I need advice

I hope this is the right area to post this but I wanted to talk to someone about publishing my work. I have been waiting to hear back from publishers for months and I still have not heard anything I am feeling discouraged and I can’t talk to anyone here because I am the only writer.

What do you mean by you can’t talk to anyone on here because your the only writer?

1 Like

Maybe you should move this to #industry-insider. I’m sure someone there could help you :smiley:

3 Likes

Sometimes it can take up to six months to hear back from an agent, but often, if you check their website, you may find that they have updated their page to say they no longer send rejections. If you don’t hear back it is their rejection.

Basically, after a certain amount of time elapses (I usually go with two to three months) it’s time to send out another batch of queries.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Hi there :slightly_smiling_face:

As you’re looking for advice relating to publishing, you might get more responses in the #industry-insider club. I’ve moved this thread there for you.

Thanks for understanding :blush:

Hollie - Community Ambassador

2 Likes

Hi!

Can you tell us more about what you’ve done so far? How many publishers did you submit it to? How did you submit it? When did you submit it?

Probably you’ve done this, but just in case … did you check carefully first whether the publishers in question even accept unsolicited queries? Very few do. None of the major publishers do. Even if they say they do, or don’t say they don’t, they all really only respond to agents, not to authors they don’t know. Some small publishers do take unsolicited queries.

Most of the time, the right approach is to query agents first. Then @McKraven’s reply applies.

A common querying approach is to send a batch of 5 queries, then wait a couple of months, then send 5 more, and on and on. Sometimes only 1 in 10 or 20 will reply; for the rest, silence is the rejection. Others advocate sending 7 or 10 at a time.

The range of responsiveness is huge: Quickest rejection I ever had from an agent was 5 minutes. Slowest was 1.5 years. Quickest request for a ‘read’ was 2 weeks after querying. Sometimes it’s the agent who replies. Often, it’s the agent’s assistant. These days, the assistant may be a piece of software.

Another thing to make sure of: when you send a query to a publisher or agent, make sure it exactly follows the rules for queries they post on their web site. Any deviation, and your query may go straight into the electronic dust bin unread. Mistakes like sending an attachment when they don’t want attachments almost always receive no response (their email software deleted your query before anyone saw it). Similarly, if they want a certain format of the subject line (e.g. “Query - …”) and you don’t follow that, then … zap, your query is gone, unread.

Agents and accepting publishers who’ve been around for a while may receive thousands of queries per week. They get hate mail in response to rejections. Therefore, sadly, most now unceremoniously delete queries that aren’t right for their portfolios at that particular moment. They have reasons and they aren’t personal, and often they don’t have anything to do with the quality of your submission … but they don’t tell you.

1 Like

I do recommend small batches, but I’d only wait a week or so. Track responses on a spreadsheet. If, after 15 or so, you’re not getting requests – REQUESTS, not responses – STOP querying and fix the problem. Might be the query, might be the pages, might be the concept, might be the people you’ve targeted. Get feedback to figure it out, and fix it.

2 Likes

This! I’ve heard of people firing off batches of fifty or more. Apart from wondering where they even found that many agents to query, the approach is highly questionable as they cannot have been a good fit. I ran out of matches even before I had 15 together. Okay, I was very picky but I don’t believe this spraying approach makes any sense.

2 Likes

Well, it really makes no sense if you don’t know every piece of your query package is solid and working. You get ONE shot at a particular agent. Don’t blow it with a scattershot approach.

2 Likes

Did you hear about the guy who cc’d 300 agents to try to start a bidding way this week? XD

He wanted them to buy the letters of his query to reveal it, THEN hire a ghost writer to actually write the book.

1 Like

Hahahahahahaha!!! NO! I’d love to read the story. Is there a post somewhere about it? Or a particular agent on Twitter whose feed I’d should scroll through?

The agents were ALL on Twitter. But they were on @/annmrose 's tweet talking about it on the 20th

1 Like

I’m guessing she means local to her area in real life.

1 Like

Sorry to say that’s normal. Very few agents bother to reply. If you ping them asking for an update, they might remember your submission and give it a look. Or they might send a rejection.

1 Like

OMG what?! No! Hahahh!!!

1 Like

Yup! How to nuke any future career in 100 words or less, lol

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive though, I couldn’t imagine having the self-confidence to back up a stunt like that. :joy: :rofl:

As a marketing stunt, that one backfired…

1 Like

Don’t ever give up! Querying is a long and tedious proces that might take years before you hit your first success. I recently read this article from the author of Caraval. This woman went through ALL OF THAT, yet she still became a major bestselling author in the end. The key is to never give up.