I'm an established full-time author - willing to answer questions if you have them

question

There’s reasons why I don’t want to be stuck with KU. Time being at a premium for me. I wouldn’t be able to advertise effectively on such short notice. And since I work full time at my job, I can’t be on the internet all day. (Or all night as the case may be.)

Don’t worry, I’m not in any blessed hurry to make money. My immediate goals right now is to get more books out as quick as possible. And since I have 15 completed books in the tank (lucky me!), I can just continue to make timely payments to my editor and we can keep pumping out books on a regular basis.

So I don’t have to write at this point.

Let me know when Codename: Velocity is on Barnes and Noble. I think it takes about a day for it to get through their system and since it was published today on D2D, that means it will be available on Christmas Eve. (Hopefully.)

It took my book 2-3 days to appear on the draft to digital partner sites (Barnes and Noble, Kobo, etc) Some were faster than others.

Oh ok.

So the 26th then. Okay.

A copy of the e-mail:

Live status updates for this book:

Playster - Published on December 23, 2018, 7:40 PM

Bibliotheca - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 6:47 PM

OverDrive - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:05 PM

Apple - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:14 PM

Baker & Taylor - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:16 PM

Barnes & Noble - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:16 PM

Kobo - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:16 PM

Scribd - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:21 PM

Tolino - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:35 PM

24 Symbols - Submitted to Distributor on December 23, 2018, 7:38 PM

4 out of 5 stars on Playster? That’s pretty damned good.

That means…I didn’t suck. lol

Bacon butty, red sauce of brown? Also best advice for a 40+ year old brand new writer?

You really should be doing this in its own thread rather than on Michael’s.

@MichaelJSullivan, you may want to start a new one (part 2).

Sorry. Just feeling a little happy, wired, and somewhat sleep deprived.

Again.

You deserve to feel happy. Big accomplishment.

You will be glad, though, if you make your own thread for this stuff, because it will serve as a good record of exactly what you did and when and why – and you’ll be able to find it.

What guy? Sorry I’m having problems following the thread.

Schuyler

Most authors aren’t successful because their writing skill isn’t up to snuff. Writing words is incredibly easy. Writing COMPELLING words, not so much. Those that are successful follow a simple path.

1. Write a “good book” - where good is defined as a book people enjoy so much that they tell others, “You must read this!”
  2. Get the book in front of a core group of people willing to give it a try.
  3. Rinse and repeat steps #1 and #2 - Hopefully at a rate of at least 1 book a year, but 2 books a year is better.

Oh thanks, I figured as much - I just didn’t want to make any assumptions.

Several things come to mind.

1. Deviant Art - is a site that I’ve used when looking for cover artists. You should definitely put some stuff up there.

2. Reedsy is a site that self-published authors go to for cover design and editing services. You would have to be “approved” by the people that run the site (and I’m not sure what it takes to do that, but once you are, I think you’ll get some business through them.

3. Check out that 99designs - it’s a site where authors describe what they are looking for and designers can do concepts and one is picked. I don’t particularly like the system (from the artist’s point of view) because you could do a lot of work “on spec” but once you got a following, you could maybe leverage that for other work.

I hope that helps.

A good suggestion.

Actually, most trad pub houses don’t have in-house designers…they hire freelancers, but they DO have a list of freelancers that are generally their ‘go to’ guys and gals.

I think these are excellent points.

So a few things.

1. Your ranking in “genre” fiction is meaningless. The only number to watch is the “overall Amazon Ranking” I have a program that tracks ranking and I’ve been watching yours since launch. It’s been 106,000+ - 270,000+ (currently at 257,348) At this ranking you are selling about 1 or 2 books a day (the last sale was on 12/26). I mentioned elsewhere about getting yourself an Amazon Author Central Account which will track your ranking for you which as you start doing promotions will let you see when your sales are increasing.

2. I should also note that your ranking isn’t in “genre fiction” it’s in: "Books > Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction. Which is a VERY small sub-segment of books. If you were in #300 or #400 in Genre fiction, your Amazon rank would be around 1,200 or so - a much different scale. You REALLY need to learn about the various Amazon categories and make sure your book is positioned well. It’s better to be a big fish in a small pool than a small fish in a book pool when it comes to Amazon categories. Here is a link that will help you: Making the Most of your Amazon Categories

As to advertising…you SHOULD not pay for any advertising at this stage (one book released). You should be spending 90 - 95% of your time getting the next book out. For the 5% of the time you aren’t doing that you should be on Goodreads (and again I see you haven’t claimed your Goodreads author profile), and trying to find readers who will read the book IN THE HOPES OF (not on the condition of) getting reviews. Here are some links that will help with that:

Yes, and no. Getting “hyper focused” on your ranking can be a time sink that is highly unproductive, so yes, at this stage it’s not worth looking at, and there are places like Author Central that will track it for you, so you can check in once a week or month rather than hourly or daily. And I agree that right now the most important thing is more content…but when you get to the stage that you ARE doing marketing then watching the rank will determine if what you are doing is working or not. So AT THAT TIME, it is important, but not right now.