Legacy Book One

Hi my name is Tamara, I hope this thread is posted in the Pitch Workshop I’m still getting used to being on this forum.
Summary: Joseph Jackson wants his boys pursue their dreams of becoming the world’s greatest entertainers. He signs them up for talent shows every week hoping o get discovered. After an argument between Joseph and his father, Joseph sets out to prove his father wrong. He signs them up for their first major talent show at the Lyric Theatre in Lexington, Kentucky. Although they do not win the show they gain experience and a friend who helps the group hone and polish their god-given talent. Joseph after the loss becomes obsessed with the boys making it and roving his father wrong, that he loses sight of what is most important: being a father. After a horrific tragedy involving his eldest daughter and her friend Joseph steps back and asks himself if he wants the boys to make it because the boys want it or if he is living out his dreams through his sons? The Jackson Five legacy is nearly untouchable and it begins in the year 1965.
Audience: Michael Jackson fandom, 16+
Genre: Mainly fan fiction, some historical fiction, coming of age
Length: between 60k-100k
Plot line and Arcs: The major plot line is for the Jackson Five to get out of the small local talent shows in Gary, Indiana and to larger venues along the Chitlin Circuit.
Book One begins Joseph Jackson and Katherine Jackson’s character arcs.
Unique things: Although this series is based off of real people and their lives a lot of what happened in reality is very different from what happens in the series. Despite this difference all scenarios are realistic. Unlike most Michael Jackson fan fics, this series does not demonize everyone in the family excluding Michael and Janet. This series is going to humanize all characters because at the end of the day nobody is perfect.
Side note: I wasn’t sure if should have done the series synopsis or each individual book. Whoever reads this please let me know if I am supposed to do an individual book pitch or a series pitch.

Heyo!

This is unfortunately not a pitch but is rather your short blurb for your story or back cover copy. The pitch has to include the beginning, middle, and end, and shouldn’t end with questions about what happens next.

If you update it to include the full storyline, let me know and I can review then

2 Likes

Joseph Jackson signs the group up for a talent show at the Lyric Theatre in Lexington, Kentucky. The Lyric Theatre is the first major venue the boys will perform at, and it is their chance to get discovered by talent scouts and music company moguls. Michael, the youngest member of the Jackson Five, befriends the only other competitor his age Zipporah “Tweety” Landry. The two acts battles week after week for first place, and on the final performance the Jackson Five loses to Tweety and they lose the opportunity to open for the headlining acts at the Lyric Theatre.
Joseph disappointed and feeling like his father was right, decides to give the boys a short break while he determines if he should continue the group. Jackie, the eldest, decides to take control of the group, and with the help of letters shared between Michael and Zipporah, the group improves day after day with harmony, breath control, and arrangement.
While her older brothers work hard at small clubs and bars throughout the city, big sister Rebbie Jackson has problems of her own. She and her disfellowshipped friend, Tawana work after school at an ice cream parlor in downtown Gary, located next to a bar that lawyers and police frequent. A drunk officer, McCollough often harasses the girls whenever he seems them, making lewd comments. In the late summer, he makes move on Tawana that ends up getting him placed on desk duty and investigated by Internal Affairs. As the city heats up in the summer so do the racial tensions and the two teenage girls find themselves caught within it.
Katherine notices the changes with her husband and wants him to make a decision, should he continue to group and remain their manager, should he continue the group and find another manager, or should he stop everything and return to the man she married. A kind, loving, and gentle husband and father. After one night at the many sleazy bars, a young manager by the name of Andrew Young offers to manage the Jackson Five. Seeing it as a sign from God Joseph agrees and by the winter of 1965, the Jackson Five are moving up along the circuit to places like the Peppermint Lounge and Fox Theatre.
End: The Jackson Family experience a blissful winter and early spring with the newest member Janet Jackson arriving in May, and the boys recording with an amateur Gary producer, Keith Gordon. But good things don’t last forever and on May 27th just one day before her birthday, Rebbie and Tawana are shot by Officer McCollough. Tawana dies in surgery and Rebbie survives, but she will likely be blind for the rest of her life. For the remainder of the year 1966, the Jackson Family learn to adapt to the new changes with Rebbie being involved in the trial of the century. The year ends with Officer McCollough is indicted on first-degree murder and attempted murder on Christmas Eve.

Side-plots: Joseph’s internal struggle with the group He often questions his decisions. Part of it is because a small part of his believes he is living through his boys.
Sideplot B is Rebbie. The final third of the book is split between Rebbie and the group. Rebbie’s sideplot sets the stage for the chaotic book 1967 that mainly focuses on her trial and the aftermath.

Audience: Michael Jackson fandom, 16+

Genre: Mainly fan fiction, some historical fiction, coming of age

Length: between 60k-100k

Plot line and Arcs: The major plot line is for the Jackson Five to get out of the small local talent shows in Gary, Indiana and to larger venues along the Chitlin Circuit.
Book One begins Joseph Jackson and Katherine Jackson’s character arcs.

Unique things: Although this series is based off of real people and their lives a lot of what happened in reality is very different from what happens in the series. Despite this difference all scenarios are realistic. Unlike most Michael Jackson fan fics, this series does not demonize everyone in the family excluding Michael and Janet. This series is going to humanize all characters because at the end of the day nobody is perfect.

Special notes: The Chitlin Circuit is such a big deal because it is how black artists in the 1st half of the 20th century were able to promote their music. Artists like The Jackson Five, Prince, and Stevie Wonder developed their talent on the Chitlin Circuit. Many times the Chitlin Circuit served as an opportunity for the amateur hour performers to get signed or discovered by recording companies.
Dis-fellowship is a term used for Jehovah’s Witnesses who have left the religion. This also plays out heavily in the next book in the series in regards to Katherine’s struggles with what she thinks is right for her family.

I know less than nothing about the Jackson Five so I can’t really comment on that, and fanfiction often plays by its own rules. This story doesn’t seem to particularly go anywhere, just kind of a string of different smaller events, a sort of slice of life type narrative. If that’s true and I’m right on the read, that’s fine, someone who is interested in the Jackson Five I’m sure would be interested in seeing them go through these sorts of ups and downs.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like