Indent the first line of every paragraph or nah?

So I’ve seen some writers who like to indent the first line of every paragraph and some that don’t. What do you think is the better way to go about?

Like every published book indents on every paragraph but most on Wattpad don’t, so is this just a WP thing? Is there a proper way to go about? What are some reasons to indent/not? What do readers prefer?

Lol, You know I don’t.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know that. Just want to see what some other people think since I’ve seen mostly no indentation but like?why??

I was always taught that indentation was primarily for handwritten documents and that in a digitised doc you have the choice. As long as, if you choose not to indent, you leave a paragraph spacing. It’s up to you ultimately

6 Likes

The reason why I don’t indent is because the ‘tab’ button doesn’t work when typing on Wattpad’s user frame. My natural instinct is to use the tab button, so I generally just avoid having to press the space button many times.

Traditionally, published books have indented paragraphs, so, if you plan on publishing your works, it may benefit you to write it in a word doc and then copy and paste over (or vise versa and add indents later).

6 Likes

Hm yeah I’ve always indented in handwriting. I wonder why every single published book indenting still though?

I think because it’s a traditional format. Publishers love to stick to the traditional ways of doing things I think. In a book I think it reads better too that way but in Wattpad format I don’t think it matters as much

1 Like

I always write in docs first then transfer to anything else. Don’t have the skill to do it directly on wattpad lol

1 Like

That’s very true. So follow-up question: would you like to see no indentations in published books in the future?

1 Like

The reason why printed books typically have indents is because there aren’t spaces between paragraphs as there are online.

So, if there weren’t indents, it would look like a single blob of writing.

It allows people to easily track when a topic is going to change or when something new happens.

9 Likes

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Saves paper. That’s not a problem with WP tho lol. I wonder who on wattpad decided that indents were only a publishing thing and they were free to just not indent online?

1 Like

I’m normally of the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality. I think though if it fit with the contemporary stylisation of the book, then go for it but I am aware that it can look heavy on the eye - I’ve read plenty of scientific papers and they don’t always like to indent :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Right!! It actually kind of drives me crazy, but I guess I can live with it LOL

1 Like

same here

1 Like

Personally I indent the paragraphs on (most) of my stories. Dialogue as well. I just press the space bar three times.

I think indenting it makes the book feel more, I don’t know, it just looks more professional? At least that’s what I feel.

1 Like

Honestly after reading so many WP books without I dents I think I’ve gotten used to no indenting…?

I think in the mobile format, it isn’t really necessary to have indents and it can take up a lot of space on the screen. I suppose as long as you can see a new paragraph is intended, it’s ok

2 Likes

Lol when i write I alwaysss indent but I’m realizing that most WP books don’t and it doesn’t even look that bad so now I’m confused lol

1 Like

Haha true, I find that with most digitised things, it completely takes over what you originally knew

1 Like

honestly i don’t really care about indents. the story is all that matters to me. :joy:

6 Likes