KR's Bootcamp for Unruly Beginners (A Writing 101 Chuck Taylors' Spin-off Thread)

bootcamp 1

Publication Day is only a few days away and the recruits of Bootcamp 2020 are salty. They are ready to eat their own word processors and ask for seconds. The mentors are proud to see that we are growing beyond their control. The Writers do not want drafts. The Writers want manuscripts. The Writers want to build indestructible authors, authors without fear.

Welcome to KR’s Bootcamp for Unruly Beginners, a Writing 101 thread unlike any other.

bootcamp 2

This thread is an off-shoot to the popular Chuck Taylor’s Writing Networking Thread. The idea behind it is to cover a few of the topics that we cover in Chuck’s, only more in-depth, at a slower pace for people to keep up, and with more of a focus on beginning writers or writers who are looking to develop their craft. No matter where you are in your writing journey, you are welcome here, but the topics are going to be kept as simplistic as possible in order to benefit those who are just starting out on their novelist journeys.

Every so often, a new topic will be posted. Each time a new topic is posted, there’ll be a brief summary of what it is and why it’s important, some different theories of how to tackle the idea, some discussion questions and a writing exercise to take part in! It will have much more of a ‘virtual classroom’ vibe than Chuck’s does.

All topics will be linked from #3 on the thread so that you can see what has previously be done. You’re more than welcome to post old activities and respond to things out of sequence! In fact - that’s the point!

bootcamp 4 (1)

When you hop into the thread, it’s always nice to introduce yourself so people know who you are! Please use the following form to introduce yourself:

1. Name/Nickname:
  2. Preferred Pronouns:
  3. Genres You Write:
  4. Where you plan to take your writing journey: (Wattpad Stars/Paid? Online serialisation? Self-publishing? Traditional Publishing? Just for fun?)
  5. Would you like to be added to the tag list?

bootcamp 3

There are a few rules that apply to this thread, most of which are just reminders of rules that are in place for the Improve Your Writing subforum in general but sometimes even the most seasoned of us need reminders!

1. Keep to the topic! If there’s too much general chatter we’ll be moved to the cafe.
  2. You can post excerpts of your work as part of responses to the writing exercises but this is not a place for feedback. You are better going to #story-services if you want to get feedback specifically on your writing.
  3. Be excellent to each other! Collaboration, not competition, is what makes authors strong.
  4. This is an inclusive space with writers from all backgrounds. We ask that all those who participate be mindful of the experiences of maginalised authors who participate in how they word their responses.

bootcamp 5

Our Parent Thread: The Chuck Taylors (A Writer Networking Space)

bootcamp 6

Recruits

@KR_Williams @saintc @Loutka @sarakbeeksma @SmokeAndOranges @LuliWrites @ProjectPr1de @star-trails @LaredoDixon @Van_Carley @AriaSnyder @rosemaryandrue @CeeMTaylor @solorzanowriter @kadauhara99 @indigosa @prosenpoetry @olivest @lst-my-shp-sil @houseofmirrors @Spruce_Goose @NadiiaKim @DahliasDesk @Nablai @staymelanated

Please indicate if you’d like to be added to it!

16 Likes

bootcamp 7

Current Topic: Settings

Click to Reveal Previous Topics
Click to Reveal Future Topics
  • Show not Tell (and when to tell)
  • How to punctuate dialogue
  • How to structure a paragraph
  • Where to break a chapter
  • Character Creation
  • Setting Creation
  • How to deal with Writer’s Block
  • What makes a scene
  • Finishing Things - How to Write an Ending
  • Openings
  • How to Deelop an Idea from Concept to Page
  • How to Outline
  • How to write a synposis
  • How and Where to Ask for Feedback
  • How to Give Feedback
  • How to make a basic social media campaign
  • The Muddling Middle
  • Good dialogue
  • Cliffhangers
  • Character Arcs
  • Pacing
  • Word Counts
  • Plotting, Pantsing and Plantsing
  • Covers
  • Basic Editing Techniques

Feel free to request new topics and we’ll adjust these as we go. They’re not in any kind of order as of yet.

16 Likes

bootcamp 8

ONC begins 1st February! Special ONC themed activities will begin on this date and I’ll be hosting ONC write-ins on the weekends throughout the period!

13 Likes

3 Act Structure (1)

Pre-Drawn Rollercoaster

Taken from: https://studylib.net/doc/5404099/plot-rollercoaster-notes---riverdale-middle-school

bootcamp 9

1. What do you think is the purpose of the three act structure?
  2. Why do you think this structure is the most popular amongst storytellers across the world?
  3. What issues do you think sticking rigidly to a three act structure could cause?
  4. What novels can you think of that use a simple three act structure?
  5. What novels can you think of that break the rules of the three act structure?

bootcamp 10

Links

https://blog.reedsy.com/three-act-structure/

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/three-act-structure/

12 Likes

Hi my name is Latavia but I go by Tavia for short.

She/Her

Romance, Teen fiction, and New Adult.

Right now Im just writing for fun to get the hang of it. I’d love to be apart of the wattpad stars and paid stories in the future, it just seems like such a great opportunity. Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to have one of my books published.

4 Likes

And I was wondering about the thread people keep mentioning … Turns out it existed on the forums

3 Likes
  1. Name/Nickname: Alexis
  2. Preferred Pronouns: she/her
  3. Genres You Write: fantasy, Sci-fi or whatever I feel like
  4. Where you plan to take your writing journey: (Wattpad Stars/Paid? Online serialisation? Self-publishing? Traditional Publishing? Just for fun?) hopefully trad publishing, but I’ve got a lot of stuff to learn before then
4 Likes

name/nickname: jolyne, but you can call me jo or star if you’d like !

preferred pronouns: she/her or they/them. i’m still trying to figure it out

genres that i write: adventure / action, currently trying my hand at some romance

as of now, i’d love to just be able to keep my reader base and enjoy the comments on my stories. someday, i’d love to be a part of the wattpad stars or possible future monetization programs, but i definitely need to get a lot better until then :sweat_smile: i hope we all get to improve together ! :two_hearts:

3 Likes

nice to meet all of you ! i love talking, too, so hopefully we can be friends :eyes:

i swear i’m not lonely

2 Likes

Welcome Tavia! It’s exciting when you first get started to just write where the mood takes you, and I think that’s definitely one of the best parts of the writing journey! Happy to have you here!

'Sup. We’re here haha. Although the OG Chuck’s is still continuing (with it’s more advanced technique stuff) and this one will hopefully compensate by having some more intensive, but beginners level stuff! Anyhow, welcome Dreams!

It’s still good to have a goal in mind to set out for! Welcome Alexis!

The comments are honestly what keep writers going. Enjoy the engagement with your fans and use this bootcamp to start to push towards trad! Welcome Jo!

Hi @star-trails! We have an introduction form at the top if you’d like to fill that out then people will know more about you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jo filled the form… :joy: you replied to her and then to her after message that asking her to fill it

2 Likes

YIKES. I’m so sorry @star-trails - I wasn’t paying attention. I’ll see myself out of my own thread.

3 Likes

Noooooo! I just got confused as I tried to figure what was the difference in the two before I realized it was the same person just a mix up >.<

3 Likes

no !! don’t do that lmao it’s totally okay :two_hearts: i phrased it kinda weird, too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

LOL We’re all going to get along really well, I’m sure… Until I start setting these writing exercises and y’all start hating me hahaha

3 Likes

shhh nah writing exercises are GREAT :smile:

2 Likes
  1. Name/Nickname: Elizabeth
  2. Preferred Pronouns: She / Her
  3. Genres You Write: Genre Hopper Extraordinaire, always with a romance plot.
  4. Where you plan to take your writing journey? Hopefully somewhere that makes me money eventually, but I’m not to worried about the particulars just yet - still working on the writing and marketing parts.

Hi everyone and nice to meet you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Writing excersize make writers hate each other? I thought that’s how writers grow closer to each other and in their writing career as well o.o

2 Likes

Time to see how many high-intensity threads I can manage this semester. Coming here with full intention of applying the discussion to ONC :slight_smile:

• Name/Nickname: Smoke
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
  • Genres You Write: High/Epic/Dark Fantasy, intending to explore Sci-Fi in the near future
  • Where you plan to take your writing journey: Stars first, hopefully Paid one day when I have a book worth submitting. Writing will always be a hobby for me, but monetizing that would be stellar and improvement is much desired
6 Likes