Keywords in a summary that make you read or run?

What key words in a summary makes you want to read a fantasy novel and what kinds of things make you run away? Here’s mine:

Read: witch, spirits, ghost, haunted, gore, demons, serial killer, monsters, cryptids

Run: romance, love, hope, vampire, werewolf, teen (these tags are actually blocked in my community settings)

I’d pretty much agree with your run, I use hope as a theme in my stories but all that romance stuff no thanks

Not that I think those things are terrible all the time, it’s just that when they’re done, they’re usually terrible, ridiculous and infuriating.

Like Digimon and Pokemon, the power of friendship my ass. All my friends moved away and we never talk or they found better things to do.

It’s just that I’m running into overly romantic stories that I’m not particularly expecting to see even though I’m discovering something broad like “fantasy”, and to me romance in general is debatable because if it’s the main thing, I don’t want to read it, and if it’s the subplot, it’s really hard to like get it right to the point it’s not over/underwhelming. Werewolves is pretty much a hot mess and a lot of kinky “my mates” stories so I’m not even sort how to start sorting through it. I just pretty much back away from a story if I feel like it sounds too romance-y even if it sounds mean.

But as for like reads then I’d like “high fantasy”. Epic battles, mages, uh, pretty stereotype stuff but eh but I particularly like character growth… it’s not really key words but I prefer blurbs where they don’t necessarily focus on the character since they might be a worldbuilding kind of writer and those are always interesting

̶W̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶m̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶p̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶m̶m̶a̶r̶y̶.̶

Basically, I totally understand why people would want to avoid that.

Also I can’t write romance without cringing about myself for not doing it justice so

read: just about anything, I’m not picky

run: fanfiction. Naw fam. Nah.

Right? That stuff is the worst. W̶r̶o̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶F̶a̶n̶f̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶W̶a̶t̶t̶p̶a̶d̶.̶

I ain’t judgin, everybody starts somewhere. I’m just looking for new IPs.

What’s an IP?

intellectual property(s)

Oh yes. Whether I like a story or not, I respect the amount of effort it takes for a writer to create their own world.

I like some romance subplots. But heck, most of the stories I read around, the romance subplot gets overtaken by the actual plot and you wonder where they get back to their actual problem. I like some romance if they just there for character development, really.

That tag is more like a “shuffle away.” The romance tag is just so cliche with most of the male leads and the female leads. It makes me wonder if my own love life is flawed.

Read: Fantasy, Historical, War, Political, Witch, Sorcery, etc.

Run: Teen, fanfics, badboy, billionare, badgirl, etc.

Read: fantasy, dragons, kings/queens, political intrigue, revenge, serial killers, unique magic, lgbt+, smart characters, GOOD WRITING, reptiles, villain-centric stories

Run: virtual reality, romance (if it’s the ONLY focus), werewolves (seriously, WHY are there so MANY of those on WP??), contemporary settings/themes (not my thing), any story where a woman dies so her husband/bf/whatever can be a weepy/vengeful jerk, fairy tale princess retellings, “chosen one” trope, bad boy romances (WHY ARE THESE A THING?!), glorified abusive relationships, “she’s different from other girls”

I could probably rant on all day in the “run” category.

Wow, we seem to have very similar taste!

I should tag my book with GOOD WRITING.

lmaooo!!

To this day I read more fanfiction than original work, but most fic on WP is 1D or other “real people shipping fics” and I ain’t about that. It’s hard to find original work that’s appealing nowadays for me. I read an absurd amount of stuff as a teen and now I nitpick too much. Fanfiction is much quicker to hook me (for obvious reasons).

Duuude! :smiley: I was reading through your read and I love them too!

I’ve been wondering about that too.

I actually have this trope in my ongoing novel, but he’s not the only “chosen one” because the villain is also a “chosen one” :stuck_out_tongue:

Ooh! I call them Tschmoks in my book, but they are still just dragons named differently, haha!

Crumbling kingdoms, political marriages… you name it!

We surely have the same stuff, indeed!

It really seems so! What’s your WP username? I’ll go find your stuff!! Also, I’m for any of the things I listed in my “run” category if the writer can put a twist on it somehow. :wink: