just vibing tings — some specific requests

so my library’s been looking a little dry since I cleaned it out the other day so I might as well fill in some recent cravings. you can recommend me some stuff as long as it covers a few of these bullet points.

preferences:
— third person deep
— present tense, but I don’t mind this as much
— I usually go for young adult, but I’d dabble with NA
— undiscovered works! <10k reads or so

— mainly looking for poc wlw romance
— mlm is fine-ish, enbys are definitely welcome !
— atmospheric? ambiguous? mono no aware? gimme.
— mythology set in the modern world, esp if it’s greek mythology
— retro vaguely 80s 90s with a ‘something weird is going on in this place’
— dark academia (i know they exist, it’s just no one’s tagging them)
— urban fantasy about witches doing very witchy things
— ‘people falling in love with ghosts’ angst

5 Likes

I have a w|w superhero story. The love interest is a PoC, though only mentioned and is in the illustrations. It’s not a major part of the story.Plus a non-binary characer :slight_smile: Lower New Adult, comedy- lots of retro vibes from old comics, not sure if that counts haha.
3rd person, past tense, less than 1K read so far ^^

Red Electron

ezgif-4-c96559949be6(4)

3 Likes

So… My book hits a few of your wants! POC wlw rom-com, third deep, <10k reads. It’s NA. Buuuut it’s not present tense, and it’s contemporary so definitely no worries if it’s not what you’re looking for!

20191009_234051_0000
Beautiful People
Link
Summary - Fashion blogger and perpetual quitter Vera Kwan thinks she’s got it made when narcissistic young actor Carmen Juarez contacts her looking for a style glow-up, but between Carmen’s stubborn ego, an escalating gossip war, and Vera’s inconvenient attraction to Carmen’s prickly, gorgeous manager Sharise, this may not be the easy dream job Vera imagined.

As the chaos of awards campaigning heats up and a scandal threatens to capsize Carmen’s chances, Vera needs to figure out what matters most: making sure Carmen’s red carpet looks are fierce enough to control the narrative, proving to herself that she can see something through even when it seems impossible–or risking it all to show a skeptical Sharise that just like fashion, Vera is more than just pretty clothes.
Status - Ongoing
Genre - Romance, humour, chick-lit

I want to recommend others but I haven’t read enough with your asks! I’ll bookmark for my own reference :wink:

3 Likes

My story hits quite a few of your bullets, though I don’t want to say too much to spoil some of the reveals. But safe to say it’s a wlw NA story with darker themes (some Proust and Rilke mentions, references to Plato if that counts as dark academia as well lol). I’ll post up the blurb and the link in case you’re interested!

Liminali_cover1122_b

https://www.wattpad.com/story/192763028-the-liminali

Forced to surrender her detective badge, Mara Philips, a flippant, whiskey enthusiast, returns to her lakeside hometown to do some soul searching, but is launched into a daunting mystery of her own when she awakens from a blackout and her elderly neighbor’s dog has been brutally killed. Something is amiss in the eerie lake waters and Mara soon finds out that the dog isn’t the only victim.

Fliers for missing teenage girls are posted all over town and a mother desperate for answers, begs the unrefined, rogue detective to take her case. In order to solve the girl’s disappearance, Mara will have to navigate between the deep sea of deception and the safe harbor of loyalty after being thrust into an arcane world of liminal creatures, ultimately leading her on a journey of self-discovery.

1 Like

I think I know a few people just to be clear before I make suggestions what is dark academia?
And for romance we are looking for only LBGTQ correct?

1 Like

thank you everyone so far! i’ll definitely look into these stories!

academia fiction are typically stories that take place in a campus setting and dark academia in particular has elements of murder-mystery. the aesthetic itself includes classical literature and things like tweed jackets. examples; donna tart’s the secret history (which I haven’t gotten around to read) and the 2013 film kill your darlings.

and yes, i’m exclusively looking for lgbt romance!

2 Likes

Oh, My story is dark acamemia then but it doesn’t happen until mid way just a bunch of PLL style secrets and mean teens until stuff blows up.

This one is mine if you’re good with slow burns.

The Dark Side of Silver Linings

Cherrywood is an idyllic town on the surface, but deep down, it’s an ugly mess where rich, bored teenagers play dangerous games. But what happens when a sociopath twists the rules and changes three less-than-innocent lives for the worse, even when the games are over?

Now On to business.

DarlingLies93 has 3 amazing Boy love mystery tales the first two are more popular than you asked for but there is a new WIP with only like 100 reads so far
BoyxBoy great reads

His wicked angel

is also boy loving but under 1k as well as

Flirting with royalty

Collateral Damage

Is Hetero but still a mystery

The bet

is g/g but has some BDSM vibes so… yeah lol

Why so sexy Miss Evans

Bit too taboo for me you know the teacher student thing but still a good Lessy read

The witching Game
is a snow white retelling

Algebra flowers

we got boy love we got interracial relationships (Black and Asian) we got school drama

Unexpected

Bit more popular than asked but girl and girl

My latest paranormal novella, “All Hallow’s Evening” covers a few of the bullet points.
All Hallow's Evening #1

Genre: Paranormal/Ghost, New Adult
Summary: “All Hallow’s Evening” follows the exploits of the Tricksters as they flood the streets of Valley Heights below. A sleepy suburban city surrounded by the annual fog. The tricksters are the spirits of the cemetery’s teenage inhabitants. These spirits emerge from the cemetery on the hill for only one evening a year. How will they spend this evening on All Hallow’s Eve?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/200564943-all-hallow's-evening

newproject_1_original (3)
https://www.wattpad.com/user/Sohlll

I was Adam’s wife, nothing more, nothing less. I was the perfect wife, ever the obedient, always patient. I did everything they told me to do–everything he told me to do, but in the end, none of it mattered.

My name is Eve, and I just got kicked out of Heaven.

20191020_140937_0000

Sixteen years ago, the shadow war took place. The Shadow Queen and her shadows fought against the combined forces of Sorcerers from around the world. The Sorcerers succeeded in banishing the shadows and sealing the Shadow Queen in a wall beneath Blackstone Castle but at a great cost.

Now, the seal on the Shadow Queen is breaking and it needs to be renewed.

Kim Aldrich and fourteen other sorcerers from around the world were summoned to participate in the Midnight trials where the five survivors will cast the spell to renew the seal on the Shadow Queen.

But what secrets are being kept from Kim? What is the true source of Shadow magic? The more secrets are unraveled, the more secrets there seem to be kept. Is Kim strong enough to survive the midnight trial? Because;

In the Midnight Trial, it’s either you win or you die.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/187526920?utm_medium=link&utm_content=share_reading&utm_source=android

Here is a classic romantic fantasy within Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” universe. Middle Earth! We return to Erebor and meet all our favourite dwarves again.

Three dwarrowdams. Three couples eventually.

We get to know three remarkable dwarven ladies. One the king’s sister, princess Dis. The other a skilled stonemason from the Iron Hills. And Alwa. Granddaughter of the great seeress…

Where she is right

WpTitelklein

Completed. Mature content.

Auch verfügbar im deutschen Original.
Wo sie recht hat

Dang it! I don’t have a book yet, but my ONC project will fit what you’re looking for. :joy:

are you a beta reader? some of these books haven’t got their proper start yet.

you can totally come back to this thread later!

note; to everyone else, it’s probably helpful to say which bullet points you have in your stories like the first few posters did.

1 Like

Nope. I read what I like but not much in the business of judging books

It’s not lgbtq, but I’ve got an undiscovered story steeped in Greek Mythology set in the modern world.

This is my latest creation: Inflexible which is inspired by the Three Fates (The Moirai). It’s complete. Hope you stop by and enjoy!

Summary: Inspired by the Three Fates (the Moirai) of Greek Mythology

“Death affects everyone…especially the Inflexible.”

~*~

Four children, beloved by their Mother, descended from the heavens and mingled among humans. Growing fond of them, they pleaded with their Mother to let them stay. She agreed and her daughter grew jealous. Consumed by hatred, she descended from the heavens and vowed to destroy everything her siblings held dear.

~*~

Clarissa North is just a girl from Moonshell looking for answers about her birth parents. But when she goes to the lake house to find said answers, she finds herself seeing ghosts and dead souls. Confused and angry, she returns to the lake house and demands answers from the brothers that live there. And unfortunately for Clarissa, the answers drag her into a dangerous situation. Is she ready to discover who she truly is? And more importantly, who she is destined to become?

~*~

Arrow Mortane is the oldest of the four Mortane brothers. He and his brothers aren’t exactly human and they were sent to Moonshell in hopes of finding their sister and stop her before she causes more chaos in the human world. No such luck. And because of his abilities and the curse placed upon him, Arrow finds himself experiencing a lot of pain. Can anyone ease his pain and break his curse?

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/208938428-inflexible

Rated mature due to sexual content (half a chapter) and themes of violence. I don’t think the violence is that bad, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

1 Like

I have a story that might fit the bill in some ways. It’s not exclusively romance but there are established relationships. It also has elements of religion/mythology/cults in a world where these things are discouraged, which you might find interesting. Finally, it stars a cast of mostly queer non-binary people and women of color and 1 queer man of color (there are no straight people and everyone’s heritage is multi-ethnic/multiracial). While it’s set in a dystopian near future version of London, I hope it doesn’t discourage you! Enjoy!

Title: The Thousand-eyed Crow
Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/207437211-the-thousand-eyed-crow
Mature: yes (blood, gore, sex)
Genre: Horror, Supernatural, Occult, Thriller, LGBTQ, Scifi

In the year 2147, when global warming has devastated the earth and the political economy has moved to a more centralized form of production, and when practicing religion is highly discouraged, twins Caoimhe and Kallias experience visions of what they can only identify as “the Thousand-eyed Crow”. As they delve deeper into the mystery behind this being, they discover just how convoluted and terrifying the world beyond our own can be.

1 Like

Mine is going to take a turn into urban fantasy/mythology, but the supernatural elements will make their first appearance in Chapter 40, which I have drafted but not published yet. I have most of the story drafted, and it will be very long and epic. I write everything in a paper notebook first and then type and edit thoroughly before publishing. I’m releasing a new chapter every 8 days.

Now, on to my usual spiel:

Despite the provocative title and blurb, society is the antagonist in my story. There is some sex, but I keep the details down to what I feel is necessary to progress the plot, gradually increasing the intensity of the scenes as the relationships develop. I share this with you because I consider writing it a form of activism for those whose preferred profession has been not only stigmatized but made illegal in many parts of the world. Many stories present us with the cliché human trafficking victim when in reality, many women want to be prostitutes and we would have far fewer victims if the sex work industry was respected like any other industry.

Description:

When CEO Seto Kaiba propositions Joan, she expects a one-night stand, but he and his brother keep coming back for more. Now the Kaiba brothers want an heir from her and will pay any price to get it. How do Joan’s husband and boyfriend feel about her new profession? More importantly, how do they handle public scrutiny?

Alternate Description:

CEO Seto Kaiba visits his brother Mokuba’s side venture in California and goes on a power trip, threatening to fire Mokuba’s best employees and calling the art director’s girlfriend a whore. Who will win the ultimate battle for control? Join the Kaiba brothers at the Silicon Valley Game Developers Summit to find out!

This story is fanfiction but can be enjoyed without prior knowledge of the fandom. It won first place in the chicklit category of The Sparkle and Shine Awards , first place in the fanfiction category of The Ruby Awards , second place in the drama category of The Frozen Icy Awards , second place in the romance/chicklit category of the I’m Hooked Awards , second place in the humour/chicklit category of The Aurora Awards , third place in the romance category of The Water Awards , second place in the November 2019 Creative Queen Awards , second place for fanfiction in The Mysterious Awards , and third place in The Sunflower Awards for fanfiction as well as best antagonist (society) overall.

Furthermore, it is illustrated by various artists :slight_smile:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/187309205-kaiba's-prostitute

Soooo ~ I have 3rd person, present tense, under 10k (:sob:), young adult (college!), MC is bi, urban fantasy, and a strong ass mc that doesn’t waver from what she believes in.

It is a “werewolf” story, but it is actually about lycanthropy and how lycans live within the community. The story is set in Maryland as she is attending the University of Maryland which is far away from where she is originally from, South Africa. It starts a few days before her 21st birthday and begins with a simple knock on the door at three in the morning…

Title: New Sight
Blurb: Twenty-year-old Katrina Monich is a scholar studying abroad far from her home in South Africa. After an ominous meeting with a male at three in the morning, a strange domino effect seems to fall in place. From her content two years in Maryland to an unknown desolate land only miles away, Katrina feels as though things are not as they seem. And perhaps — she is right.

2 Likes

@left_andwrite1 Secret Super might fit the bill, it is a POC wlw with romance in an atmospheric urban setting with a wonderful mystery plot

2 Likes

Oh boy, I may have something you’ll like! It’s an urban fantasy, mxm crime drama. Third person deep, present tense, and less than 10k reads! Readers have described it as captivating, dark, and haunting. Feel free to check it out if this seems up your alley!

rhapsody

Werewolves are real. Big whoop. If NYPD detective Maverick Carson is being honest, he’s always been more of a cat person. As part of a new expansion project, however, the 11th precinct is getting its first lycanthrope officer - an intimidating presence by the name of Emery Faustine. And, by some cruel twist of fate, Maverick is assigned to be his partner.

The two hotshots are fire and ice. Night and day. Sworn enemies from the moment they meet, until a serial killer begins to ravage the streets of New York City, and Maverick and Emery must force their rivalry aside to stop the gruesome killings at whatever cost.

Meanwhile, Maverick wonders if there’s something more to Emery than just the creature he becomes every full moon. As he contemplates his partner’s humanity, he wonders, too, if there could be something more to their partnership. With the case coming to a head between them, hidden secrets - and feelings - threaten to be revealed. Maverick must decide: is Emery human, or just a wolf parading as one? And, more importantly, can he learn to trust the werewolf, even if it means risking his own life?

RHAPSODY

1 Like