Incoming Changes to Featuring

writing

According to Wikipedia:

Urban fiction , also known as street lit or street fiction is a literary genre set in a city landscape; however, the genre is as much defined by the socio-economic realities and culture of its characters as the urban setting. The tone for urban fiction is usually dark, focusing on the underside of city living. Profanity, sex, and violence are usually explicit, with the writer not shying away from or watering-down the material. Most authors of this genre draw upon their past experiences to depict their storylines.[1]

So you don’t need black MCs as far as I know - I think a lot of Urban Fiction just happens to have black MCs.

I also checked out Goodreads and they have the word for word same definition of the genre.

I would say it would be more about characters who are marginalised - and they could be any race/ skin tone - and facing discrimination.

So if you have characters who ‘fit in’ - regardless of colour - they probably aren’t urban.

What’s also interesting is that the genres are not a reflection of the popularity of genres on Wattpad both in quantity or in reader popularity.

So just because all the Fantasy people submit most of the stories, doesn’t mean that’s what is the most popular genre on Wattpad. So should the featured list be full of Fantasy to reflect the over-indexed submissions or should it keep in mind that Fantasy writers are inexplicably into submitting their stories for featuring?

Okay thanks. To me that would be it’s on genre.

@AWFrasier thanks too

Honestly? I think you should feature good stories. Sometimes there might be more Romance, sometimes there might be more Fantasy. Or Historical Fic. Or Chicklit.

I also know that’s a really blue-eyed and naive view on this, but I’d like to think at least the featured programme would think outside of genres and just focus on good stories.

Or maybe do like the Wattys and have different themes. So one for world building, one for story smiths, one for heart breakers, etc. etc.

Urban fiction is usually about specific scenarios, street/thug life, often involves gang romance or a sort of inner city setting and plotline driven by that setting.

Versus PoC, which would just be a marginalized lead in any particular genre.

So you could have a PoC fantasy lead, but not an Urban fantasy, so to speak.

That said there are Urban setting/plotlines crossed with other genres, but that’s fusing genres. For example, Urban Fantasy (urban as in street fiction) would be a sort of inner city gang fiction crossed with fantasy (there was a story I found once about a woman who ran a tattoo shop where the tattoos imbued magic powers and it sounded amazing but got taken down).

You could also mix Vampire in there or have a Science Fiction Urban Fiction situation

Well perhaps, I’m only asking or commenting on it from the comments above where someone said the list should reflect the submissions.

And that could also be true. There could be a billion fantasy stories and they’re not necessarily the right quality so the number might be meaningless.

Equally, that 2% Hist Fic or Spiritual might be 3 really awesome stories that all deserve to be on there

Thoughts on Wattys? Ideas?

i think it’d be a great idea to have themes as well. it’d guarantee a niche for the different genres, which also makes it easier for the reader when browsing

Yeah, I don’t know if it should reflect the submissions. I think a lot of us Fantasy writers are just really active - especially here on the threads, so maybe there’s just a larger group of Fantasy writers exposed to the fact that there now is an application again?

So yeah, I think I’m gonna stand with my blue-eyed notion of “Stories Over Genres.”

@Hubrism It’d be so cool. Especially if it got into the niche genres like Urban Fiction, Dark Fantasy and so on. I loved the idea of the themed featured lists, but I don’t know how successful they were in terms of actually getting books out there. I had some friends who were on them and they didn’t really see any difference in terms of traffic. Don’t know if the readers just weren’t looking or if they weren’t interested. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t force it to drink, unfortunately :horse:

Humor is only 1%? Well–I better submit my story right now. I’ve been reading these threads–some of you people need to laugh more! Hahahaha :smiley:

Urban Fiction is it’s own genre. The characters don’t have to be black. A romance novel with black characters is a romance book.

@MaryFahey please do not classifiy these books as Urban Fiction. You can have a white character set in the hood and that will be urban Fiction. There’s a reason why 8 Mile is played on B.E.T

Urban Fiction also known as street lit is it’s own genre. You can walk in any bookstore that carry urban and see that those books have it’s own section.

Exactly! :clap:

Need :clap: More :clap: Comedy :clap: (I’m doing this because Nick said he wants more of this :joy:)

I just submitted my application!! I feel really good about it.

I want to submit another application, but my brain is fried.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words.

@all Does anyone know how many featured submissions there were? (The percentages don’t say much if I don’t know the absolute value)

I have noticed that a lot of blurbs say “…seventeen year old (insert female name here)…”
Mine included XD

Maybe is is time for more stories like “The 100 year old man who climbed out the window.” - great story that one:-)

I submitted another application. :sleepy: I honestly put more effort into these applications than my actual essays.

Wau, that’s an amazing analysis :open_mouth: Great job! Can you tell us how many applications you have got at the time of making this? If it’s okay to share it, that is :sweat_smile: