Let's build ourselves a Short Story community!

writing
discussion

Weekly Check-In

How has writing been this week?
Nice to see so many people chatting this week! Didn’t realise how many of you were taking part in ONC. What stage is it at/how’s it going?

@LaughandJoy @makingmywaves @music_ally @sarakbeeksma @cdcraftee @johnnedwill @StellaAddison @SylviaWolfe @ThomasWalborn @_beebbab @messyfirstdraft @Marigold91 @Medula-Oblongata @astrxphoria @KateAnnee @LadyofthePond @TEHauxwell @CrownedMadness @josephmpepe @MusketeerPrincess @Eliviasalt

For me, March has been off to a good start with a good writing session yesterday, but I’ve come down hard with a cold or something today, which is unfortunate. March will be a busy month for me, so I don’t really have any goals other than to not totally abandon writing for the month.

Well, on one hand was much slower than last week, but hopefully it’ll be better in the upcoming week

Writing this week has been super slow for some reason. I have no idea why. You’d think I’d be motivated to write a ton but nope

Been trying to finish a short story I started last week. Lost the motivation for it for the moment.

The source of my writer’s block has been partially cleared: the person I based a character on turned out to be aromantic, so not only does this mean I can keep writing, but it duck tales nicely into my next short stories, with a father/daughter relationship with a girl who is an Artificial Intelligence.

Not saying March will be easy.

Nope. Not doing it at all. I didn’t like the prompts, and 20k words? That’s twice as long as I’ve ever done for a story.

Instead, I’ve been indulging myself with shorter stuff.

It is OK. Especially considering I have exams going on. I wrote an entire short story. Well at least the first draft.

I haven’t written much at all this last week, having been preoccupied with packing and moving and all the stuff which comes with that- once I’ve settled into my new place and routine, then I’ll be getting back into it.

As far as the ONC is concerned, I’ve got 11,000 words posted, and up to 18,000 in my drafts, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to get it all together by the end of March, hopefully. I might not finish the story by the time limit, but I’ll certainly complete the word count.

I’m really looking forward to finishing this story so I can move onto my next set of ideas, or maybe start editing the novella I wrote before this current project. I found the printed out draft the other day and was just itching to read through and improve it…

I also won the February Contest that flash9-1-18 was holding, so that was great! :slight_smile:

A little bit harder. Struggled with some plot block but I got it worked out. Didn’t get much done yesterday or Friday but I’m planning to hit the keyboard hard today.

I’m currently working on probably the halfway point in my ONC novel, hitting a little bit of plot block as I know how I want it to end but need to work out the details of getting there better. I’m about to work on a chapter now.

I just took part in The Bookshop Gauntlet for January. It’s terrifying, and the judges don’t pull their punches, but I got a full five chapter critique for my prize, so it was worth the nail biting in the end. :laughing:

It felt like I didn’t do a lot last week, but according to my word count tracker I stayed pretty much on target so all the bad days must have been offset by a couple of good ones. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still struggling with the scene I’m writing at the moment though, which means my once a month update schedule has gone out of the window by a full five days. Hoping to rectify that and get back on track this week. If only work didn’t get in the way. :persevere:

Fingers crossed for you!

Sometimes your brain just needs a break, even if you don’t feel like it.

Hope it comes back soon!

Sounds like good progress!

Those are similar reasons to mine. I also don’t like the idea of having to hit a word count.

That’s good!

Congrats!

I know that feeling!

I always have this issue too :grimacing: Good luck!