JUST KEEP WRITING

I created this thread because I was feeling unmotivated for my WIP. But now that I am back on track, I guess I should share my motivation with you guys too. Also, some writing tips that I have found on the net or from other writers here on WP.

So people let’s talk about our work and keep our WIP floating.

Sometimes I’m just not motivated. Sometimes I just force myself to write even though it’s crap when I’m not feeling it. I fix it in editing later. I’m not always inspired when I start writing, but I often find inspiration in the act of writing itself. I sit down at my keyboard and before I know it, I’m enjoying myself.

3 Likes

Thank you. I hope I would be able to follow this advice. Because it has been weeks since I have written something good…or anything at all

1 Like

I hope it works out for you! It sucks hitting a slump like that.

1 Like

Yup. And there are all these ideas in my head for what happens next but I fear they will slip away before I start writing again.

I used to wait for my ‘writer flow’, but that would result in me writing once every three months, making 8k in a day but not doing anything the next few months because ‘I’d lost my writer flow’. Recently I decided to not wait for the right moment anymore, but just write. The motivation will come. If you’ve planned everything, you’re probably really excited to make a story out of it. Have a goal for yourself: either a day you want to have it finished or to write a certain amount of words a day.
Currently, I’m writing 300 words a day, which might not seem like much, but is certainly way better than the 8k-in-three-months-thing. I am motivated every single day because I see my story having progress, the characters developing and I want to see more of that.
Don’t wait for the right moment or the motivation to come to you; YOU have to make it happen.

3 Likes

Nobody seems to have a problem when it comes to dedicating time to school, work, visiting the doctor or whatever. Writing starts with dedicating time to it, reserving an hour per day or a pair of weeknights or whatever fits your agenda.

For me, motivation to write is never the problem. It’s the motivation to do all those other (boring) things like working and washing the dishes and spending time talking and doing nothing with people who have nothing to say and…

1 Like

That’s some amazing advice. Thank you.

1 Like

You are right. If I have decided to write a story, I must commit to it. I am glad that you are always motivated to write.
Thank you.

Something I have found from personal experience, is that I can plan and everything so easily, but when it comes to the writing itself… my writing sounds like I’m still planning, lol. I spent a few months planning out a novel, but once I started writing it, it was bland and I didn’t have as much enthusiasm in it as I did into the planning.

What I’ve discovered is…

• Before you start writing, take 5-10 minutes to just free write. Set a timer. Write as quickly as you can type. Don’t worry about punctuation and grammar. Often it helps me to turn the background and the font both black, so I don’t see the words. Write a scene that comes to mind, or the next scene of your book, or something random… you probably won’t use it. I often don’t use mine. But this helps you get into that writing “zone” and will brush off the day’s rust. Usually by the end of the free write, I’ve come up with ways to go about writing my story and I can dive into the story afterward, pick up where I left off, and churn out a good 800–1,000 words without stopping.

• When you’re at a point where you don’t have any inspiration at all for your story… re-plan it. Often, when I lose interest, it’s because I’ve gotten knew ideas and I think they’re better than the old ones… but it’s hard to suddenly change paths when you have a solid, concrete plan for your book. So what I’ve done to overcome this, is that I plan 4-5 chapters at a time now, versus the whole book. I’ll write a short summary of what the book is about… and write out a few different possible endings… but that’s all of the book planning I’ll do. After that, what I do is I brainstorm every potential scene or plot point that could happen in the next 4-5 chapters based on what the stakes were previously. And then, once I get to writing those 4-5 chapters, I write the most interesting plot points first, and then I go back and tie them all together. Sometimes I don’t use any of the brainstorm. Sometimes I use all of it. But it keeps me going and it keeps my mind and creativity active while writing, which really inspires me to finish the book.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate it a lot.
I relate to it and would surely apply your tips. The idea of writing interesting points first is amazing. I just hope I will be able to bring my whole story together in this way. I am still new to writing :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is something that will take a bit of patience and practice, but it’s quite easy to get the hang of once you do it a few times, at least from my experience. :star2: It’s actually really nice, because you know what will happen exactly how it will happen next, so you can take your time add in foreshadowing as your tie scenes together. It’s quite fun to add in a ton of foreshadowing and little ties and parallels to other parts of the book.

1 Like

:smiley:
I am feeling more optimistic for my writing now… thank you.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that! :blush: I wish you all of the luck with your writing.

1 Like

Thank you :smile:

1 Like

I have a hard time to find motivation to edit, because the story is ‘done’ in my head, I had seen how it ends, but no, here we are, rewriting it, redoing it. I know it is improving it, and making it more like a commercial project, but duh, hard!

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from. I find it easier to write poetry because it is almost always a finished product. But books man are a different story altogether. You have to convert the picture in your head into words. And then editing is painstaking.

But after you have edited, can you feel the satisfaction? It is so exhilarating.

I use to try and complete my work and then edit (many chapters at a time). But now I have my one scene or one chapter rule where I do most of the editing (like grammar and spelling mistakes etc.) alongside. I only leave the plot checking to the last.

This had made things easier for me.

1 Like

I do that as well, producing as polished a first draft as possible. But once I get a bit of feedback, I take the story down and start rewriting it in earnest. Only with other people’s eyes it becomes clearer what is missing.

The book I am working on now also is too short to send to trad publishers, so I am expanding it with that goal in mind. I am also starting to post the edited draft to enter into Watty once it opens up.

Lots of reasons to edit, but none of it is ‘for fun’, lol.

1 Like

Oh god. The first time I put up a short story, so many people corrected me for different things. At times it was irritating. But I think now I am finished with it.

That’s writing for you. It is in some ways like parenting. You have created something. And the happy thing comes with the sad things. It is a whole package. The thrill of letting out your creativity and filling the pages with a story that was never told before, but also the pain of making it grow and cutting out the non- essential parts. You gotta be dramatic as a writer. Feel like an adventurer.

And not every day is sunshine in an adventure. But always in the end, you get to retell your adventure to an audience and that will make you feel amazing.

1 Like