Let's build ourselves a Short Story community!

writing
discussion

That and, sense I know eventually I plan on doing graphic novels, something that’s say … only 7,500 words, might be a volumes of content for a medium told in pictures, and only uses words to convey dialogue.

So writing a regular length novel, I’d suddenly have 6 volumes (about 6 chapters each in Tankobon). Which outside of serialization, I’ve gotten the impression anything longer than 3 or 4 volumes is pretty unheard of.

I might I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem so.

The 500 word weekend-write-in prompt for Mar 8 2019 is now available:

[The 500 Word Weekend Write-In]

500 words, with a new prompt every Friday. Everybody is welcome!

Weekly Check-In

Sorry for falling behind on messages this week, I kept hitting errors when trying access the site. I’ll need to catch up another day.

But anyway, how has writing gone this week?

@LaughandJoy @makingmywaves @music_ally @sarakbeeksma @cdcraftee @johnnedwill @StellaAddison @SylviaWolfe @ThomasWalborn @_beebbab @messyfirstdraft @Marigold91 @Medula-Oblongata @astrxphoria @KateAnnee @LadyofthePond @TEHauxwell @CrownedMadness @josephmpepe @MusketeerPrincess @Eliviasalt

Slow. Not that much done this week, unfortunately. I think I’ve got a story stuck in my head … .

omg I haven’t been here in ages but lately, I’ve been getting back into Wattpad a little, so uh, hi again!

Writing’s been kinda slow this week but I’ve been plotting a novel so most of my efforts have gone in another creative direction. I’ve also been working on a short story (magical realism) but I took a short break from that because I’m still not exactly sure what direction I wanna take it in yet. And in the time I’ve been absent, I finished a 17k short story! That’s the longest thing I’ve completed to date tbh haha, so I’m really proud of myself for getting it done, even if I plan on revising again later on :blush:. I’m still trying to get in the habit of writing a story consistently, even if it’s only a sentence every day.

Is it stuck in a good way or a bad way?

Writing was a bit rushed but good. Got some stuff out. Feels like it’s really slowing down as I reach the end of the book. I feel like most people have lost interest or dropped off which is frankly pretty discouraging.

Am prepping for Camp NaNo though. Trying out a new genre too. Sci-Fi Fantasy

Stuck in a not so good way. The other stories are having to make their way past it. It’s a bit like Larry, Moe and Curly trying to get through a door at the same time. Fortunately the story hasn’t gone ‘sour’ on me. I’ve had that happen before, and it can really ruin a week.

Oh oof, I definitely get the struggle of having my brain latch onto this one thing, regardless of what I’m already working on/prior responsibilities. At least you don’t seem to have an absence of ideas of inspiration!

Absence is not a problem. I have too many ideas at times, and not enough time to write them down. It’s one of the reasons why I took up writing short stories rather than longer form stories. If I ever get the desire to build on the ideas, I at least have them written down.

That or they end up as settings for convention RPGs.

Agreed. If you can’t read a book’s title, it’s not exactly appealing, is it?

I see you say it’s not a good stuck. Are you going to write it to get it out of the way?

Me too! Also getting better (I think)

Yeah, it’s very difficult. Sometimes I wonder whether anyone would notice or care, but I still feel bad. I think of how I would feel if someone took my writing and I can’t really bring myself to use someone’s art without permission.

Good advice! I think people forget how small the thumbnails are on Wattpad books. What would be fine on a published book is generally way too small on the Wattpad app.

That’s fair too.

I used to use PicsArt but I find Canva much easier. Dafont is a great resource.

Yeah it’s a really handy thing about Canva!

Good luck! Hope the waiting isn’t too painful!

Welcome back!

That’s great! Congratulations!

Good luck!

Sometimes people just need time to catch up, especially at this time of year. A lot of people I know are busy with exams/school work. Some people might also be waiting to binge the ending? I’ve done that before. I don’t want to get left on a cliffhanger, even if I know it’s only for a week, so I wait.

That should be fun. What made you want to try sci-fi fantasy?