I wanted to rebel against the cliches of werewolf genre. Why do you write werewolf stories?

When I found Wattpad, I got obsessed with werewolf books. But after a while, I lost interest. They all seemed to be the exact same book. Same plot, same characters… And then there were the disturbing psychological aspects that just kept being part of soooo many werewolf stories.

I started to think about writing one myself. Something completely different. I still believed werewolves were fascinating and there was much potential about these creatures. I started with one book and fell in love. Now I have two books completed and a third one is a work in process.

Why do you write werewolf books?

4 Likes

I happen to be one of the people writing an entirely different kind of werewolf series. I think of wolves like any other character–a person first, wolf second. This allows for me to tap into my love of paranormal lore while creating very original dynamics.

2 Likes

I love “a person first, wolf second” I’ve wanted to create rich and complex characters too. I think I’m succeeding better now in book #2 and #3.

I need to check out your books!

2 Likes

I’ve never been much of a fan of werewolves in general, much less of the typical werewolf stories you can find en masse around here. But I had been thinking about writing something different for a while because I like a challenge.

I haven’t published anything yet, but I have a story I’ve been working on a little, that includes a werewolf as one of the central characters but is actually more of an urban fantasy romcom.

2 Likes

What makes you write werewolf stories? What parts of the trope do you enjoy most?

Urban fantasy type werewolf stories are my favorites! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also joined WP and fell into the werewolf genre! These days j write werewolf cause I’ve constructed this large world in front of me and want to put it down onto paper. I want to talk the history and the stories of this world of shifters. It’s a harsh life and it can be a loving one. At the moment is not focused on mate, but more so historical events that change the shifters perception. For example, my current book that j finished writing, but am updating, is about a shifter/werewolf who is cursed to die, and is rebelling against the gender norms in her society.
:werewolf:

2 Likes

I love the idea of finding balance with your human and “wolf side”. It’s fun to write about this with a hint of psychology. And creating ancient wolf traditions and culture is also interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds interesting! Werewolf sociology!

1 Like

Ahaha I suppose. I love the world building and the ability to write from a human and animal POV though. I can make stories very interesting

2 Likes

I enjoy reading stories from writers who take time to create a werewolf culture of their own. I need to check out your books!

Aw, that’s very kind of you :yellow_heart:

As to your first post, I agree! Sometimes the plots get repetitive

Well, I don’t write werewolf (though I might try someday)but I like reading original werewolf stories. It doesn’t count, but I do have a character in my dark fantasy series who is a wolf. Not a werewolf. Straight-up wolf. He can talk to humans under certain conditions and can control the dead like puppets.

1 Like

The first book I published on here was a werewolf story, and though it followed many of the tropes you often see on Wattpad (wolves who shift at will, a Moon Goddess), there were a lot of things I rejected, as well. The idea of fated mates is too often used to justify abusive relationships, in my opinion, so I decided to stay far away from that. Instead, I approached the wolves from the perspective of “wolf first, man second.” This lead to are a lot of themes about loyalty, tradition, alienation, and belonging. Is the wolf really a man? Or just a wolf wearing a man’s skin? The main character who has considered himself a wolf all his life basically has to grapple with new feelings that are entirely too human.

In my second werewolf book, which I’m mainly focusing on now, the werewolves aren’t shapeshifters, but resemble the old monster movie version of lycanthropy, in that they lose control every full moon. In this book, the werewolves are “out” to the world, so to speak, so there’s a lot of tension in society. Are werewolves really in control at all times? Or are they driven by primal urges, even nights apart from the full moon? Are they even human at all?

I think I enjoy the werewolf genre because the werewolf as a creature is the personification of the duality of human nature. Humans can reason, yes, but they also have a capacity to be incredibly primal and destructive. The werewolf genre is a way for us to explore the psychological and sociological aspects of that duality, in my opinion.

5 Likes

If I were to write a werewolf story, I would do away with the ranked pack system (which doesn’t exist among real wolves) and have it be an extended family group instead. Maybe adopted family. Like a maternal figure building a family of young werewolves and teaching them how to “adult” like humans and wolves. Oh, wow…I want to write this now.

3 Likes

Oh! That’s cool! Does it have a central role in your book?

2 Likes

He’s more of a side character, but there are scenes from his perspective. I want to involve him more on my upcoming revisions.

But wolves do have a ranking. Alpha and Omega are real in actually wolves

No, they’re not. That’s what they’re discovering now.

At least not in the wild. Might be different if you throw a bunch of wolves together in captivity who don’t know each other.

1 Like

Well said! I’ve noticed, that the more I write, the more I find myself thinking about these deeper themes.

I like how you’ve written from many point of views. I think I need to explore more with my own writing.

1 Like