Let's build ourselves a Short Story community!

writing
discussion

I try an write consistently, but it’s on different things. In a similar vein to @DomiSotto and @sarakbeeksma it’s usually a big project as my base, and short stories as extras (though I foresee that dynamic flipping soon)

This is very specific, but the month before the two exam seasons (December and March) are busiest for me, because I still have to be in 9-5 classes, but as an engineering student I usually have a lot of project to complete. No matter how prepared you are we end up working every weekend and evening. So…unsuprisingly, no writing. By the time the exam period comes all those projects are handed in and we no longer have class, so I have all day to study, leaving all evening to write. I actually I don’t think I work best during holidays, at least, not on days where I’m completely free. I work best when I’ve some kind of routine, or list of things to do. I find it easier to slot it in amongst other things than I do to make the most of a totally free day.

I am not doing Nano this year, partly because I don’t have the time, and partly because I did Camp Nano in 2016 with a goal of 30k, worked as hard as I could, still didn’t make it, burned out from writing every day, and the stuff I’d written was terrible and needed a lot of editing. I don’t think it’s worth it for me. However, I do understand that a lot of people really like just getting it all done and then editing later.

Good luck to anyone doing Nano!

I’m open for you to vent to, and to try and help if you get stuck.

Not too far off. You have to aim for more than that just in case you take some days off.

I’ll leave it for other people, thank you.

So far, so good. Plot flowchart and scenes done. Locations mapped. I just have to describe them, the NPCs and put in some setting notes and I’m done. Well, a good enough standard for me to run the adventure at some point.

Me too!

The 500 word weekend write-in prompt for Oct 26 2018 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

I write flash and micro fiction throughout the year but for longer projects I tend to write in bursts, and I’m more productive in winter. Cold weather and long dark nights seem to appeal to my muse.

Because of that I do join NaNo every year, even though I never hit the word target. Most days my word count doesn’t go over 500 words, which is probably why I’ve done more flash fiction that anything else. :slight_smile:

I feel like I missed some prompts, I can’t get any writing done when family get togethers get in the way. And this one aunt, good god does she make the effort to as long as possible at all hours.

I agree with the first half, many times yes. The second, if I can get anything do … that’s anyone’s guess.

Agree with that. I tend to try and make the writing fit into my breaks at work, and there is only so much you can do longhand in a notebook.

Interesting to hear!

Most days I’m the same. I found when I did Camp Nano a few years ago that I tend to naturally want to stop around 500-600 words. It’s only on really inspired days that I go above that, though, admittedly, if it’s one of those I’ll go as high as 2k. There’s never really an in-between.

Welcome to the thread, btw. Would you like to be tagged in future?

Weekly Check-in 10

How has your writing gone this week?

How was the first week of NaNo (for anyone doing it)? On track?

@LaughandJoy @makingmywaves @music_ally @sarakbeeksma @cdcraftee @johnnedwill @StellaAddison @SylviaWolfe @ThomasWalborn @_beebbab @messyfirstdraft @Marigold91 @Medula-Oblongata @astrxphoria @KateAnnee @LadyofthePond

I did decide to do NaNo after all, and I have written an hour everyday since it started, so yes, I am on track! My goal is to write an hour a day instead of trying to reach a certain word count.

That sounds a lot more reasonable to me. I mean lets get real, the reality is not all short story writers can do novels.

For me, 23,000 words is a novel.

Even with like, five different subplots going on. (I don’t generally have that much.)

Yes please. :slight_smile:

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I went over target yesterday so today I’m having a writing free Sunday. Netflixing Star Trek Enterprise instead. :smile:

That reminds me of putting Edgar Allen Poe in Star Trek for some reason.

And the Enterprise said, “Warp drive? Nevermore.”

And I’m just watching it for every time Trip gets his shirt off. :wink: :blush:

He’s wasn’t a bad looking fellow was he? :stuck_out_tongue:

On another note, I also do poetry. Combined old poetry forms into a new form that combines Lai, Haiku, and Couplet: the pattern is Lai, Haiku, Lai, Haiku, Couplet.

Going to see if I can replace the haiku with Tanka later.

Oh and it’s meant to be sung/spoken slowly.

NaNo thank you. Not worried about it. However, I have managed to get a few pieces written without too much trouble this week. So, I’m happy

Well, happier.