Lack of readers and feedback

I have been a member of Wattpad since 2014. I have never really been able to get reads on my stories or followers even after becoming more involved in the Wattpad community and updating more frequently on my writings. What are some good tips to gain more readers and feedback on my works?

Sorry if this is not the place to post this. I was unsure where to post it at. Thank you!

1 Like

hmmm. i’m probably not the ideal person to give advice, but i got some reads by tagging a lot of things, talking to people on the forums a lot, etc. i know my advice is shitty but :woman_shrugging: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Any advice is helpful. How do you mean tagging a lot of things? Like your stories or discussions within the community?

1 Like

stories. like if you’re writing horror, you can maybe put a tag called gory, or terror or just random words that have something to do with the general overview of your book. in a few days you should get a ranking on your tag which personally helps with my self esteem

2 Likes
2 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up:

The thread that LigerCat has posted above is super helpful and gives a lot of great ways to help get your story out there and find your audience. While it is not guaranteed to have you rising to the top, the information it can give and the readers it can help you to find is still great xD I wish you all the best finding your audience!

1 Like

The 500 word weekend-write-in prompt for Sep 27 2019 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

1 Like

I posted the link, above, because our weekend short story write-in is guaranteed to get you some readers. We normally get around 9 to15 entries a week, with quite a few readers. Also, on the thread where we discuss the write-in, you can get to know some other wattPaders and bounce ideas off of them. We’re a very friendly bunch.

1 Like

From what I see you can be one of 2 things, super active and positive to everybody you meet within the community, or really agitate people and give them your true point of view on how you perceive their thoughts. I find that provoking actually gives you more attention with less time spent on the community and also I feel more truer to myself instead of being hyper agreeable just to get the likes and views.

What I hate seeing is super duper friendly people. I feel most is disingenuous and only trying to satisfy their own goals of getting popular on Wattpad.

It is true that the community is a good way to get views, but if you are just like everybody else then you just become wallpaper.

1 Like

The 500 word weekend-write-in prompt for Oct 04 2019 is now available:

This might help: How to get more readers: Flash Fiction anthology with links to your writing

The 500 word weekend-write-in prompt for Oct 18 2019 is now available:

Max, we had the same problem with getting our thread shut down for having story links. But they gave us the option to move to story services/writing groups (we have a thread there: The 500 Word Weekend Write-In Discussion Thread ) where there are no such rules. You can post links to your own and other stories with no moderators in sight. If it were me, I would ask them to move your thread to the new location (it’s painless and transparent; the whole thread stays intact as it is here. It worked great for us). I still use the genre/short story link to announce the challenge of the week, but then we all discuss it on the story services/writing groups thread.

I appreciate the tip but seriously, if Wattpad wants to piss all over my enthusiasm, so be it. I’ve got plenty of other things to do with my time. They should have come into that thread asking what they can do to help instead of throwing roadblocks in the way.

Totally agree. They handled it extremely poorly. In our case they gave us plenty of warning, and offered options.

1 Like

There are lots of ways to lead a horse to water, not so many to make the horse drink. I doubt the problem is any different in the short story area than in any other.venue. This is a very, very common question that is brought up on Wattpad a bazzillion times a month. People here are not buying advertising space with their allowance or lunch money. Most are amateur, young scribblers looking to post, not so much to read the work of other amateurs. You can use friends and family, and twitter friends, to pile up reads, or otherwise, offer to trade critique with other writers.