The author got six-figure deals. “Cliched and full of unnecessary angst” is how I will describe it. So yep, it could have been you. You might not think it’s good, but if it was popular, it stood a chance.

@Ezmeralde

I relate to this so much. It’s comforting to see someone else go through the same thing. Admittedly, I opened a new account because, though my old stories reaped a lot of popularity, they were poorly written and I didn’t enjoy them. I wrote them to get reads and get a following, not because I actually liked what I was writing. Now I’m much happier writing what I’m writing.

What I’ve done thus far is just get a lot more involved in the wattpad community and see what’s out there. I try to read and comment more often, and I joined a Wattpad Book Club for that intent. I try to make friends, publish more announcements, I even have an instagram for my writing. But then again, this is coming from someone who is completely starting over. If you’re picking up where you left off, this might be different.

I just wanted a different age dynamic, and it’s hard to find, but not impossible. A lot of readers are young on this website, but not all, and there are more mature communities of writers that are willing to go for it on here. My little community I’ve created is small so far, but it’s getting better. It takes a while, but not as long as I expected. Just keep writing, and try to remain consistent (that’s where the growth of my community started to stall is when I stopped posting), and just keep going.

What also helps is several people are looking for writing buddies to keep them going. That will introduce you to more people as well.

Good luck! And I’m happy you’re back on here. Wattpad is a good community, and we’re happy to have you here.

Oh my goodness, I am in the same boat! I joined Wattpad in 2010 and was very bad at writing back then, not improved much now but I have the discipline and motivation to try again and make something that I am proud of.

I’m 18 now and starting university and I have met so many people who pursue their passions and I have nothing to show for my passion for books besides a pretty impressive bookshelf… while I am proud of my collection and show it off online (@sarahbadibooks on instagram), I want to use that towards writing which is why I returned to Wattpad!

Unfortunately, I could not remember my old account information for the life of me so I had to make a new one :frowning:

I joined in 2013 when I was 11, now I’m 16. I remember that I used to only read and every once in a while I would do these Shadow and Amy fanfictions from Sonic the Hedgehog :joy::joy: I haven’t really published anything since but I am coming up with a few ideas for books. For now, though I’m sticking to the reading. Good luck to those writing! :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Oh boy, I relate to this a lot.

I joined Wattpad 7 years ago while in high school using a different account. I really loved Twilight, and I wanted to read some fanfics and maybe write my own. I did end up doing that. But, eventually I realized that the really edgy trend was to write more mature stories, even though it seemed like a lot of people didn’t know what they were doing because none of it was realistic or healthy now that I look back on it.

I want to talk about this for a minute, because as a 15-16 year old, I thought, yeah sure I have plenty of pent up drive and can totally write something steamy. I used other authors work to get ideas, but didn’t realize how not experienced they were at all. They were writing really psychologically harmful ideas of relationships. You know, the type where the guy pushes around the girl and acts like a stalker/sociopath. And readers ate that up! It’s disturbing to think about and read now.

I tried writing a story like that, thinking that it’d be popular even though I was inexperienced. And it did! It gained over 250k reads with only 15 chapters, not even finished. I had another one about werewolves that had no plot or character development and got something like 150k reads. Part of the way through I got depressed and stopped writing on the site, choosing to act dormant on my account and just read from my private library. I haven’t been back at writing in 4-5 years and now that I am, I immediately made a new account. I can’t even look at my old stuff now! I wished I could have started over on my old account but the 4k+ followers that follow me on there only want what I was posting before, and I just wanted to start anew.

Things have definitely changed. There’s a lot more healthy and encouraging content. I’ve found tons of works by different authors that portray really healthy relationships, and that’s super encouraging to me. But I still see things like the old stuff getting tons of reads and votes and it kind of disturbs me and makes me sad.

I love being able to share my work, but I wonder what other people are going through what I did when I first joined.

Well, although not particularly long, I did have a two-year hiatus when I was 12. I just started getting into it officially this December. Does that count? Regardless, I did notice a few more teenagers writing insanely popular stories even though they’re really bad at grammar. But that’s probably it.

That’s pretty accurate actually. Most of my other friends’ works including mine are pretty darn angsty. But there are a few stories without drama in it, although very rare.

I joined Wattpad back in 2013, when I was 13. Now I’m 19. I practically lived on that site-- I was pretty active in the community and spent most of my time writing angsty poetry (I was a seriously depressed teenager). And I’m not going to lie, most of that stuff was crap lol. I drifted away from Wattpad about 2 or 3 years ago, mostly due to heavy schoolwork. Years later, I’ve returned to the site out of curiosity and I’m honestly blown away! So much has changed… I don’t even know where to begin when it comes to navigating the site.

I would like to begin publishing stuff again, though. I’ll probably create a new account sometime to give myself a new start and forget those cringey years of writing, haha. And it’s not much of a loss because my works never got that popular, anyway.

sup!
I’m actually in the same exact boat as you, I joined Wattpad in the summer of '13 and ended up with like 300k reads on the worst fanfic anyone could’ve ever laid eyes on. I took a ‘break’ (sometimes I’d hop on mobile to see if I could find a good book to read but it was never really fruitful??) and finally returned for what I hope is a while about a week ago.

In terms of change, it’s really interesting to see the kind of stories that pop up and what’s trending. I feel like '13 was HUGE for like werewolf/vampire stories, and now badboy/gangboy stories are what’s trending (I mean they always were and I just didn’t pay that much attention ??? shrug emoji)

I still feel like to find a truly impressive story you have to do some digging, but it’s worth it 'cuz I’ve found some GEMS that I reread regularly.

I just kept my old account 'cuz I felt like it was a waste to part with what I’d built in the past, even if I am a completely different me now.

omggggg samee. I joined wattpad a long time ago too its been like 7-8 years now and same I took a long break and by long I mean its been years and now that im back it feels so unfamiliar and weird. I guess we gotta start from square 1 but it might not be a bad thing. it’s like living your childhood again kinda :slight_smile:

Oh god I really needed this thread. I’m currently testing the waters and returning to Wattpad after a year / two year break.

I joined Wattpad in 2010 as well and wrote a lot. And a lot of it was crap. I cleared out my other profile of a lot of stories and tried to clean it up to avoid the 13-year-old / teenager me from embarrassing current me.

Due to university and work (and now starting a PhD) I’ve drifted so much from writing and into being a workaholic. Does anyone have any experience of trying to juggle a career and writing at the same time? I used to love writing, but it became too much of a need to get it perfect after winning a Watty Award I just gave up on it.

Anyway, just trying to navigate the new threads and get used to everything again! Nice to see others in the same boat though :slight_smile: