I'm an established full-time author - willing to answer questions if you have them

question

If you submit (Even if the book is under the preference of the word count.) will the agent mention if they think regardless of if the book (It’s a 7 book series, but I got book 1 done as a stand alone) is great but lacking word count. Will they just use that as a way to reject, or if they accept even if the word count is greatly low?

You’re not likely to get ANY feedback on a query – so they won’t tell you why they rejected. All you can do is produce the best book and story you can and then put it out there.

If you have requests from agents for fulls (the full manuscript), then you’ll likely get some feedback. Not always, but most of the time.

Ok, thanks.

Thank you so much for your help :heart:

I always thought this style allows you to move from one person to another if you say start following another character and stay in his head for some time. Guess I didn’t get it exactly right :sweat_smile:

Now I’m not sure if I read this right, but I checked some “tutorial”, and it mentioned you can use a combination of an indent and space between paragraphs. I do it since it seems “easy” for the eyes.

Good to hear. I was a bit unsure when I started thinking about it. I remember seeing some movies or series where they had Facelook instead of FB, so I thought there was some “hassle” to use FB :slight_smile:

What if I have a bad experience with it and I use it as a base for the next plot point or scene? Can they still sue me?

I don’t plan to do so as this story isn’t fanfiction :smiley:

Yes, I know one another person who does the same format-thingie like me :rofl: I was very surprised but happy I’m not the only one :wink:

Well, one of my editors said they don’t do it, and they saw it in many novels (or it sounded that way :thinking:) I guess it’s one of the numerous styles, and that may change across countries to suits their tradition :slight_smile:

This is really good to know :heart:

Thank you all so much :kiss:

Use QueryTracker and submit to agents who take adult fantasy - I’ve not heard of NA fantasy, I’m only aware of NA as a contemp romance category. QueryTracker has over 1,600 agents listed and I can’t search by genre anymore as my subscription has expired, but I suspect you will easily find a few hundred agents who rep fantasy.

Here’s a blog that will explain it: http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2010/12/can-i-mention-brand-name-products-in-my.html

The article explains the following 4 things that can get you into trouble:

The four areas of law to consider in connection with brand names are “trademark infringement,” “trademark dilution,” "trademark tarnishment,"and “defamation.”

As to head-hopping with omniscient, this is the best article I found that explains it: https://thewritepractice.com/head-hopping-and-hemingway/

It uses Ernest Heminway’s The Old Man and the Sea which is written in 3rd-person omniscient.

Thank you so much for your help :heart:

In business writing and on websites (like wattpad) you don’t indent paragraphs. You put a blank line between paragraphs. But in novels (ebook and print), you indent paragraphs and do not have a blank line between paragraphs.

And for a scene change in print, you put in a blank line. I guess that’s true for ebooks as well, but if the blank line is at the end of the screen on the e-reader or the beginning of the next screen (when you scroll), it might be missed by the reader. So I put in a blank line, something like * * * *, and another blank line for a scene change.

I agree with you that it’s “easier on the eye” when you have white space so I format my ebooks with 1.15 line spacing (single line spacing is 1.0, double is 2.0 so it’s just over single spacing) and 6pt after a paragraph. To be honest, I don’t know if Amazon’s KDP keeps that spacing or not. I think it does.

I sure wish I could :smiley: I’m really missing this feature here. It’S the first thing I set in any new document :rofl:

Yup, I used blank line before but switched to graphical divider since WP always messed them up (deleted, added).

I use this too. I want to publish it on SmashWords, and their guide recommended this spacing. I also have 0.1cm behind the paragraph which I assume is close to 6pt :wink:

Thank you for the tips :heart:

My guess it’s because of HTML (the language of webpages). In HTML, multiple spaces are dropped unless you use specific HTML codes like &nbsp (non-breaking space). And the indent formatted by your word processor is ignored by HTML.

I suppose so as multiple spaces can be a mistake, and the editor deletes it to make sure the text is readable in this aspect :slight_smile:

Hey, @MichaelJSullivan how much (Percentage wise) do full time authors I’ve looked it up outside of Wattpad most say 30% and if like if the book is $10 and all you get is peanuts for each book sale. Can you explain how KDP gives more of a percentage than traditional companies? Because between $2.99 and $8.99 you can get 70% but outside those numbers is 35% what can I do for choosing the right path without being screwed over?

Michael can give you some numbers, but the percentages for traditional are tiny. Realize though that they are footing the cost for for multiple rounds of editing, a cover, some (pre-launch) marketing, distribution, etc. You get an advance and, if that earns out, a smaller royalty percentage. Oh, and while the royalty percentage is small, there are likely far more sales, which balances out.

Yes, self pub has a wonderful royalty rate. But you have to be the publisher and incur all the financial risk.

This is such helpful advice. I only wish I could find the time to write. :sob:

Sorry all, I’ve been away in Florida for a mid-winter vacation. I’m back now and will start going through the posts that came in while I’ve been gone.

I agree with all of the above.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation, Michael :slight_smile:

Yes, my first published book was with a small press. Now, that said…I made exactly $0 from that endeavor and their release of my book did nothing to move the needle. But that’s just a single data point, and there are many people published through small presses that do better than I did. Of course you need to do your research. Check the Amazon rankings (use Advanced Search and type in the publisher’s name in the appropriate filed.) of other books they’ve released and make sure they have good-looking covers. If either (or both) are showing poor results for other authors they’ve worked with, I would “move on.”

Yes, some small presses do little more than you could do by yourself (because both you and them use POD and have the same access to distribution. They do “pay for” the production costs, but in the grand scheme of things, that’s a small investment given the disparity in split from book income.

You may be narrowing your search too much. There are thousands of agents…and you probably should open it up to adult rather than new adult.