Juddge for your blurbs and covers

original (2)
I’m a journalist for an online magazine and a lot of times I have to re-judge my own writing and the pictures I use to engage the reader. Drop your covers and blurbs (doesn’t have to be both) and I shall rate them out of 10, on:

Covers:

Engaging:
Eye-catching:
Theme:
Color palette:
Font:

Blurbs:

Engaging:
Wording:
Reader friendliness:
Overview:

Both:

Connection between blurb and cover:
Eye-catching:
Engaging:
Overall comments:

Payment:
Leave a vote for this thread. [optional]

CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR CRITIQUES:
If you are interested in helping me critique some covers and blurbs then message me PERSONALLY on my Wattpad account and I’ll test you to see if you are up to standard and you will join me in helping me critique.

Hi, I would like if you could judge both :grin:
Amaze me
Blurb: I believe that no matter how small something is, it can have a significant impact on your life. I used to be scared of the unknown for that reason. But what I never realised is that sometimes change can be positive. Life is unpredictable and a bit terrifying. But you never know what treasures life holds for you. For me, it all started with a video call.

1 Like

Covers:

Engaging: 4/10
Eye-catching: 3/10
Theme: 5/10
Color palette: 5/10
Font: 3/10

Blurbs:

Engaging: 3/10
Wording: 7/10
Reader friendliness: 7/10
Overview: 4/10

Both:

Connection between blurb and cover: 7/10
Eye-catching: 4/10
> Overall comments: Cover is a bit basic without any elements on it that would really catch the eye of a reader except for Tom Hollands. It only has the title and no other elements to it such as author’s name or a subtitle. Blurb is very short and doesn’t give much of an insight to what the book is about or the characters. I personally wouldn’t read it if I came across it BUT the last line of the blurb caught my eye. If you improved the cover and extended the blurb, it’d definitely catch some eyes.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, I’ll try to follow your advices and improve my cover and extend the blurb :smile:

1 Like

Hi!! Hope you can judge both my story :grin::grin:.

Title:My Choice
Genre: romance
Link: https://my.w.tt/X0fkieffm8
Prologue:

Due to an unexpected, and hateful situation that comes in our life. We undeniably develop an obsession. An obsession that changes us to become a person, we aren’t.

"Don’t worry, mom. I’ll make them regret it. "

Promised solemnly by a young boy to a dying tree, where his mom lies.

" I-i’ll be better. I promise you, mom. I’ll be good. Just please, stop hurting me."

Begged by the young boy as he protects his little body from the whipped, in his mother’s hand.

" Why? Why? Why did you cheat me?"

The boy shouted with anger and pain that echoes throughout the bathroom.

" Why? Why can’t you love me?"

The little boy cried in his room, as he watched how HIS mother differently treated his older brother, so gently and lovingly.

But because of their obsession. They found their destined partner.

" Sophia… Sophia… Sophia… Mine. "

Whispered by the boy, who lies in the ground where the papers being scattered everywhere, as he lovingly and longingly touched the face of a girl in the picture, before kissing it.

" Rhena, you’re the one I choose. Please, believe me. I love you, I really do and no other else. "

In a certain place, an expressionless girl was hugged tightly by a boy, whose height slightly lower than the girl, as he desperately and repeatedly said those words again and again.

" I love you Lina so much!! Please, I’m begging you. Please, come back to me. "

A certain drenched boy was kneeling in front of the house, pleadingly and begging for the girl to come out and go back with him.

" You fu***ing can’t get away from me, Alex! You’re mine!"

A certain drunk boy shouted in his room as his eye flashed with madness.

Can they have what they wanted? Or will they lost something due to what they choose?

Follow me, to find what they will choose in the end.

Note: This story was not only focused on the boys but also the girls.!

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-826461257|720x1358

Covers:

Engaging: 2/10
Eye-catching: 1/10
Theme: 5/10
Color palette: 4/10
Font: 2/10

Blurbs:

Engaging: 5/10
Wording: 5/10
Reader friendliness: 3/10
Overview: 4/10

Both:

Connection between blurb and cover: 2/10
Eye-catching: 2/10
> Overall comments: The blurb is just a bit all over the place. I’m confused what’s happening and it’s so long, it seems more like a chapter than just a preview. Cover is a bit child-ish and not really eye-catching. I’d suggest visit a cover shop and have a cover made and clean up your blurb a bit. Make it shorter and to the point. You’ve got a good hook but it is just a bit confusing right now.

1 Like

Imgur
Blurb: Acceptance to the prestigious Westminster Academy only fueled Jackie’s theatrical daydreams. To her, love meant fairytales and happily ever after. Following last year’s accident, Aarav set his focus solely on academics and theater. To him, love was a waste of time. Through the trials of high school and teenage drama, an unlikely connection blossoms between two opposing personalities: the cynical student director and the idealistic aspiring actress, leading to the establishment of an unbreakable bond by the time of the curtain call.

Blurbs:
Engaging: 8/10
Wording: 9/10
Overview: 8/10

Comment: Separate the paragraph of the girl and the boy and it would be laid out better. The connection of how the girl and boy met isn’t stated and the last few lines sort confused me whereas the rest of the blurb was beautifully written and well laid out.

Both please!!

Passion, by definition, is an emotion long ago deemed wild by our burned ancestors. Something boundless, unable to be controlled by all who dare to try.

For decades, glassmith Vincent Stone has poured his existence into work, his unfailing dedication rewarding him with a pristine reputation. His life looks pretty perfect. He has a husband who loves him, and a son he adores. But after his marriage comes unglued Vince throws himself with renewed fire at his profession, earning his art a spot at one of the largest museums in the world. All he has to do is avoid any distractions.

But distraction is one tough thing to avoid-and for Vince, it comes in the form of Gavin Henry, a charming party boy who he just can’t seem to shake. Gavin is friendly, rich… and far too young.

Will Vince’s adventure with Gavin shatter expectations? Or will the whole thing end up Blown?

Thank you! Could you judge the cover as well?

Covers:

Eye-catching: 9/10
Theme: 8/10
Color palette: 8/10
Font: 8/10

Blurbs:

*Engaging:*8/10

Both:

Connection between blurb and cover: 8/10
Eye-catching: 8/10
> Overall comments: The rate for the wording is a little lower than everything else because studies show that using ‘easier’ words that have the same effect actually engages the writer more and brings in a wider audience rather than using big words that scare some people off.
I understand the connection to the title and the last word of the blurb however that last line is a little disappointing. If you make it the last line a little stronger then it would leave a more lasting impression that really captures the reader.

1 Like

hi! i’d love some feedback on both my blurb and cover. (and thank you for doing this!)

Still grieving after her sister’s death, Layla Yilmaz-Lee throws herself into her studies, wanting nothing more than to spend the next three years of university with her head down. To distract herself from her self-destructive thoughts, she takes up a job driving drunk students back to campus after rowdy nights out.

Unfortunately for her, cool and uncomplicated Finnegan Taylor is all too eager to be a regular customer.

thank you!

1 Like

Would love a rating for the blurb, great idea for a thread.

A blackhole is on the verge of collapse, time and space is breaking down, and chaos reins as man from the future James Woods, the black hole’s creator, tells MI6 agent Jennifer Perez that if she does not take his hand when the time comes, all will be lost. But she does not know who she is, whether James is even real, her memories are lost in time and if she does not remember her true self, all will be lost.

1 Like

the cover is cut in half, could you send a picture of the full cover please

Covers:

Engaging: 9/10
Eye-catching: 8/10
Theme: 8/10
Color palette: 9/10
Font: 7/10

Blurbs:

Engaging: 7/10
Wording: 9/10
Reader friendliness: 9/10

Both:

Connection between blurb and cover: 7/10
Eye-catching: 7/10
Overall comments: Love the cover and the blurb however not together; the cover shows a somewhat romantic teen fiction story whereas the blurb has little of that. It tells us very little about the male lead and I would love to know more about him, is he a huge party-goer or someone that has built an interest in the girl? A few more lines to explain the relationship between the girl and the boy would make this blurb very intriguing.

-You are very welcome, thank you for commenting-

1 Like

thank you!

Blurbs:

Engaging: 7/10
Reader friendliness: 6/10
Overview: 7/10

Comments: It starts good and then it sort of spirals with sudden and new introductions of characters and plot twists. If you could edit the blurb and make its layout a little smoother, the wording a little spaced then it would catch a reader’s eye. For example:

A black hole is on the verge of collapsing.
Time and space is breaking down.

James Woods, the creator of the black hole, meets Jennifer Perez- an M16 agent who doesn’t understand her role in this. She’s told if she doesn’t take his hand when the time comes then all will be lost.
Jennifer Perez is missing something crucial, her memories. She has little clue who she is and with her memories lost in time, she questions the reality of James existing.
Unless she can remember her past and find herself again, all will be lost.

If you like this then feel free to use it, I don’t have a problem

1 Like

What are your thoughts?

When Tayla and her brother Kyle find out both their parents are sick in the hospital from a deadly virus, they’re sent away to stay with their estranged grandmother.

It’s there they discover that there is much more than just a farm nestled in the hills of Lemon Cove.

A magical story of hope, love, adventure, and discovery.
Do you believe in fairies?
How about mermaids?
What if you met a magical being that was both?

Hey I would love a little feedback! Thank you tor doing this!

Buccaneer Charlotte Rose captains the lesbian crew of The Salty Bitch with first-mate Elizabeth at her side by day, and in her bunk at night. Charlotte is of the firm opinion that the only thing men are good for is shark bait. Every time her lady-loving pirates raid a ship or town, they free any enslaved women and force the adult male oppressors to walk the plank.

After a night of marauding a brothel and rum house, a half-drowned and fully-crazed man named Jeisuin sneaks onto The Salty Bitch. Taking the newly liberated lass Mary captive, he then tries to set the ship on fire. Captain Charlotte stops him, but due to a brewing storm has no choice but to lock him in the bilge while she navigates the treacherous waves. Soon it seems that all nature conspires against Charlotte as a combination of wind, water, rocks, and fire wreck her ship on an island full of murderous mermaids.

Having worn her share of corsets, Charlotte knows a thing or two about tight spots, but this might be the biggest squeeze she’s ever felt. In order to find a way to set sail again she must gather her surviving crew, defeat the carnivous mermaids, and repair her ship. To get this all done she just might need to learn that not all men are as bad as they seem.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the feedback, great stuff! Really appreciate it!

And thanks for the offer to use it, think I will take you up on that :slight_smile:

1 Like