Is writing your hobby?

I know most don’t want to call writing a hobby, but to some, it kinda is. I didn’t start off wanting it as a hobby but over time, I’ve come to accept that its status as one. And as a hobby, we tend to spend on it. When I wanted to be a real writer (wishing on a star), I’d try to cut costs. But once I settled into it and made peace with the fact that it is what it is, I decided that rather than wait for some random publisher to make my dreams come true, I’d do it on my own! So! That meant putting some money behind it. P.S. This route isn’t for everybody!

I’m in a unique situation where I can. I wrote the self-editing book to help others who splurge because I’ve been there. I’m not well off but I do save for my books. So I got some new covers, the latest one, I’ll show today if you’ll let me. And I even have an audio (two, well, three if you count the self-editing one) that are in the works. The sentinel one is finished and should be released soon. I’d put a sample here but I’m not sure if we’re allowed to put links off site.

Here are the covers I commissioned. I think they turned out rather well, as well as the latest one!

Sated-Fina-Version-6

OG9M-cut

Newest cover (not yet finished)

I’ll put the audio book link but if it’s bad then let me know and I’ll take it down.

So is writing your hobby? What have you done towards it?

It doesn’t have to be about spending. Do you see this as a hobby?

I saw it as a hobby, still do… but am more and more looking into publishing and finding my way there. also looking at the financial departement, where I realised Im Lucky in
so, I am working Towards publishing

3 Likes

Yes I’m a hobby writer because I don’t want to get published, too much work lol. I have random story ideas that I always wanted to write and just put up somewhere, not necessarily as a full fledged book. I just post on wattpad for now, maybe will try other platforms if they grow well/give more benefits.

2 Likes

If you ever need an edit or a critique, I’ve gotta support my childhood hero (well, you look close enough to Megatron so… it’ll do)

3 Likes

used to be since before the pandemic now I’m stuck in my progressive story

1 Like

haha megatron is the best XD

It is 100% a hobby for me. I have a lot of fun doing it but I really feel like the extra stress of publishing or self publishing or even working with deadlines and editors would suck all the fun out of it for me.

I’m just here because I enjoy writing the kinds of stories I’d want to read and I post just on the off chance that someone out there will enjoy them too.

I like learning about writing and doing what I can to improve. But even there, I’m not too serious about it. I learn what I can on my own but I’m not even out there looking for feedback.

1 Like

As of right now yes, writing is just a hobby. But I do want to make a career out of it. Maybe once I’ve written a few books I can get out of the hobby stage so I have a few stacked up to try and publish. For right now though it’s a for fun thing to do because killing irl people is considered illegal :rofl: (I’m just kidding) but it is a great way to relieve stress.

2 Likes

Yup, writing is my hobby. I read stories I love on Wattpad and I try to support the authors the best I can. I write stories in case anyone would want to do the same for me. I’m looking to improve my writing and figure out what my writing style is. I want to get better at editing and graphic design. I like writing, and it’s a fun hobby that I enjoy at the moment, but I doubt it will ever turn into a career.

2 Likes

No, writing is not a hobby. This year will be the first year we will be claiming my writing as a business.
Took three years to get to this point. We’re still not making enough to live off of, but any money I do make, I pour right back into my business. But I love working at something I love to do, and it feels like a hobby, but it no longer is in the hobby category.

I have a question for you @AshlynForge Has your income increased with each book release?

1 Like

Yep me too. A lot of writing getting done here too.

1 Like

At the moment it is…

Writing is my hobby. I had a dream that it could be more than that, truly I still do, but after getting rejected by some agents, I’ve just decided not to put my resources behind it unless I’m certain it’s of the quality to be something. Given the rejection I’ve experienced, I can say that my hopes have markedly diminished. Wattpad sort of reignited them, being a platform where I could at least share my work with those willing to read it…I decided that, if one person got enjoyment out of it, it’s worth the sharing. And I’m going to keep writing. Because I love it. But it may only ever be a hobby. And I’ve made my peace with that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah

1 Like

Yes writing is a hobby for me although I would like it to be a career choice for me in the future.

1 Like

That’s how I feel about my writing too! It’s so rewarding to get those few people who seem to really enjoy your work.

3 Likes

My income depends on me, not my book sales. My self-editing book still sells, as does the audio book for the self-editing book and I don’t advertise for it. But as for the novels, no, I make no money off them. I just enjoy doing it.

2 Likes

Mine is a hobby. On the other hand, it’s also now my university course so I guess it’s more education now :joy:

1 Like

Writing is my hobby for now. I know that it’s a really slim chance to make writing into a full-time job, but if I ever get published, I will do my best to aim it as a part-time job. After all, hobbies are what you’d do in your spare time like on the weekends. A part-time job helps with some of the costs whether in your personal life or towards your career. But since I’m not published, it’s my hobby for now.

As for what I’ve done? Nothing really. The only major thing I’ve done is look into the publishing world and research about how it works and what I can do to make an excellent query and put it in the hands of a good agent.

1 Like

The type of writing I do here on Wattpad is definitely, 100% a hobby. The type of writing they make me do at work is definitely, 100% not a hobby. I don’t spend any money on either one, beyond electricity for my various devices and the occasional notebook or bottle of ink (I’m a fountain pen aficionado) - and even then I sometimes use scrap paper taken home from work.

1 Like