LGBTQ+ WRITERS

Hey people! I’m not new to Wattpad at all, but I am new to the Community Forum. Maybe I haven’t searched hard enough, but I haven’t found many up-to-date LGBTQ+ book clubs where we can read each other’s stories and provide thorough, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to each other’s books and support each other. I’m not really certain on how Book Clubs work, but this can serve as a big group chat for writers whose books have at least one LGBTQ+ protagonist (not a secondary character). Since “sharing your story” is not allowed unless under the Share Your Story topics, simply tell us your Wattpad username and the book you are writing. This isn’t supposed to be a self-promoting club, it is a club for writers who want feedback and advice from their fellow writers of the LGBTQ+ community!

19 Likes

Hello!!!

1 Like

I am part of the Queer Fiction book club run by @MaeveShawler. We definitely provide a lot of constructive criticism to each other. Each week we read one person’s story and provide feedback. It has actually helped me change and improve my story in certain areas. You should check it out if you’re interested.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/157458830-queer-fiction

4 Likes

Hey! I’m so excited to have found this thread. I’ve been searching for a more recent LGBTQ thread for a while now.

My Wattpad username is Darth Athena, and I’m writing a story titled Lizzy & Darcy.
It’s inspired by Pride and Prejudice. Lizzy Bennet is half Indian and Mr Darcy is reimagined as a girl, Darcy Williams…
I would appreciate any feedback on this! Thanks so much for this thread.

When Lizzy Bennet left New York and moved to Hertford, a small town in Washington, she knew that everything was going to be different. What she didn’t know was that she would meet someone who would change her life forever.
Darcy Williams is the reigning queen of Hertford Academy, and when Lizzy and Darcy clash, sparks of fury, and something more, fly. It confuses them both and Lizzy starts to discover her true self.

Lizzy must navigate through new emotions, friendships and hardships, all while dealing with her four sisters, an eccentric father, and a mother who, despite being in the West for years, is still trying to find a balance between her Indian heritage and her mixed family.

Junior year for Lizzy Bennet is going to be quite eventful.

Inspired by Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

1 Like

Hey!

Your story sounds really cool! I will be sure to give it a read!

1 Like

…hello, mine’s anohaname, my books aren’t really about romance but more on the adventures of two girls in love.
and i have this one book, there’s eight of them, one pair’s bxb and the other is gxg, not really much and they’re not supporting characters either, they each have highlights of their lives.

I’d appreciate if you can take a look at it and give feedbacks, I’d love to learn new things, kinda new at writing publicly.:+1:t4:
these are the titles:

forget-me-not : northern outcasts
RIOT Academy

2 Likes

Evening all! I’m Jae and I’m stoked to have stumbled across this thread! I pitch myself as just your average queer writer of Fantasy and Romance with a heavy focus on female castings and f/f relationships. I currently have two LGBTQ+ novels in the works, ETHER ROOTS and UNDERGROUNDER.

ETHER ROOTS (Stranger Things meets Practical Magic) follows the story of Anna, a runaway Witch hiding from the ghosts of her past, literally and figuratively, among humans. When Anna’s alias is uncovered, she’s thrown into a desperate man’s struggle that will no only drag her back to her ex-fiance and the Community she fled but brings her face-to-face with a world-eating monster raging to be freed from among the dead and a power that very nearly killed Anna in the first place.

This story is very near and dear to my heart and features an all female, all LGBT+ cast and some of the wildest world building I’ve ever done for a novel. I sat down to write just one book and wound up plotting six in total that will span the world and all the characters featured in this main story.

UNDERGROUNDER (Modern F/F retelling of the Beauty and the Beast TV series) The story follows Alexandra Bailey, a respectable New York reporter mistaken for a mob hit and left to die after an assassination attempt. Saved by a mysterious Samaritan, Alex finders herself at the heart of a mystery thirty-two years in the making as she works to unravel the secrets of the Underground world she was brought to and the beastly woman who saved her. A reporter’s drive is to expose and uncover, but the farther Alex digs the more she uncovers and the dicier her situation becomes. She never meant to fall in love along the way, and she certainly never meant to walk straight into a mob cover-up.

UNDERGROUNDER is my first solid crack at mystery/romance and it’s by far the most fun I’ve had writing in a while. Like ETHER ROOTS it’s primarily female cast and features a F/F romance from the jump, but it’s not a gushy story by any stretch. Angst and drama abound!

1 Like

I will be sure to check them out!

1 Like

Hey hello !

Actually, there is plenty of LGBT thread, but… more of them, happier I am :slight_smile:

I wrote BxB books in every genre and my username is the same as here, but unfortunately I am a French author… x)

But I’ll be happy to discuss with you anyway !

1 Like

OMG, your books sound so incredibly unique and interesting. I admire how you came up with sound plots like those. I definitely will check them out!!

…thanks

1 Like

Hey you guys! Mind if I share the latest draft of my book with you all? Not apart of the LGBTQ+ community but I need some feedback on this chapter.

2 Likes

…I’m okay with it.

I forgot to tell a bit about myself, so hello all! My name is Gracie, I identify as a cis lesbian, and have been writing since I was 6!

I currently am writing a book called I Walk the Line, a girlxgirl romance. The main character, August, is attending Cornell University as a creative writing major, and while at a college party she did not want to go to, she stumbles upon a gang in an alleyway and sees something she shouldn’t have. With her life now in danger, she has to deal with the consequences of that night—which includes the leader of the Blue Porcelain gang, Willow, a tall and brooding woman whose green eyes put the girl in more danger than being caught in a spiderweb of New York gangs ever could.

2 Likes
Summary

Maddie trudged her feet along the wooden floor of the library, her legs aching as she gave her college ID to the young man, who proceeded to let her in.

She looked up to see Justin, who waved to her, as she walked by. Hoping she would feel better, she walked over to him, butterflies in her stomach.

“Wow, you look terrible!” Justin teased.

The young girl beside him looked shocked, giving him a slap on the arm. “You don’t just say things like that to a girl.” The girl shook her head as Maddie narrowed her eyes in on her name-tag. Veronica. That’s a cute name.

Maddie waved nonchalantly. “Don’t worry about it. I know he’s only teasing.”

Veronica shook her head. "Figures. His mouth is bigger than his head anyways. Veronica snickered.

“Hey!” Justin shouted, offended at the accusation. “That’s not fair. My head is way bigger.”

Veronica covered her mouth, at the way Justin didn’t get what he inferred. “In that case, I concur.”

Justin looked at Maddie as she giggled, looking between her and Veronica. Finally, his brain caught up with what he hinted at. “Wait, I didn’t mean it that way. Maddie, please help me out here.”

Maddie shook her head, still giggling at Veronica’s sly comment.

“Thanks for making me laugh, you guys. I needed it.”

Veronica raised an eyebrow. “What’s gotten you so down, kid?”

Maddie sighed. “It was just my presentation. I was so nervous about it and to make matters worse, my crush was there, so that didn’t help matters. The members of my group probably did better than I did anyway.”

“I remember you telling me about your presentation. Don’t beat yourself up over it. I can tell you’re the type of person that would do really well on the project.”

Maddie turned her head away, hoping Justin wouldn’t see the blush on her cheeks. “Well, thank you.”

Veronica nodded. “I agree with Justin. You’re probably the type who carries on more than she can chew, right?”

Maddie nodded, lowering her eyes to the ground.

Veronica picked up on Maddie’s mood change. “Hey, don’t worry about it.” Veronica slapped a hand on Justin’s shoulder. “You don’t know how many times I’ve had to tell this guy here the same thing.”

Justin crossed his arms. “I’m right here, you know.”

Maddie laughed, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

“Anyway, I’m sure you did well on the project. I mean, I understand you being nervous around your crush and all, but you probably did better than you think you did.”

Justin tapped his chin. "Wait, I thought you said you got over your crush on the guy you told me about.

Maddie cleared her throat. “I am. Well, I did, anyway.” She opened her mouth, then closed it, unsure of what to say.

Justin looked at Maddie, noticing the way she clenched and unclenched her fingers. “Everything okay, Maddie?”

Maddie slapped her cheeks, trying to get herself to relax. “Yeah, but this is a new crush. At least I think it is. She…”

“Wait, she? That’s what you were tearing yourself up about just now?” Veronica laughed.

Maddie felt a flicker of irritation growing in her veins. “Well excuse me, if I didn’t know how to convey what I felt just now.”

Justin softly laid a hand on Maddie’s shoulder. “Maddie, you do know that there’s such a thing as girl crushes right?”

Maddie blinked, not understanding what Justin was saying.

Justin continued. “What I mean is girls you just admire from afar. You don’t have to have romantic feelings for them and what not.”

“Ohhhhhhhh.” Maddie shifted her weight from side to side. “I knew that.”

Justin and Veronica chuckled. “So you have nothing to worry about, okay?”

“Okay, thanks you guys.” Maddie pulled out her phone from her pocket, wanting to see what grade she and her team members got from their presentation.

“What are you doing?” Veronica’s eyes widened, having a feeling of what Maddie was about to do.

“Just checking if my presentation was graded yet.”

“Maddie.” Justin stepped toward Maddie, walking toward her. “Get away from the phone.”

“No.” Maddie run as fast as her legs could carry her to the elevator. “Not if you can’t catch me first.”

Justin looked toward the elevator, then Veronica, then back to the elevator.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Go get her, tiger!” She ushered Justin toward the elevator, waving goodbye as the elevator closed.

They make such a cute couple. Veronica thought as she went back to work, typing away at the computer.

1 Like

Of course! We are all ears!

1 Like

Just posted it in my reply to @anohaname

This is a very sound piece of writing! I only noticed a few grammatical errors, such as when you wrote:

“She looked up to see Justin, who waved to her, as she walked by.”

Putting a comma before a dependent clause can break up the flow of the sentence in a reader’s mind, so removing the comma before the words “who” and “as” should clear this up.

Your dialogue was very sound, and I could definitely hear the character’s words in my head as if they were really talking. But I think putting a little more detail between each character’s quote could really help give more pulp to the dialogue, especially concerning your protagonist, Maddie. You need to delve into her mind and go in more depth what she is thinking as she responds to Justin and Veronica and listens to them respond back. Sometimes writing is more about explaining the silence that comes between each character’s responses. People think more than they talk, so be sure to get inside your protagonist’s head.

Other than that, I really like this draft! Great work!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the critique! Will put it to work tomorrow. I’m so sleepy right now.

1 Like