LGBT+ clichés and/or tropes that you’d love to see more of

I want to see more of what readers may like to see from us authors. My current project is a paraquel series with LGBT+ MCs and I’m searching for book features that readers may want to see more of.

I’d like to see more run of the mill superhero books with LGBT+ characters, but not overly sexualised. Just heroes going about their everyday heroic stuff.

What in the world is a paraquel series? I’m curious. EDIT: Oh I looked it up it’s like a sequel or a prequel but neither of those things.

I don’t know whether it’s a trope–more butch/GNC ladies… women in suits… women with muscles… women in boots and with piercings… women in button-ups and slacks… women with short and dyed and funky hair… (dreamy sigh) girls…

Also trans people in general. And found family and healthy enemies to lovers with consent discussions! In general I think people underestimate how nice a scene with some communication between partners can be. It’s genuinely heartwarming to read about two characters speaking honestly to each other about their wants.

6 Likes

A paraquel is where the books are all happening at about the same time. Mine is told from the perspective of different characters all going through different stuff during the same time period and all connected somehow, either by an artifact or a character. I love how some movies do that so I tried a book series version.

Butch girls!!! Yes!!! Oh that’s so rare.

2 Likes

Your comment is a treasure trove of stuff. I think I’ve read only one book with a trans MC. Any suggestions for a good one?

This is excellent when done well. Very satisfying. Especially if it’s a natural, realistic, tension filled transition. I’d like to see more of this too.

Right? Like the “mundane”, everyday couple discussions filled with affection, compassion, a few inside jokes and just bonding. Portraying lovers like best friends too! Oh man. I’m so into this.

Thank you for your post. It’s fired me up for my next project. I’m thinking of an androgynous ace/aro in a queer platonic relationship with an alloromantic lesbian partner.

2 Likes

I LOVE THESE SO MUCH. I’ve always wanted to do something like this.
Though I want to do a series of books that’s not really a series, but different stories told in the same world and maybe the main characters from the last book make cameos. ;o

2 Likes

Knightly, romantic-type lesbians. Strength and love~!

Also romances between human ladies and non-human ladies. (Not like elves or stuff that are almost-human. Cute monster girls, or even something a bit more non-human-looking.)

4 Likes

I enjoy reading dark relatable books, that are more realistic.

And i think an LGBT superhero book would be a good idea.

4 Likes

Heyyy I just wrote one of these. It’s super fun. :smiley:

More LGBTQ folks with happy endings please :slight_smile:
Also more obscure LGBTQ representation. I’d love to see more of that!

4 Likes

Yes, you totally should! It would be such a fun, slightly complex, but rewarding experience.

1 Like

Love it!

Wow. Interesting. That would be fascinating to read for sure!

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing at the moment. They’re stand-alone stories with their own main casts, but sequential, all building up a greater myth arc and reveals throughout the books. Dove has a few significant characters from Papillon show up along the way.

also what I’m doing at the moment :3

2 Likes

No way! I’m coming to find it!

Why are writers so against the HEA ending? Lol. We’re getting so contemporary with our modern fairy tales without happy ending. I too appreciate the happy ever after feel at the end of it fits.

I think it’s difficult to write obscure LGBTQ characters because writers may be afraid of making even a single mistake in representation. Sometimes it happens to me because I’m ace trying to write about lesbian relationships, but I’m not so conversant with all the lingo/slang or how they relate when in a group. But I try and research as much as I can to try and balance out my lack of intimate knowledge.

I’m also hoping for more obscure LGBTQ stories.

3 Likes

Oooh. I’m sold! Coming to check them out.

1 Like

Well, Dove is still a work-in-progress, but hopefully I’ll finish editing and have it up sometime later this year.

2 Likes

I’m still new to the dark, gritty, realistic books, but I feel like there’s definitely a place for them on my metaphorical shelf.

More LGBTQ superheroes for sure! And with as visible relationships as their heteronormative counterparts, finding their damsel or lad in distress who’s always getting into tough spots ideal for saving.

3 Likes

Not to worry. I’ll place it in my library so I don’t forget.

Have you read the Deadpool/ spiderman comics.

There are some lovey moments between them lol.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of not burying our gays/LGBTQ+ characters too tbh. Let us survive and live long, boring, happy lives with our partner(s) and I am sold. It’s sad that it’s not as common as LGBTQ+ characters dying in media but I’m glad things are changing, albeit slowly.

5 Likes

Right? Haha. I’m a big fan of bittersweet endings, but still- on the happier side please!

This is true, and I definitely felt this while writing my transgender character. But I kinda just did what felt right and got sensitivity readers. I always tell people I’m willing to read for pan/ace/non binary :blush:

Heyyyy again. Me too :joy: the superhero story is a lesbian/bi relationship.

I started in LGBTQ writing ace characters, and adding in other LGBTQ characters (the transgender character from before ended up stealing the show in the end lolol) now that I’m more comfortable, I’m branching out!

Yup. You’re doing it right! I always get a sensitivity reader for the representation too. I just had someone who identifies as bisexual look over a good bit of Red Electron. And I had about 3 different trans folks look over The UnTitled before I posted it. No one ever really had complaints, as I do casual queer- everyone just HAPPENS to be queer and it’s not a big deal, and I dont try to go too deep into those aspects of the character for drama- but it makes you feel more confident to know someone looked at it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Perfect endings, LGBT+ or otherwise, tend to feel contrived and implausible. Ending on the upbeat, on the other hand, strikes me as a great way for your reader to walk away feeling good.

Sure. It’s a scary thing when you want to be inclusive and not upset anyone. But I think the trick is basically to have a character who just naturally is whatever, rather than trying to glue a label on a character and then force their behaviour inside a textbook list of criteria and behaviours and stereotypes. Labels have fuzzy boundaries and people step between them as they evolve and don’t always fit cleanly inside one or another - that’s why they keep proliferating. Obviously researching some basics is essential. But I’m cis and I’m writing more and more trans characters of varying flavours as central characters, and I’m assured by trans folks that they work fine.

Basically, not everyone who uses a given label will have exactly the same experiences, feelings, perspective, and so on as every other person who uses that label, so just make sure it’s plausible and consistent for that character and doesn’t include outright errors or stereotypes. It’s generally not that hard to find someone who does identify as whatever label.

This. Lots of this. ALL of this. Characters who are more than their labels, to themselves and to others.

5 Likes