I want to start a fanbase, but it's hard. Anyone relate?

I use to have friends from school who were my readers, but they long since left Wattpad and now I miss the fan interactions and the discussions on the story in comment sections. I need to build a new fanbase. I will work on it. Anyway, who else is having this trouble?

I am! It’s hard gaining new readers who are genuinely interested in your story

8 Likes

I cry every time I see one read but no comments. Silent readers are cool, and I thank them but they disappoint me

6 Likes

Yeah, I think that Wattpad is less and less community based like it used to be. I used to have a fanbase, though I must admit, that some of my readers still stick around for me and I’m slowly building up again. It takes time, but just stick around here. Maybe join a book club? I found one or two people there that are genuinely interested in my story. It takes time, but it should happen again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aww lol. Remember not everyone knows to give you a star or to comment. Most people read just to read- not to connect with a story and become part of the author’s journey

1 Like

One thing I find that is helping with my current project (and I’m going to start it with my others as well) I have a little gif at the end of the chapter that says- don’t forget to click the star at the bottom to vote!

3 Likes

I don’t mind if they don’t comment, but a read with no comment or vote is disappointing…That said, I want people to vote because they like the story and not because they think they’re supposed to

4 Likes

Exactly and I can’t be annoying with it.

1 Like

Probably good. Because I’ve caught myself almost forgetting to vote on something I’m enjoying

I am reading this webtoon called Siren’s Lament and lemme tell you, I love it. I forget to hit those hearts all the time. And on WP, I’m reading something currently and I sometimes I have to remind myself to click on that star because I just want to continue reading. A lot of times it’s not because they don’t like your story that they’re not voting. They’re really engrossed in it and then they vote on the last chapter, or sporadically. Sometimes, they’ll even come back later and vote bomb. I wouldn’t be too upset if they don’t vote. I usually get the same amount of reads per update so I’m assuming that people are reading and they just forget. Even the reminder at the end doesn’t always work, but I’ve noticed an increase in overall reader activity since adding that gif in

6 Likes

Same. For me tho, I see so many votes and comments already that I feel like it’ll drown out so that’s why I don’t on other books with a fanbase. On empty vote and comment stories I tend to remember to contribute more.

Sometimes the author is really haughty and doesn’t give the reader the time of day because they’re “too big and important” to care, so I usually don’t say anything. But an author who is really engaging and kind to their fans, I usually will say something.

2 Likes

Yesss!!! I think that’s why most of us are here, we want readers we can connect with! But, as I am having trouble finding a book that really speaks to me on wattpad, I assume others have the same problem. Our tastes are all so different and writing is super subjective. So I don’t like, get upset or frustrated, I just wish my work could be the masterpiece that draws in all readers. :joy:

Totally unreasonable of me, I know. :joy: But one can dare to dream right?! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Just popped in here to read over the thread, and man, you sound like me when I first started reading on Webtoons. Funny thing is, my second book on that app was Siren’s Lament. :joy:

LOL someone on the thread LOVES that webtoon

2 Likes

I know!! Lolol. Webtoons is amazing haha. I actually started reading True Beauty and I like it but when I got to a stopping point, I started reading new stuff and added Siren randomly during a search. I am hooked now and now I barely think of TB, though I still do enjoy it. It would make a great kdrama.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s me XD

1 Like

Also adding onto what Davrielle said, that is very true. I’ve had A LOT of silent readers come out of nowhere in my notifications, either vote bombing me, or voting on random chapters near the end. I didn’t even know they were there or reading my book! So, yeah, a lot of people tend to forget to vote. Some people don’t know HOW to vote, and others don’t care to vote because they treat what they’re reading like stories off Wattpad, where they don’t interact, just read.

1 Like

I try to remember that when I write, it’s mostly for my own sake and not to feel bad about having a grand total of 1 read. My big accomplishment was just the act of putting my things on Wattpad to begin with.

1 Like

That’s a nice perspective. Honestly way more healthier than worrying about recognition.

…recognition sounds real nice tho… lol