Let's Be Absolutely Blunt

I always see people tiptoeing around things on here and on Wattpad so I’m just gonna say a few things and I wanna know how you feel about.

1. Excusing Racism or someone’s racist past isn’t some complicated ideological warfare with a person’s mind, it’s disgusting- inexcusable and it’s time people stop making it some complicated equation. If a person says or continuously hates or does something that shows they have no regard/ respect for another person’s race then they’re racist.

2. Using slurs for a race that isn’t yours in a book isn’t and will never be okay, especially when in contributes nothing to the story.

3. Writers should be allowed to write their political views however they want into their own stories.

4. RE-UNDERAGE RELATIONSHIPS- this is too brushed over in Wattpad, too many disgusting stories about older men and young girls.

5. Discussions on topics turn into arguments real fast and I don’t like it. We’re all somewhat mature people I hope- so this shouldn’t be happening. A lot of people have to learn to accept that not everyone is going to agree with them.

YESSSSS to all of this!

4 Likes

Now to the next topic: Sherry’s birthday party…

2 Likes

???hm is this one of those topic jokes I don’t understand

To be candid: this 100% is not true. If you’ve ever spoken with someone who is racist, and have a LONG conversation with them, their ideologies are INGRAINED in them. They’re indoctrinated in it since birth and I don’t know about you, but when you believe something to be so true, it’s hard to let go. There has to be a PERSONAL notion of doubt in order to lead someone to question their beliefs. The only thing is that projecting racism is not EXCUSABLE since you have all the resources at your fingertips to understand biases and statistics and where these preconceived notions. It is complicated, and by saying that it’s not, almost marginalizes all the efforts we’ve put forth. Getting someone to realize that they are actually a shitty person isn’t easy.

Also, there are simple equations in life that are so multi-faceted. If you look at the equation for diffusion in math, you learn that this SIMPLE equation can be expanded. Same can be said about the momentum equation. This is just mathematical proof, but it really applies.

I 100% agree with this.

No one I feel disagrees with this. I just think people feel like they have the right to do this and not deal with the reprucssions from those who don’t agree.

The ones I’ve seen on Wattpad hit the age of consent, but yes, it can be disturbing. However, have you ever looked at it from a cultural perspective? My mom got married at 18 and my dad was nearly 30. My friends mom got married at 20, her dad was 45. We’re Middle Eastern and this is seen as normal and not at all “disgusting”. In Western culture, it’s seen as gross and disgusting, but that’s because of the culture. I personally don’t like it, but that doesn’t mean I’ll ever look down at someone who does it

There’s a fine line between an argument and a discussion (an exchange of opposing ideas). You can’t interpret tone well online unless it’s done with memes or very blatantly sarcastic remarks.

Anyways, I hope I didn’t sound too rude. I only assumed if you’re sharing your views publically, you wouldn’t mind a response.

9 Likes

Eh, tried to lightened to lighten the mood here.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to disagree with you. Young people who have been sheltered from technology in racist home I can understand the pain of being raised that way since birth. But those who are not sheltered and post themselves on snapchat and instagram doing racist things are inexcusable

1 Like

You’d be shocked at the amount of people I’ve seen attack authors for being “pro-choice”

I think a lot of people also see things one way which can cause the problem of arguments igniting. They hear what they want to hear.

Never! this is a discussion, I want to hear what people think

2 Likes

Okay let’s take that girl that got completely destroyed online for posting something racist. When I stalked her profile, I realized she was outing out a lot of other children around her who behaved the same way. What does this say? It says that she surrounds herself with racist people, people like her, and not those that aren’t racist, thus she thinks it’s okay. They’re also children, so comprehending consequences and wrapping their head around why they can’t say a word that another person might be saying is difficult. Not only that but if you look at how the family treats those of color, etc. it’s obvious why they might be racist. Racist people don’t follow people who aren’t racist. There was this tweet during the huge BLM wave for George Floyd that sums this up perfect:
All the tweets being made to support BLM, to shed light, DOES NOT reach those it should reach. That’s why we had to use the tactic of infiltrating white-tags (like white out Wednesday).

They CHOOSE what they consume on social media (YouTube, Instagram, SC, Twitter). People look for those that are similar to them. I once learned that one of my friends (who’s also an engineer) didn’t know who AOC was. They BARELY knew about Bernie’s campaign. Another told me that there were only 3 countries in the Middle East.

But I do understand what you’re saying. I guess my experiences have shaped a totally different perspective on this.

That’s simply because you’ve presented an opinion they don’t agree with. That’s normal. You should expect that reaction since not everyone will agree with you being pro-life. Hell, I’m pro-life and my closest friends aren’t and I have to deal with the fact that they won’t join in my cause, and I just have to keep trying and respect their decision since they are their own person and no matter how much it disappoints me and hurts me, that’s life. If it gets to the point where their views literally are too much to handle, are causing me harm, I’ll distance myself. I’ve done that with a few of my friends that voted for Trump and truly believe in some of his sicken ideologies.

I agree with this whole hearedly. I saw this yesterday haha

I’m glad :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think again I’m gonna have to disagree with you on this, for me it was impossible to see anything other than the George Floyd uprising when I’m not much of a social media political person. But everywhere I went I heard it, on the tv, on the radio, on twitter even on nickelodeon I saw while babysitting my nieces.

Also if you don’t mind me asking; are you pro-life for your self or everyone?

2 Likes

PLEASE

I totally see where you’re coming from, and it certainly feels like a lot of things should be a no-brainer, especially when it comes to human rights and compassion. But unfortunately, a lot of topics fall on a spectrum, and it can be really divisive to see the world in black and white. It also severs the potential for healthy conversation and growth.

I’m not excusing racism or pedophilia at all, and I think we shouldn’t tolerate the amount of problematic content that makes its way onto this platform. But I also think people come from small bubbles of privilege and similar mindsets, and it can take a lot of work to help them see the world from a new perspective.

(That being said, I do think people have to be willing to listen and reevaluate their stances. If you’re talking to someone who says they’ll never stop doing or believing x,y,z and no evidence or anecdote will ever change their mind, there’s no point in exhausting yourself).

5 Likes

That’s because you FOLLOWED content that showed what happened with George Floyd and was against his murder. It’s not a joke when they say that convseratives ONLY watch Fox News. I once got into my boss’s car and his radio was on and the fist words I heard were “those fu-- ugly ass monkey men keep on–” and then he shut it off so completely because he realized how wrong it is. But I had friends, and even some content creators going “oh what happened was sad but #AllLivesMatter” and then them posting comments from people saying stuff like “oh yeah these BLM people are so violent they’re going too far blah blah blah”. I mean, look at how the media warped the protests. They didn’t even make it about the protests, just the riots. But I digress.

I’m pro-life for everyone. I personally don’t think I’d ever get an abortion myself (thankfully, I’ve never been in a situation where I’ve had to make that decision) but I want people to have a safe option for it. However, if someone is against it (mostly because of religious), I’ll respect that and ask them not to interfere with my life. It gets hard when the government attempts to intervene with their legislation. Thats when I get super angry and when I see my friends campaigning for this, I’ll talk to them and ask them to not harm others. If safe options aren’t available, people will try and do it in a way that not only harms the fetus, but themselves and that is unacceptable.

4 Likes

i’m going to have to agree with you on this one. some people actually get sold–oh my gosh :pleading_face:
poverty is such a sad thing

1 Like

Oh, uh, my father didn’t purchase my mother. It was consensual marriage but it’s just the culture. Typically when someone is sold, they’re under the age of 16 (maximum age of 18) since they want to groom the child/person to behave in the way the buyer wants them to behave. That’s disgusting and breaks my heart.

5 Likes

I agree.

My statement was more to the fact of labeling someone as a racist? Should I reword it? Genuine question.

Like eg, Shane Dawson- he’s a racist man but a lot of people go through obstacles trying to defend him, when he’s done blackface and made a million racist joke.

I think its simple- he’s racist

1 Like

yes my grandmother married my grandfather at 16 and he was about twenty years older

1 Like

Oh, this 100% is true. Oh God that’s what you were trying to say. I’m so sorry I didn’t get that. But yeah, I hate people that do that shit. Like Jeffree Star, the King of Racism, ESCAPES being called a racist and it’s MIND boggling

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I personally think it’s my fault, I worded that a bit wrong