Is this third person omniscient?

I’m trying to master third person omniscient. This is the first paragraph of Ch.1 of my third person omniscient WIP. Am I doing this correctly? I tried to take this scene as me (the narrator) telling someone a story, so I begin with Henry (the son) and then go to Mordecai (the father) but then describe the father and what the father is thinking (which I know because I’m the narrator).

Should I maybe not describe Mordecai (the father) in the first scene? But I’m not head hopping…help? Is saying “Henry froze in the dark” a head hop?

Henry froze in the dark at the call of his name. The lights turned on and his father stood in the doorway to his study. Mordecai was a big man with a belly, but not morbidly obese. He adorned a thick mustache he combed every morning that at the end of the day lay flat on his face as if someone had stuck fur on his lip. His mustache twitched as he glared down at his son thinking how pathetic of a boy he was. Mordecai could not understand why his son broke every rule, while knowing there were painful, unavoidable consequences.

Spot on for third person omniscient. You could describe Mordecai less in the first paragraph to keep the paragraph flowing if you wish, but describing him does not step away from your aim of telling the story in the third person omniscient style. All the best :slight_smile:

I think that’s it. From what I understand, 3rd pty omni is like if you are the fly on the wall with telepathy to read what all characters are doing. I might be wrong but that’s how I understand it.

1 Like

That’s a good way of putting it :0

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Yep, that’s third person omniscient, you aren’t head hopping. I love writing in that pov, it feels natural to me, most of my stories use it. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Spot. On.

1 Like

Sort of. The narrator has the telepathy to know what everyone is thinking, feeling, etc, but the narrator has to tell us that info through a filter. We can’t get direct thoughts. So this is 100% correct:

But this would not have been:

How can he live like that? Mordecai wondered. Consequence after consequence, but he doesn’t learn. This one will break the rules until the day he dies.

Yes, that’s 3rd-person omniscient.

If you have doubts as to why, read this article: https://thewritepractice.com/head-hopping-and-hemingway/