Is it the same with the other genres?

So, I am a part of a book club, I won’t name it. But it’s a horror book club and I noticed something, the members just leave, I don’t know why. It’s a fun book club. Then, I noticed the same thing, all the R4R I did with other horror writers were really disappointing, perhaps because I was not honest enough. But yeah… It’s the same when I read other people’s stories outside of R4R, they just don’t interact with their readers.

Is it because horror is unpopular than the community is so unmotivated in interactions? Idk, the horror family just feels very cold to me so far.

4 Likes

I’ve tried with just general book clubs too and it’s a simple fact that good critics are scarce on Wattpad. Your best shot is to try and get into one of the book clubs that actually have some barrier to entry, require commitment, and where you have to give as good as you wanna get for real feedback.

1 Like

It’s the internet, people are not compelled to turn up or stay. Things are going on in peoples lives. I write cosmic horror. I don’t know how to talk to readers.

1 Like

I’m in one book club and it’s already hard enough. It’s just suck to have the same same same chapters of your story being read over and over again. That’s why I would rather read horror stories.

That’s another reason why I don’t like that world. It’s as if everything that made people humans was the opposite of who I am.

1 Like

Humans are arbitrary vessels of emotions, that can be unpredictable. You should check out HP Lovecraft, read his stuff on pdf

1 Like

I read the Color from outer space. It was amazing and oppressing. Did you watch the movie btw?
And I mean, humans are quite predictable once you expect them to always disappoint you.

1 Like

I have not seen the movie, but I want to.
You can find audiobooks of his on youtube.
Once you assume the worst, you will never be disappointed.

1 Like

True XD.

1 Like

That is what has got me through life lol

1 Like

Personally, though it’s a belief I created only a few days ago, DON’T DO READ FOR READS!
Most times you end you reaching out to the wrong audience. Reaching out to the wrong audience is a lot worse than reaching out to no audience.

Believe it or not, nobody cares about your work as much as you do. It is up to you to find people who sincerely love your work, people who would follow your work and not just read five chapters and forget about it.

Then again, everything has it’s ups and downs. R4Rs are not horrible. You could find someone who loves your work that way, you could even find someone whose work you love. I don’t support it because sometimes I have to feign love for something I obviously don’t like.

It’s horrible.

I personally interact and my genre is wolf

I never needed R4Rs and I decided to do a few just for fun but gosh that’s the most boring thing to do. I haven’t done mine in months and neither has the others lol and keep in mind this is for Romance. I just stopped being interested in their work. Same goes for a book club I joined. I didn’t need it, but joined it for fun. It hasn’t been updated in 5 months. :woman_facepalming:t4: I’m never doing these things again. :woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

Gee, leads you to think that maybe a lot of the membership here are illiterate children with no conception of responsibility, or writing skills adequate to give them confidence to talk about critique problems or solutions, and no sense of gratitude, who are in dire need of socialization, who dont actually read! My goodness! How could that be?

1 Like

I mean I don’t do random R4Rs lol. Plus at least they help to earn votes and views, so to climb the rankings.

1 Like

I mean, you write romance, so of course you don’t need it. Not to be rude. But it’s not the same for horror

I’m not going to use the same words but… :joy:

Oh, yeah I know. I’m just saying since you asked if doing R4Rs and book clubs are the same for other genres.

1 Like

True

Please excuse my reply, written while very tired. It all depends of course, on what you are used to. I began my journey on critique sites, learning and burnishing the craft amid people who were fiercely interested in developing manuscripts of publishable quality. Who obsessed over spelling , grammar, characterization , pace, color, and producing compelling stories. After bleeding there for several years, I sponsored my own critique clubs, and joined and moderated others,while continuing my own journey. That sort of fire seems missing here to me, but then, its a display site, not a writers club So…

1 Like