Issues with Wattpad help?

I have repeatedly tried to contact Wattpad about what I think is one of their site’s biggest issue: the tagging system does not work. Stories do NOT show up in their categories, making them virtually unable to be found if someone is not directly looking for your story.

It seems strange to me that while all other websites I have used (fanfiction.net and Ao3 included) have a working tagging system - I could built a WORDPRESS site that has a working tagging system, but on wattpad it doesn’t work, and the builders do not seem concerned.

I got a copy paste answer at first, replied that I was hurt by their copy paste answer, and… got another in return. Is someone even managing Wattpad help or does Julian only send out bot replied to people that do not pay for their story to be high up?

As I have posted above, the issue is not resolved, I have mentioned this to support, and support brushes me off with rude, out of the box copy-paste answers that say nothing.

My bug also had… nothing to do with story rankings, I can see my rankings just fine. It just doesn’t show up in the category it is supposed to be in. If your story is paranormal, and you click paranormal and it is not in the list that seems like a glaring bug to me.

You can ask the ambassadors for help here: Ask the Ambassadors Anything!

I made this topic specifically because I am curious whether there are other people that have been handled as rudely by support as I was. If a website cannot offer customer support past generated messages, in my opinion something is wrong.

Hi there! I’m Gabby from HQ :wave: I hope I can provide some clarity on this.

I checked your story The Lord of Bryn Du, it seems to be ranking in a lot of different tags! This includes paranormalromance, hauntedmansion, and others. It’s important to note, though, that the ranked tags will only appear if you’re in the top 1000. So for smaller tags such as haunted mansion in which there are 648 stories with this tag, or even for enemiestolovers which has 4k stories in the tags, it’s much easier to get in the top 1000. A tag like #paranormal has 72k stories that you’re competing against, meaning it’s much, much more difficult to get into the top 1000 (but all the more rewarding when you do!), as you have to be trending higher than 71k other stories.

The “New” list, again, includes those 72k other stories so that’s why it’s hard to even appear on the New list for one of the major tags. From what I can see of your story, the tags are working the way they should be (ranking in smaller tags, working you’re way up to the more popular tags!).

If you have any questions, or if there’s anything else I can help with, let me know.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, Gabby! :hearts:

But in this way, isn’t it senseless to add your story to a category? Because it won’t be found, or even featured, not even when you update, in New… other publishing sites do not have this issue, and I find it strange that there is not more of a boost for new writers. It’s not specifically about my story but about the concept: I see the same stories featured on the front page daily, with absolutely no chance for new writers to show off or broadcast their skills.

That’s why we introduced the ability to rank in multiple tags, so that there’s increased visibility for stories even if they’re not ranking in one of the broader genre tags, and it doesn’t push all the pressure on only appearing in this one hot ranking list. Technically your story is ranking in paranormal, but it’s not meaningful if you’re ranking #61,235 (an example, not your actual ranking) out of 72k because it’s highly unlikely anyone could scroll through enough pages to get there, which is why it’s not outwardly stated. With 72k stories in one tag (millions if you’re considering a tag like romance), it’s impossible to give every single story the same amount of promotion on one single list. But if someone is specifically looking for enemiestolovers and paranormal, they’re much more likely to find your story! For instance, if I narrow down the enemiestolovers tagged list for paranormal only stories, you’re #16.

Adding a genre tag is also a good way to gauge if your story is trending higher for when you eventually do get on that list! This is why we also have a lot of different resources on how to build your audience, as the hot lists are just one avenue to exploit for your benefit. Here are some helpful resources: Promoting your story, How to get your story promoted by Wattpad?, Building your audience on Wattpad.

I hope this provides some clarity!

2 Likes

They introduced the ranking by tags system in 2018. It hasn’t worked properly ever. They are always fixing it. There have been bigger problems with it more recently.

I guess it’s better than going back to genre tags and getting buried by books that have been on the site since 2012 and have million of reads.

3 Likes

I still think it is strange that the new list is not updated (assuming that there are not over a thousand new updates in the tag every day? Or perhaps they are, I don’t know) according, but I do now understand why they do not show up :wink: I still find it… well, a weird concept, since Ao3, which is also very large, has a ‘new’ function that shows everything in said tag - seems fairer, in my opinion.

But well, as long as it is not broken, that’s the way it is.

At the same time, however, my point remains that I feel that Wattpad support should have explained it rather than sending me copy-paste replies twice, even after I mentioned that I found it rude to have received a copy-paste reply in the first case.

1 Like

We had to redesign the new list as it used to work the same way you mentioned on Ao3, however there were simply too many stories being created/updated that it would constantly cycle them too quickly to be meaningful. The new list is also something we’re hoping to update in the future to better serve new writers, absolutely! That’s not to say the current system is perfect- we definitely see room for improvements and it is something we’re hoping we can better allocate resources to in the future.

As for your ticketing experience, I’m really sorry about that, we’re currently experiencing higher than average ticket volumes and so our team is trying to best we can to get back to everyone as soon as possible. There were a few tagged rankings issues last week so I believe that is where the confusion came from, and why there was that response with the misunderstanding. We’re currently working on addressing the higher ticket volumes better in the future so that we can create a better experience moving forward for everyone who writes in. Thank you for your patience and understanding with this!

4 Likes

Can you add this ^^ to the Tag rankings FAQ? :smiley: Something like this:

• Why can’t I tag in paranormal?

It’s important to note, though, that the ranked tags will only appear if you’re in the top 1000.

A tag like #paranormal has 72k stories that you’re competing against, meaning it’s much, much more difficult to get into the top 1000 (but all the more rewarding when you do!), as you have to be trending higher than 71k other stories.

It’s not meaningful if you’re ranking for example #61,235 in paranormal out of 72k because it’s highly unlikely anyone could scroll through enough pages to get there, which is why it’s not outwardly stated. With 72k stories in one tag (millions if you’re considering a tag like romance), it’s impossible to give every single story the same amount of promotion on one single list. But if someone is specifically looking for enemiestolovers and paranormal, they’re much more likely to find your story!

It’s way much easier to get in the top 1000 for smaller tags such as haunted mansion in which there are 648 stories with this tag, or even for enemiestolovers which has 4k stories in the tags.

Just my two cents here :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! This is a change we’re going to be making in all our communications about this in the future, including this FAQ. We’re just working on the right messaging right now. :blush:

2 Likes

Count me in for any help! It’d be an honour(not to mention that I’d be delighted as well!) to serve the community in any way I can :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you all for the explanation :slight_smile: I certainly hope it will improve in the future, and I hope there will be more space for new authors on the front page.

1 Like