I printed a personal copy of my book

I completely agree. I have printed like over 10 of my completed stories and I prefer printed books. Reading my stories in a printed version is an amazing feeling. It really lessens the strain on my eyes.

2 Likes

I’m using lulu too, I love it!

Would you guys recommend lulu? I was thinking about going through amazon

That’s absolutely amazing! How much was it and where are you based??

That looks so good!

Product is essentially the same. Comes down to price, including shipping. There can be quite a difference if you’re somewhere other than the US. In the US I think it’s personal preference.

1 Like

Oh wow! I really want to do this to my book but worried it will be too expensive! :heart_eyes:

I BELIEVE I HAVE COMMENTED ON THIS A LONG LONG TIME AGO BUT THIS STILL LOOKS SO SATISFYING UNTIL TODAY

It was $8 to make and $3 to ship. My book was about 464 pages total. The price changes depending on what materials you choose, length, size, etc.

That’s so awesome, I will be doing this for sure when I have finished my book.

Congratulations! Yeah, Lulu is a great self-publishing platform. I will be getting my own first proof of print copy tomorrow, so it’s very likely I’ll be releasing my novel through their global distribution. I wish you a lot of success with your book. :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, Varo. FWIW, I think the distribution platform of Ingram Spark or Amazon (through KDP) is much better than the Lulu global distribution for print books. You might want to check them out. That said, print books are generally a VERY small component to overall sales when self-publishing…it’s ebooks that rule the day and whether you go exclusive with Amazon (Select) or use wide distribution is something you have to consider carefully. I wish you great success!

1 Like

Having a printed copy of your work feels so good.

2 Likes

Dear Michael: Thank you very much for your advice. Yeah, KDP was my first choice, actually. However, the KDP Select program demands exclusivity, which excludes Nook from B&N and iBooks from Apple, markets accessible via Lulu for English eBooks. I currently requested the current term of KDP Select to stop auto-renewing, as I wish to explore those other platforms, also. What do you think of that? What has been your experience? I’ve been selling the Spanish edition of my book for one month and a half now in Amazon and these are the results: 9 eBooks copies, 2 Paperback copies… I don’t even reach the minimum threshold for check sending! Hahaha. In the case of the English version, it was released two weeks ago and so far, only one copy sold… Heheheh. Is it always THAT hard??

The last figure I heard – which was well over a year ago – was that 4500 books were published on Amazon EVERY DAY. I expect it’s more than that now.

So yes, it’s always that hard.

What are you doing to target readers and make them aware of your book?

1 Like

You can publish in KDP without enrolling in Select. When I release a new novel I do not offer it in the Select program (even though I’m exclusive to Amazon). Then when sales drop off because the novel is “old,” I put it in Select. So you can be on KDP and still have a wide distribution (B&N and others) as long as you don’t enroll in Select.

1 Like

So a few things…

1. Lulu is “reasonable” for print books but to use them for distribution of ebooks…I wouldn’t go that way. I always go “direct” with Amazon and B&N, and use an agregator for the other platforms. Both Draft2Digital and Smashwords are, imho, a better choice than Lulu for ebook distribution.

2. Yes KDP select requires exclusivity, but you don’t HAVE to go into that program. Using Lulu doesn’t change theat equation.

I’ve “experimented” with Select once or twice, but I didn’t find it a good match for my books. I’ve pretty much been “wide” with all my titles for 99.99% of the time they’ve been published. I’m not a fan of “exclusivity,” but my main reason for staying out is I earn more “wide” than I earn when “exclusive.” That said, the VAST majority of self-published authors I know use Select and get a substantial amount of their sales through the KU downloads.

Yes, it always is that hard. When I started self-publishing I was happy to sell 1 book a month. But I kept writing, and releasing, and eventually, I was selling 10,000 - 12,000 books a month (across 5 self-published titles).

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! Well, currently I created three versions of an ad whose type is “lockscreen”, which makes the ad appear in the lock screen of Kindle devices for people who like the categories you select, which should match your book contents, of course. So far, one of the three versions has turned out to be very effective, in terms of “clicks” (no sales so far, though), and I even had yesterday my first KU reader enrolled reading the first 25 pages, which is about the first three chapters of my book… Woo Hoo! Also, I created a Facebook page for the book, and a private group for the readers. I’ve begun to get some pretty nice comments about my book so that keeps me motivated and “energized”. So much, that I already wrote 75 pages of the second volume of the saga… heheh

1 Like

That’s a very useful tip! How long does it take for your novels to start being considered “old”? :smiley:

Hello again, Michael. In my case, as I live in Costa Rica, Nook doesn’t allow me to publish directly (they offer a very limited set of countries for that), so I must use Lulu. Also, Lulu doesn’t publish my eBook in Amazon because I am from Costa Rica (how does that policy work? Beats me) :smile:

I registered my novel in a KDP contest called “StorytellerUK 2019”. Reading the “fine print” of the rules for participating, it seems that my book needs to remain enrolled in KDP Select to be eligible for the contest. So, I had to re-activate that feature. Hey, it’s a 20K-pound prize, it’s worth a shot! :wink:

That last paragraph of yours just rose my spirits. Thank you for that. :hugs: