Literature authors that inspire you/get in your head

Well I like elements of Romanticism and Post-Modernism myself. And elements of what we now in the very very post modern world, they call “romance.”

That and to me Historical fiction not being a considered a form of Science fiction, seems … increasingly kind of silly. History is a type of scientific process in itself.

OMG, ANother male reader of the Plum books.

I love them.

My intro to them was via my girlfriend when I lived in California. Se had one laying around, and I picked one up one Saturday and found myself laughing as Stephanie and Lula really mucked something up. Since then, I’ve read the first nine books. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Aww man you thought I was a dude lol it’s ok I’ve been called one before haha

I can’t disagree with you though! I enjoy them when I need a break from screens! :slight_smile:

I enjoyed Romantic works much more when I was in undergrad. But as I got older, they seemed too… melodramatic and maudlin at times. Though I love individual works still. Like the aforementioned Mayor of Caserbridge, or Hawthorne’s creepy, fantastic short stories.

Same goes for Postmodernism. At first, they were cutesy. The self-referential stuff made me think, “WOW!!!” But now, I’m a little jaded on the movement. Though still love Vonnegut, Catch-22, and Gravity’s Ranbow.

But for my money, I’ll take the Modernists. I can read Joyce, Faulkner, or Wolfe dozens of times and still walk away wowed, catching things I’d missed on my other readints.

1 Like

Sorry. I read your name as GianCarlos. My bad.

In my defense, it;s late. And I’m middle aged, so my eyes are ho-hum. But mostly it’s just an error on my part. I should have looked at the icon more closely.

That said, if I ever see you in public, I owe you a beer!

1 Like

What would William Gibson (the science fiction writer, not the other one with the same name) be considered? I have issues with his personality on social media (but then again it is social media) but his work still gets to me.

William Gibson is the bomb. He may be my favorite sci-fi writer.

1 Like

I think what I like about his work, is while it is science fiction, it seems to have a resonance that almost transcends science fiction.

I’m still not sure how much of an influence he is on me, as my own work has … drifted a bit from Cyberpunk.

Ex. While I have some similar themes to Cyberpunk, I write mostly historical figures (think Charlotte Corday or Napoleon) in a present day context. But I still have that similar high tech; low life.

By a bit, I mean … a bit.:stuck_out_tongue:

Cool. Gibson’s influenced me too. thing is, I’ve read some of your stuff last year, and it reminded me more of Burroughs… though without the fixation on junk. But trippy and funny, otherworldly and fantastic and yet with a discernible plot.

Yea combine his influence with my fascination with real people of the 18th and 19th centuries, I think if I wrote my work back in 1830, it would feel less stark than if I wrote my work now with Charlotte Corday.

In which case, the difference would have been more alternate history. But with her in the present day of 2018, it gives it … a different kind of flavor.

Because then it’s no longer a what if Charlotte was never beheaded story, it’s a what if she was around during occupy walstreet, and other uniquely present day issues. There were revolutions, but the tools used during them were different.

I…actually need to revisit my authors of choice. I don’t recall having favorites since middle school. I kind of need this, I think.

Any suggestions for revered or respected authors in the following genre (said author ideally writes in several of the mentioned, or some):

Psychological, Drama, Dark Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Mystery, Thriller?

Historical fiction is nice as well, maybe combined with some of the above. I should probably make an entire search thread on this, myself.

This new author, although more accurately a mangaka, is coming close to being a new Gibson for me, but for Historical fiction. I gotta say, it’s a little weird blending Yaoi with 18th century crime and punishment.

Here we go SAKAMOTO Shinichi.

PS. Blending Gibson cypberpunk cool with historical fiction? Sounds like Neil Stephenson. Ever read him?

1 Like

I’m guilty of not having read many of the classics and read mostly YA. I’m working on that, though. But, authors that inspire me are:

Edgar Allan Poe: One of the only classic authors I have read more than one work for. The Fall of the House of Usher really stuck with me when I finished it. I can still see the images that played out in my head as I was reading it.

Cassandra Clare: Her world building is spectacular! She’s able to seamlessly blend the modern world with one of her own. Her characters are rich and vibrant with distinct personalities. I wish I could write like her.

Ai Yazawa: She focuses on characters’ emotions and motivations to drive her stories. Even though her characters are achieving amazing things she always grounds them in reality. She’s not a prose writer, but a manga-ka (Japanese comic creator). But, even if you took away the comics aspect you’re left with a beautiful story.

Of course, there are a lot of other authors I love. These are just the first three that popped into my head first.

1 Like

Oh, gosh. Thanks to my school’s QB team, all the books I’ve read in the past two years are from “literature authors,” and let me tell you I’m obsessed. Here are some of my favorites.

• Victor Hugo: Hunchback is one of my favorite novels of all time, and I’m currently working my way through Les Mis. I could sit down and open up one of his novels and look up and realize six hours have gone by.

• Oscar Wilde: Once again, Dorian Gray is a favorite, and everyone needs to read it before they die. And if you ever get the chance to read his plays, they’re absolutely magnificent.

• Kate Chopin: My AP Lit teacher has made us read everything under the sun that Chopin has written and it’s all GOLD. Her use of metaphor and subtle foreshadowing is unparalleled.

• Khaled Hosseini: This one is a little more recent, but I have a strong, strong feeling that his novels will reach the realm of “classics” years and years into the future. If you want to read a book that will break your heart and make you reevaluate your purpose as a human being, The Kite Runner is the book for you.

• Emily Dickinson: Everyone loves simply cryptic morbid poetry.

• George Orwell/Ray Bradbury: Dystopia is my favorite genre of literature, when done well. Both Orwell and Bradbury execute it perfectly. Having read pretty much all of both of their work in school, I have grown such an appreciation for them.

And of course I love Shakespeare, Pynchon, and Nabokov. Still trying to make time to read Joyce, but he intimidates me.

(Bonus: Authors I don’t enjoy at all. Dickens, Twain, Thoreau, Hemingway, and Emerson sit at the top of the pack.)

Although I’m young I still feel inspired by stories of those from the past.
Osamu Dozai, not sure if that was spelled right but his works are dark but there is a lot to learn from him.

My exact same sentiment. Ulysses is sitting there, waiting for me, but am I ready? I don’t know…

3 Likes

Angela Carter. I could put her on a pedestal, I absolutely adore her work. She has inspired many things I’ve written. I wrote several essays on her stories at college and university so her writing stays with me.

Charles Dickens’ characters. They are so characterful and visceral in their descriptions.

The Great Gatsby sticks with me - the use of metaphor in particular.

Oscar Wilde - so over the top in his style but that’s the style I love.

2 Likes

I came here just to post Donna Tartt as a literary inspiration. Glad to see someone beat me to it! :blush: Her work surpasses the old dead white guys I was forced to endure all through high school and university. I love how matter-of-fact everything is, no waxing on about trivial things that only a few would understand. Tartt is relevant.

Another already mentioned is David Mitchell whose “out there” content is grounded in real world experience that resonates. Even his shady or grating or just plain deplorable characters have moments anyone can relate to.

I know exactly what you mean. I remember reading somewhere ‘Donna Tartt is the best male writer of her time’ and lmao that’s it :stuck_out_tongue: Even when her books do go into more specific, complex themes, they’re understandable, there’s an openness to them, an honesty, idk… I just love her writing so much :relaxed:

1 Like