Is poetry dead?

When I joined Wattpad close to 5years ago, I literally didn’t know anyone but there were several people who read and commented on my poems. These days I know a number of people and I have made a few friends but I barely get a comment! Now, it’s possible, even though improbable that I have become a worse poet than I was back then but it’s highly unlikely. How is your experience? Is poetry dead?!

6 Likes

Wattpad poetry- Contests

I’ve got 1k reads on my poetry and prose book. I think I might have accumulated enough of each to put my one-shots in their own book. I don’t keep up with its reads, and the count doesn’t grow as fast as my other books, but it grows. There are some very good poets on Wattpad. Read and comment on theirs, they quite often return the favor.

One trick is to mention things like you did a similar poem so you can relate to theirs, you tend to not use a particular format in your poetry, etc, just mentioning (once or twice, tops) in their comments that you also have poetry, not spamming and in the context of relating to their poems. Those who seek out poetry will take the hint. Another thing to do is honestly give feedback on what you like about the poems, starting a dialogue and supporting the community. I only do occasional poetry, usually for contests, but I follow a few poets because I like their work.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: I hadn’t tried contests before

1 Like

I love contests. Believe it or not, most of my books started because of a contest. I don’t do all of the poetry contests, but every now and again one tickles my fancy, and it makes my brain work differently than when I get bogged down writing a story.

Come to think of it, I’m starting a whole new themed poetry/prose book because of their December contest.

1 Like

Same here.

I used to enter contests and that helped a lot with reads and comments I think. :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

In all 5 years I haven’t participated in a single contest! :cry:

Yeah I think I’ll start with contests too now…

2 Likes

But yeah I’ve been running a review thing recently and I always give the people who ask for reviews the choice between my poetry and a story I’m working on and people almost always go for the story

2 Likes

In my case, my poetry book was more successful but that has slowed down significantly!

2 Likes

Poetry is never dead, rather perhaps buried in the mountains of other books on Wattpad - similar to any bookstore you would go to.

4 Likes

Poetry is actually the opposite of dead. It is the embodiment of life itself. How wonderful to express yourself with a handful of lines…every word holding profound meaning. Emotions evoked in a matter of minutes of reading. Poetry to me…no beating around the bush and getting direct to the point of your pursuit of passionate persuasion :wink:

4 Likes

Beautiful words. I agree. Poetry just gives u the words speech can’t offer you. You can be so many different persons while writing poems but stay true to urself at the same time.
Poetry really brings out the magic of litterature.

3 Likes

Absolutely!..well said :sunny:

Poetic response

1 Like

Not dead but buried :grinning: Was the irony intended?

1 Like

…maybe.

1 Like

In my experience there are a few popular poetry collections, I write poetry as well and I’ve found that advertising using the options of the forums works pretty decently to get your work out there.

1 Like

Do not rely on the ranking system to help you out, that thing is broken lol.

1 Like

Poetic and mysterious :neutral_face:

no i have poetry on my page u can check it out

1 Like