LGBTQ+ in Fantasy

I’ve always noticed in the years I’ve read Fantasy (especially YA Fantasy) there is a massive lack in LGBTQ+ representation. The only obvious one I can remember is Cassandra Clare, but she seems to be an exception. Famous authors like Sarah J Maas, for example, completely skip representation at all (ignoring the awful situation with Morrigan). Other genres seems to be including more representation, but it’s severely lacking in Fantasy.

My question is whether any of you have found LGBTQ+ books in Fanatsy, and whether they are handled well? And why do you think it’s so poor in Fantasy novels especially?

More importantly, has anyone written or are considering writing one on here?

10 Likes

I loved Clare’s books and she sure has a lot of lgtbq+ in it :joy:
I can’t think of another one right away… perhaps Percy Jackson as well :thinking:

I have written a fantasy book with lgbtq+ side characters and I plan on writing one where the main character is bi and has an ace friend :see_no_evil:
What about you?

3 Likes

Hi, I’m currently writing a fantasy book and wanted to include a gay couple in it. They are part of the main character group. One being an angel and one being a demon. Do you think that this is a good idea?

5 Likes

I love her too! She was definitely the author that brought my attention to the severe lack of attention of LGBTQ+ representation in Fantasy.

I haven’t read Percy Jackson for years, so there might be some there? :heart:

My novel I’m writing at the moment has a bi MC. I’m including lots of LGBTQ+ in it but I’m terrified that people will think I’m adding it in there for the sake of being ‘diverse’ for clout. It’s not that at all. I just think bigger representation is important.

4 Likes

Yes! Of course! Any representation is good!

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m going to try and focus on their relationship a lot. I’m hoping that it goes well.

3 Likes

I’m only in book 4 of Heroes of Olympus, but apparently there’s a lgbtq+ character in book 6 :joy:

I’ve had people saying that to me :see_no_evil: But it’s only logical that there are straight and lgbtq characters, because so has our population 🤷🏻

2 Likes

Oh I like that idea :smiley:

2 Likes

The MC in my most popular novel is bi. It’s not focused on, or very prominent because her sexuality isn’t a main theme, but the evidence is there for those who pay attention.

4 Likes

@AWFrasier writes queer fantasy. All the MCs are in the LGBT+ community, and sexuality and various intersections of identity as a topic is in fact tackled.

Also, it’s not hard to find lgbt fantasy on Wattpad. A lot of LGBT+ writers on the site are connected (for many reasons) and it’s as easy as browsing their reading lists.

In mainstream publishing TJ Klune is a gay writer, and his popular fantasy/paranormal series has an LGBT+ main cast. (I also really like his work because he touches on asexuality quite a bit) I also liked short stories like “Pet” (with a trans MC)

5 Likes

I’m writing a fantasy with LGBTQ+ characters. I don’t understand why there’s so little diversity—so we can have elves and trolls and dragons, but let’s ignore the concept of two girls kissing. It really annoys me, though.

My story’s got a whole bunch of representation—my MC is bi, the dream demon she’s searching for is nonbinary, the crazy psychic is lesbian and dating the bisexual pawn shop owner, an asexual demon is best friends with a (male) succubus that quit seduction, the butch mermaid married the femme lighthouse owner…

I mean, it’s fantasy. Anything could happen. But honestly, my characters are based on people I know wither consciously or subconsciously. It’s not unrealistic

I think it’s an example of how LGBTQ+ is considered its own genre, when being LGBTQ+ is just part of a person as much as the color of their eyes or hair. A huge percentage of wattpad’s LGBTQ+ content is unrealistic bxb smut written for straight girl’s enjoyment or just overdone cliches. I’ve definitely found some good stories, but they’re few and far between.

5 Likes

I have noticed a lack of representation as well, and I’ve never been able to actually read one with representation for the LGBTQ+ Community, so it is one of the reasons why I’m writing my own fantasy novel with one specific rule: No major character will be white cishet just so I can mix and match.

2 Likes

Rick Riordan books have a lot and it’s really handled well. Maas has representations, more so within CC. They’re mostly hinted at but are still there. :thinking:

The latest book in the series I’m writing is gonna be covering it a lot more than my other one has. It’s something I’ve been planning for a while now

2 Likes

I’m honestly terrified to write diversity because it’s generally seen as ‘not your place’ if you’re not POC/LGBT+. I don’t want to take their ‘space’ or write them wrong. That means I end up with mainly straight characters with here and there a bunch of mental illnesses.

4 Likes

I think the Apollo books have a character called Alex who’s one of those people who are both female and male and sometimes switch between what they are, but it might be another book from the writer of Percy Jackson. I’m sorry for not using the right term, but it’s been years since I read that book

3 Likes

They’re from Magnus Chase :slight_smile:

3 Likes

See that’s what I like! I hate LGBTQ+ stories that literally shove sexuality in your face as though it’s a personality trait. Unless the person is vocal about their sexuality, then it should be subtly hinted at! :heart:

2 Likes

Ahh, right! Book 2. I just started re-reading on book one

3 Likes

Exactly! In a world where anything can happen, there’s such a stigma against sexuality? Makes no sense!

I’m so going to read your story! Diversity like that is really important, and it’s sounds really interesting! :heart:

Ugh, see that’s the worst! We’re in the 21st century! Sexuality shouldn’t be its own genre, it should be natural enough to fade into another. And don’t get me started on cliches :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I support this 100%

3 Likes