Intro to the Multimedia Designs club (MDC)

intro%20MDC

Welcome to the Multimedia Designs club (MDC) !

In this thread I’ll try to breakdown the MDC’s fancy terminology, rules and general bits of confusing-ness into bitesize chunks for (hopefully) your reading leisure.

If you have any questions after reading through these posts, don’t hesitate to ask in this thread and I or somebody else will try to help you :bluehearts:

welcome%20club

Directory

(To view the full list of terms included in each post, click the ► symbol to the left of each of the category names below.)

Post #2:

Shop Statuses & Types

Open/ Closed
Hiatus
cfc/ CFCU
u/c
dne/dnp
No-Commit
Premade
Fake Request

Post #3:

Types of Graphics

Covers/ Book Covers
Minimal
Simple
Manip
Collage
Illustrated
Mockup

Threads

Banner
Pure Image
Story Ad

Profile Pictures (Icons)
Simple
Manip
Drawn
Icon Pack

Profile Headers

Banners
Character Banner
Story Banner

Blends

Manips/ Manipulations

Character Sketches
Headshot
Half-Body
Full-Body

Post #4:

Forms (and how to fill them out)

Cover/ General Form
Thread Design Form
Character Sketch Form

Post #5:

Important Miscellaneous General Terminology

Bump
Reserved
Password
Rules
Thread Hopping
Accepted/ Denied
Pending
Queue
Payment

intro%20MDC

Shop Statuses & Types

What is a 'Graphic Shop'?

A ‘graphic shop’ is a user-created thread in which users offer services such as designing graphics for your works and profile.

Shop Statuses

In graphic shops, shops generally have statuses/ ‘titles’ - these are useful for finding/ narrowing down threads you’re particularly interested in viewing. In graphic shops, there’s a few terms which tend to crop up a lot:

Open/ Closed

If a shop’s open, it means the designer’s currently making graphics and taking requests and you’re welcome to come fill out a form. If it’s closed, the designer is not taking requests (often due to having received too many requests or a lack of time), and at this point you may not request a graphic in said shop.

Hiatus

I haven’t seen this one around recently, but it’s good to be aware of. If a shop says ‘Hiatus’ it means the designer is not around - this could be for an indefinite amount of time. In this scenario, I don’t recommend requesting, as chances it it’ll take the designer quite a while to see/ get round to your request.

cfc/ CFCU

These stand for ‘closed for catchup’ (or occasionally ‘closed for ketchup’) and means you shouldn’t request.

u/c

Under Construction. This means a shop is being set up and isn’t ready for you to request in. Should be fine to lurk in I’m totally not guilty of this but until the u/c part is removed, best not to post anything.

dne/dnp

Do not enter/ do not post in the thread in question. I know it’s tempting, but pretend it’s a Zombie hideout and steer clear… you’ll get your chance if/ when they open it in the future.

No-Commit

Generally used when a designer is very busy and doesn’t have much time on their hands. This means they’re under no obligation to actually do your request, but majority of the time they’ll be pretty lenient about also letting you thread hop/ request elsewhere (thread hopping defined in a later post).

Premade

A Premade graphic is a graphic that’s already been completed by a designer but not used for whatever reason. In the case of a ‘premade’ shop, you can request the ‘premades’ shown in the shop for your own books/ use, usually with only a simple title/ author change required. This means that you already know what you’ll be getting/ what the graphic looks like before you request.

Fake Request

Fake requests are just that - fake. They’re requests made up by other users as if they were genuine requests, except they’re only for practice and won’t actually be used by the requester. This is also a good way of gathering premades.

3 Likes

intro%20MDC

Types of Graphics

Looking through the MDC’s threads, you’ll notice they often specific which types of ‘graphics’ they’re offering. It can be a little confusing to distinguish what each type of graphic actually is, so here’s a description of each of the commonly found graphic types, some with examples.

Covers/ Book Covers

Minimal

Usually contains one main focus point. Often appear to be quite basic, with either a focus on text, or on a single object. However, these are often the hardest type of cover to get right.

image image

Simple

These often use one main background image, with a plainer font style. Simple covers are good at getting a single message about the story across. These covers seem to work particularly well for Romance, Historical Fiction, Mystery, Horror, Non-Fiction and related genres.

Manip

These are the fancy covers you often see floating around on more otherworldy-type books, especially Indie (self-published) Fantasy/ Sci-Fi. On Wattpad these are generally pretty eye catching, but difficult to get right, as having all the cover’s components ‘add up’ is key.

image image

Collage

A collage cover is one made out of several images arranged in a collage format. Good for YA romance/ possibly chicklit.

Illustrated

These are becoming more popular in YA Fantasy/ Sci-Fi, but aren’t often offered by Wattpad designers (although there has recently been an increase in designers offering them). These are great for showcasing a main character or scene in your story.

Mockup

A ‘Mockup’ is a preview of what your cover would look like on a real book/ ebook.

Threads

Banner

This has a fancily designed banner at the top of the post with simple editable text added beneath.

Pure Image

Pure Img (Image) threads are the most ‘designed’ type of threads, with everything from the background, to the title, to the text edited by the designer. However, if you order one of these, you cannot edit the text within the design.

Story Ad

A thread design in image or HTML, which you can use to promote your story in the relevant #share-your-story thread(s).

Profile Pictures (also known as Icons)

Simple

A basic icon, often a simple edit of a photo (e.g. your favourite movie character).

Manip

A more heavily designed icon, often with more fancy effects/ manipulation.

Drawn

Either digitally or hand drawn. For these, you may be asked to provide a reference/ references and ideas.

Icon Pack

A Request in which you ask for more than one Icon. For example, you might want a ‘Harry Potter’ icon pack, with one Harry, one Ron and one Hermione Icon. This’ll mean you have multiple different icons/ profile pics to choose from.

Profile Headers

These are ‘banners’ that go behind your profile picture on your Wattpad page. They can be used for a variety of things, such as showing of your stories’ covers, a quote meaningful to you, or just something aesthetic.

Banners

Character Banner

Commonly used in story chapters to either introduce a character’s traits or give the reader a character visual. These banners are usually aimed at showcasing a single character and hence focus in on said character.

Story Banner

Story banners are used at the beginning of chapters, and mostly contain the story’s title. Chapter banners are similar, but also contain the chapter number/ name that’s currently being read. These are great eye-catchers for your work and may help it stick in readers’ heads.

Blends

Blends are literally a ‘blend’ of stuff relating to your story. You could have a couple of scenes on the blend, a few characters, and while it might not make obvious sense as a scene it’s great for representing multiple parts of your story on one graphic.

Manips/ Manipulations

Ever seen a magical fantasy movie scene ( cough Harry Potter arriving at Hogwarts cough ) and wondered if you’d be able to get similar epic effects for a scene in your story?

Manipulations are a snapshot of your story, using images (aka stocks) from multiple different sources to fuse together and bring to life that idea lurking in your head.

You want a Unicorn riding a Dragon outside Hogwarts, with Loki standing outside the Castle’s entrance, wearing a pink onesie? Manipulations are what you’re looking for. (Sadly I don’t have the pink onesie example. I dare any brave souls to give it a shot though).

Character Sketches

Character sketches are digitally or traditionally (pen and paper) drawn sketches of your character.

Headshot

Head and shoulders only.

Half-Body

Generally Head, Shoulders and waist-up.

Full-Body

Drawing of your character from head to toe, possibly with some background additions as well.

1 Like

intro%20MDC

Forms (and how to fill them out)

The Form

The dreaded form… it’s often difficult to fill out and get your ideas down (even for those of us who design who also request graphics casually hides), but a well thought-out form filled out in detail is a huge help to your designer (trust me on this - I’ll even include a GIF to show my seriousness).

pleAW

I’ve added in a few commonly found design shop forms below - some of the subsections are self explanatory but I’ll do my best to explain those that are a little more complex.

Cover/ General Form

Story Title:
The title of the story you’re requesting the cover for

Subtitle:
A tagline that hints at what your story is about. This is usually optional

Author Name:
The name you’d like as your author name/ penname on the cover

Cover type:
Minimal, Simple, Manip etc - see post #3

Genre(s):
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Romance, Historical Fiction etc

Mood:
Dark, Light, Suspense, Happy…

Colours:
The colours you’d like to be used on the graphic

Ideas:
This is easily the most important part of your form - it’s where you say what you’d like the graphic to look like/ its concept. Don’t rush it and write a single sentence, as it’s difficult for a designer to get inspiration/ an idea from that. Instead, take your time and think about what you really want on the cover. Do you have any characters you want on it? Any particular setting? What about extra objects?

Summary:
A short summary of your book so the designer knows what it’s about

Inspo/ Inspiration:
Links to a few published book covers you like the style of - this helps the designer get an idea of what you’re after

Anything else:
*Mostly an optional section. Be aware though that the designer may want you to include a ‘Password’ here.

Thread Design Form

Title:
Title of your thread

Subtitle:
Optional subtitle (e.g. offering covers, offering critiques)

Style:
Banner, Pure Img, etc

Colour scheme:
The colours you’d like to feature on the thread’s design. is a good resource for finding palettes.

Text:
Generally for pure IMG. The text you’d like in the main body of the thread design.

Ideas:
Ideas for the design - e.g. do you want it based off a fandom, character, season? Do you have any ideas for the design itself?

Anything else:
Again, be aware you may have to include a Password here

Character Sketch Form

(form credit HEEdwards)

Character name:

Personality:
A few key personality traits of your character

Appearance:
What does your character look like? What are their defining features? Generally, the more detail, the better here.

Clothes:
What genre/ style of clothing does your character wear?

Reference images:
Images of character lookalike models, hair references, clothing references, eye references… again, the more, the better.

Headshot/ Half Body/ Full-Body:
This has been cropping up a little more recently - differences explained in post #3.

intro%20MDC

Important Miscellaneous General Terminology

but-wait-theres-more-gif-14

This may seem a lot of fancy terminology, but most of the time it’s just designers enjoying using short phrases to sum up nicer (but slightly longer) explanations of the same descriptions. (This explanation just confused me. But with any luck, the following definitions will be easier to understand :bluehearts:):

Bump

When a User posts ‘bump’ it means they’re ‘bumping up’ their thread to the top of the most recently active threads list in the hope of receiving more responses. This is okay to do every once in a while, but spamming ‘Bump’ (or similar) in a short period of time is a no-no.

Reserved

If a post is ‘reserved’ it means that while it currently doesn’t have anything in, it may be edited in the future. If a graphic or premade is ‘reserved’ it means someone has already claimed it to request at a later date.

Password

When a password is present, it is usually contained within the graphic shop’s rules and could be something along the lines of ‘put your favourite colour in the ‘Anything Else’ section of your request form’. Passwords are important to take note of and follow, as they show you’ve read and understood the designer’s rules.

Rules

Wattpad Graphic shops usually have a set of rules requesters must adhere to. It could be something along the lines of ‘I only make x genre covers’, ‘complete payment within z days of delivery’ (see below), or ‘no Thread Hopping’ (also see below). It is seriously recommended you follow the designer’s rules and clarify them if needed before requesting, as not following them (even by a misunderstanding) can lead to upset on both yours and the designer’s parts.

Thread Hopping

This is when a requester requests the same graphic in several different places, either at the same time or within a very short period. Some places allow thread hopping, however others don’t and are very hot on not allowing it. If you want to multiple request the same graphic/ thread hop, check (and double check) the designers’ rules for the shops you’re requesting in before doing so, to confirm all places you’re looking at allow it.

Accepted/ Denied

If you’ve been accepted, it means the designer will definitely be making your request. If you’re denied, the designer is unable to make your request, and you are free to look elsewhere.

Pending

If your request is pending acceptance, it means that the designer is willing to give it a go, but can’t confirm if they’ll actually be able to make it. If it’s ‘pending delivery’, the designer is yet to get round to your request. If your request status is ‘pending payment’, the designer is waiting for you to complete their payment before moving forwards with the request/ design.

Queue

The ‘Queue’ is usually found within the first few chapters of the shop, and lists all ongoing requests. After you’ve requested, you should be added and you’ll be able to track the status of your request in that shop part.

Payment

A lot of designers ask for some kind of ‘payment’ in return for their services - common examples include credit in your story description if used, a permanent follow, add one of their books to a public reading list or comment on the designer’s story. If a designer lists they’d like payment in their rules in exchange for the graphic, it is not optional, nor should you ‘undo’ the payment after receiving your requested graphic. Designers can spend hours on a single graphic - some small payment of appreciation on the requesters’ parts isn’t too much to ask.

In accordance with Wattpad’s Code of Conduct, design shops’ payment should be linked to Wattpad - physical or monetary payment is not allowed on the forums or on the main site.

intro%20MDC

Got a question?

Ask away! :smile:

ready

1 Like

Reserved

Reserved

Reserved

Reserved

I have a question

1 Like

What’s your question? :slightly_smiling_face:

so thankful to finally find a platform to ask my question. Actually i used to be a graphic designer here 4 years ago and certainly EVERYTHING has chnaged from outlook to using ways. However, I have a few questions if u can answer kindly as i want to come back from this long of a break.

1. i forgot the size of wattpad cover so can u please tell me the sizes of banners, blends, icons, covers etc.
  2. how to post pictures in thread? like coding for picture to not appear giantic or some basic codes to help me post clean in threads. like links, pictures n all. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey, welcome back! :wave:

The main dimensions are these:

Covers = 512x800px (although any equivalent dimensions work)
Icon = 512x512px
Banners/ Blends = your choice. I haven’t designed any recently but if I remember correctly those dimensions are up to the designer.

The code below should work:

<a href="imglink" width="100">

Alternatively, you can copy and paste the image directly into the thread comment box, or upload it directly from your files using the arrowed button:

arrow

If you use this method, you’ll get a code like the one below. Where the 750x104 bit is, these are the pixel dimensions so you can edit those accordingly to make the image smaller/ larger.

![arrow|750x104](upload://aQ9CJuLeMoxLcBE6z1dBzUy9rL4.png)

Hope this helps :smile:

1 Like

So helpful and quick! thanks!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

No worries at all, you’re welcome - best of luck with your comeback! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them anytime :smile:

1 Like