Is the font Times New Roman Copyrighted?

Like is it free to use when publishing a physical book without buying one of those font licenses?

You don’t need to pay a license for Times New Roman.

1 Like

I am 89% sure of this.

1 Like

Well, I’m so confused, online it’s something about like typefaces and fonts.

Like what the **** is this supposed to mean XD?

For example, " Times New Roman " is a typeface, but the software that tells your printer how to print an “A” in Times New Roman is the font.

I mean, Times New Roman is the standard for a lot of essay writing fonts.

I’m pretty sure most of the fonts that come with whatever word processor you’re using are free.

And plus I’m sure it’s something that a publisher is going to have to worry about more than a writer.

1 Like

Planning on self-publishing…

1 Like

I think that it just means the text on the screen when you type in Times is different than what the printer prints out??

1 Like

I mean even then are you going to self publish on Amazon or are you going to use a site like I can’t remember what that one site is called.

I mean unless if you literally just plan on printing tons of copies of your book at home then you should be ok and the people who print out the book should be the ones that have to worry about that.

Yep Amazon, and they have font option choices? I always thought it was the author’s responsibility to have their butt covered in regards to fonts, after all you’re the one choosing the font to publish with.

1 Like

And I have faith that I’ll have some buyers for my book, besides buying a copy for myself, thank ya:)

1 Like

Yeah I’d say ask industry insider they’d know WAY more about this then probably most people in cafe.

1 Like

That a website?

Times New Roman is safe. It comes standard with basically every computer known to man thus it doesn’t need you to buy a license.

3 Likes

No, it’s here on Wattpad. Right now we’re in the cafe, but there are different clubs that are designed for different needs. Industry Insider is on the bottom, it’s the section with the magnifying glass. There are a lot of experts with experience self publishing there and they can tell you ALL the ins and outs

https://www.wattpadwriters.com/c/industry-insider/industry-insider-read-this-first

^^^ Here’s the basic rules.

1 Like

So I can publish a book (in paper form) with this type of font (in italics) and not have to worry about getting my butt sued off? Also do you know of any other fonts that are also fine to use without a license?

Thanks, moved the thread there.

1 Like

You’ll have to research the fonts yourself to make sure they’re fair use but Times New Roman is definitely fair use. It’s standard.

3 Likes

Okay thanks:) I remember that you helped me out before on cover fonts.

I plan to self publish someday. I use Times New Roman as my font for my books. It’s easy, universal, and free to use. However, if you’re going to get covers, the fonts on those do have to be purchased and licensed.