STATUS: Open for new requests. As of New Year have 20 works in the current queue. Requests open, but keep in mind it will take me time to get through the queue.
About Critic: A native English speaker with knowledge of American/British regional differences; mainly an autodidact in Writing who has taken a few Creative Writing courses; published in the (very) small press, avid reader; has been writing for well over one decade; has studied in Fine Arts and Multimedia Design programs. Also wrote one Featured and one Longlist work, if that’s relevant.
Formats/Genres Accepted for Critique: All*
* Service is for Wattpad works that meet all Wattpad Content Guidelines and are appropriately rated; I assert that I am able to read both all-ages and mature-rated works.
Note: Not a line-editing service, but grammar may be mentioned to the extent it affects clarity.
For Fiction: Prose formats receive feedback on story and style elements including but not limited to: apparent plot structure, use and consistency of POV, characters and their development, style, diction, mood, themes. Dramatic formats receive similar story level feedback.
For Poetry: Focus on style, mood, figurative language, apparent symbolism.
For Non-Fiction: Narrative style Non-Fiction will be critiqued similar to prose format Fiction. Other forms of Non-Fiction will be critiqued with a focus on clarity and comprehension. Note: Not a SME or fact-checking service.
Graphic Novels and/or Multimedia: Combination of story level and design feedback.
- Clarification: This particular service is only for works publically accessible on Wattpad. i.e. if the work is still a draft, on your computer, on Google Docs, or any other private or non-Wattpad space, this particular service is not for that work.
- Feedback/Critique will be delivered via Wattpad comment (in-line and/or by chapter) on the work by default and may be delivered by PM upon request.
- I may decide to deliver feedback privately via PM, even if not requested, if I feel there’s just something generally sensitive; this may or may not be followed by public comments on the work.
- I critique as I have time between my own writing and other reading responsibilities.
- As many as two chapter/parts read per request, not including frontmatter or appendices. (If half-chapters or chapter parts are in use, I may or may not choose to read these as “one” depending on length and content.)
- If one of the first parts is a short prologue or parts are very short in general, I made choose to read more than the default 2 parts (examples: a prologue plus two other chapters, or three chapters of a work with brief vignettes or journal-style entries). Reading more parts is at my discretion and the default amount per request per is still two (2) parts/chapters.
- You may request again with additional parts/chapters to go back into the queue
- Per Community rules, I do have the right to refuse requests without giving a reason
- I will use a tag like #critiques on public comments so other Wattpadders can identify comments as solicited feedback.
Payment: You, the client requesting critique, after receiving the critique, return to this thread and leave a comment about how helpful or not the provided feedback was and whether the terms and service offered were/are what you would like in a critiquing service. Please, include any suggestions for improved service.