Let's build ourselves a Short Story community!

writing
discussion

And I’m in the Novella contest too, but the number of words doesn’t come easily to me. Except when I get started on a chapter, it tends to flow better than expected.
It’s the thinking about that many words [especially this last leg!] that’s daunting for a ‘butterfly’ brain accustomed to ‘flashers’ and ‘shorties’.

Ah, yes, I remember seeing your comment there :relaxed: I can write a lot when inspiration strikes, but in the dry periods, it’s hard. An issue I have now is that I have a lot of later chapters written, but I have to fill in all the chapters in between. They are important chapters, but I just haven’t written them yet.
And yes, I agree entirely! 500 words or a few thousand is all my attention span can handle, really.

It’s the flash fiction writing mindset right? I know when I switched to flash fiction, it was hard to even get back into normal length short fiction.

And knowing that 25,000 words of novella makes for a much longer Graphic Novel (which is my eventual goal) is making me really rethink my structure.

Where can I find all these contests people are mentioning?

This is the Open Novella one, Elivia -

https://www.wattpad.com/668941364-open-novella-contest-ii-welcome

But you needed to be through the first phase by end January and accepted, through second by 26th Feb [being judged now] and last by 26th March for final judging.

Think another just closed - Horrible Holidays but another opened - Murder Mysteries
Keep an eye on this site - https://www.wattpad.com/user/The_Bookshop
Contests are coming up there all the time.

It’d be nice if these links would be shared when anyone sees a new contest begin.

Thank you for the links! Yeah, it would be nice. #spreadthecontests

It’s a real struggle xD

Which prompt did you choose?

Tarot :blush: I debated between several prompts, but eventually settled on that one and it seems to have been the right choice.

That would be awesome to have down the road. I just started writing stuff about a year ago and my wording reflects that. I still write though because it’s fun.

I heard about this site when I was researching beta readers. Come to find out through the forums that it’s just as hard to get those here as it is an audience.

Thanks for the welcome! I’ll try to against my usual antisocial behavior and post more.

It’s never easy. Me? I just write and don’t care.

https://www.wattpad.com/693883958-smackdown-back-to-our-roots-back-to-our-roots

I saw this a week ago. I don’t know if you’d be interested.

I write for my wife and stepdaughter. I’m not looking to get popular on here. Getting good criticism was all I wanted from the start.

I hope you’ve managed to get some.

Ha! That seems intense, at least from how the description is written. I’ll keep this one filed away to look at later, thanks!

I had the same thought. I’m not ready for that kind of thing but it looks like it would be fun to try down the road.

The 500 word weekend-write-in prompt for Mar 01 2019 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

Hey, you’re Round 1 winner! Congratulations on your win! :blush:

Thank you :blush::heart: I was very clueless about that . . . I didn’t know until a friend told me haha!

You’re welcome! :smile: How’s writing going?