Ideal length for a YA fantasy novel?

Hi! I’ve finished Book 1 of a YA fantasy trilogy. It’s at about 70k words at the moment, but still needs a few chapters inserted into it for developing subplots and secondary characters, and fine-tuning the story. What’s the standard, and at what point is length a red flag? Thanks for the feedback!

Standard is about 80k-120k, depending on the publisher. So if you’re looking to query, check their definitions and try and go from there.

If you’re not looking to go trad. standards don’t matter! :sparkles:

2 Likes

Thanks! Personally, I prefer longer books but I feel like at 90k it becomes a problem.

1 Like

Anytime!

I think it heavily depends. I read this one book which was about 80k and it seemed long. Read another that was 120k and it felt way too short :joy:

1 Like

Yes, the answer always is just write a good book and nothing else matters :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more!

1 Like

I’d try and keep it below the 100-120k mark. (Mine’s at 90k, and it could probably be fleshed out a bit more). But sometimes the big books glide through. It depends on the agent / publisher and the amount of content necessary for the story to work.

1 Like

Thanks so much! It’s helpful to know where other people are

1 Like